My New HJT Log **{Vista}**

I am following your suggestions. I am going to keep Vipre Antivirus.

What would you recommend as far as Firewall? Zonealarm Firewall is great, but I have to shut it down to print stuff.

EDIT: I installed AVG Internet Security on my PC. I uninstalled Zonealarm Firewall. I ran VIPRE Antivirus, and cleaned cookies and Quarantined a Trojan I had lying around. PC seems to be running better, and quicker.

Edited by 911_H3LP3R

Hi :)

What would you recommend as far as Firewall? Zonealarm Firewall is great, but I have to shut it down to print stuff.

I can recommend a few solutions but you have to bare in mind every computer has a different footprint so to speak which is the result of software installed and system specifications etc.

Now you could stick with Vista's in-built and easy to gain access to modify settings via Start(Vista orb) and typing firewall in the Start Menu search box

or

Start(Vista orb) >> Control Panel >> Security >> Windows Firewall

This is a good alternative also, low on resources and actually modifies Vista's in-built firewall somewhat:

Vista Firewall Control - Further information.

These are reasonable third party software firewalls also. I cannot say which will work best on your computer but my advice if not keen on the above suggestion try out each of the below until you find one that works well on your computer and causes no conflicts etc:

EDIT: I installed AVG Internet Security on my PC. I uninstalled Zonealarm Firewall. I ran VIPRE Antivirus, and cleaned cookies and Quarantined a Trojan I had lying around. PC seems to be running better, and quicker.

I must say I am surprised running well as a system conflict will occur again at some point having AVG IS installed now, at the very least disable the AV component.

Rule of thumb I advise for any individual re security applications the below guidelines

• Only one instance of a Anti-Virus application installed and active in system memory, do not have any as on-demand. Use a online scanner if you wish for a further check.
  • Only one instance of a Anti-Malware application with its Protection Feature active. By all means have other applications installed as on-demand only scanners providing they are not active in system memory.
  • Only ever use one Third Party Software Firewall.
Any questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!

This thread is being closed because it has been resolved. If you would like it to be reopened please contact me or another member of the HJT Trusted Advisor's team.