Sign in to follow this  
pete_c

cant connect to wireless network

posting on behalf of friend.

she had norton installed but was getting error messages saying the reasons why she could not connect to the web were a firewall was blocking port number " "-ok i uninstalled norton as it was out of date and needed to pay for the update.but still it said the firewall was blocking internet access-i have done a search and found no norton items on pc-i have disarmed windows firewall in case that was stopping access but still windows says a firewall is preventing access.

would installing zonelabs overwrite any norton remains and get her back on the net?

thx in advance

she is running xp sp3

Not likely, has she checked to see if the wireless network she is using is using MAC filters or something? How about any kind of security, WEP, WPA or others? Can she connect to other wireless networks? Perhaps the network she is trying to connect to is for 802.11G or above, while she is on 802.11b.

David

Not likely, has she checked to see if the wireless network she is using is using MAC filters or something? How about any kind of security, WEP, WPA or others? Can she connect to other wireless networks? Perhaps the network she is trying to connect to is for 802.11G or above, while she is on 802.11b.

David

david,

she has wep enabled and had no problems connecting to this router before-only since norton sems to have expired has this prob arose--weird huh ;) oh and when taking laptop to her friends she still cant access www-same error message-so the prob lies with this firewall.

Edited by pete_c

david,

she has wep enabled and had no problems connecting to this router before-only since norton sems to have expired has this prob arose--weird huh ;) oh and when taking laptop to her friends she still cant access www-same error message-so the prob lies with this firewall.

avast home is a great free virus scanner.

is zone alarm or other firewall on?

run both malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy

posting on behalf of friend.

she had norton installed but was getting error messages saying the reasons why she could not connect to the web were a firewall was blocking port number " "-ok i uninstalled norton as it was out of date and needed to pay for the update.but still it said the firewall was blocking internet access-i have done a search and found no norton items on pc-i have disarmed windows firewall in case that was stopping access but still windows says a firewall is preventing access.

would installing zonelabs overwrite any norton remains and get her back on the net?

thx in advance

she is running xp sp3

Hi pete_c,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

If your friend was using an expired version of Norton Internet Security or Norton 360, then there is the possibility that some of the Norton Firewall components did not get removed correctly. To properly remove Norton from the computer, please follow the steps below.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

Thanks,

Mike