:( PG keeps sending the hottest WU's that they have and the temps in North America keep climbing so it is obvious they don't care about energy usage..............not from my computers but from the AC that I need to cool my house. There is nothing "green" about this research. I am forced to slow down or stop my folding until the summer heat is over or PG decides that WU's like the 5900 series fit their needs. So sorry to let the Pit team down point wise but I can't stand the heat. :sparkle:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52...;p=98776#p98776

Edited by cmstpprr

Three boxes and the room is 25' X 12' with 2 doors and three windows wide open. 1 9800GTX+, 1 gts250, 3 9800GT's, 1 [email protected] SMP and 1 Q6600 @3.0 2 SMP and 1 crummy Pentium D @ 3.0 runnin' SMP. Generates enough heat to power the USS Nimitz. I ain't complaining bout points but the heat is a killer and I don't live in Texas.'

Would it be feasible to get a window unit and remove the central air from that room? I'm just tryin to brainstorm w/ ya. Or what about settin teh puters up near a window and make some sorta plenum that they all exhaust into w/ a fan pulling it outside, kinda like a stove vent/vent-a-hood?

Edited by Tx Redneck

Would it be feasible to get a window unit and remove the central air from that room? I'm just tryin to brainstorm w/ ya. Or what about settin teh puters up near a window and make some sorta plenum that they all exhaust into w/ a fan pulling it outside, kinda like a stove vent/vent-a-hood?

Tex........the boxes are right under a window. And what I I have been complaining to PG is those 511 pointers are hot as hell not that they will damage my cards but that all that heat gotta go some where and that is my house.

Re: Announcing projects 5905 and 5906 (Core 14)

Postby MichaelB on Sat May 09, 2009 3:05 am

OK that being said, why do we have to fold the 511 point projects that just cook our gpu's, the other Core 11 projects are not as bad for heat. It seems Stanford does not care about the donors hardware or utility bills.

MichaelB

Re: Announcing projects 5905 and 5906 (Core 14)

Postby bruce on Sat May 09, 2009 3:46 am

Stanford has no idea which proteins will be more or less efficient on a particular GPU. They pick the proteins based on scientific interest and the software and the drivers do whatever software and drivers are supposed to be. The guys on the ATI side are working very hard to decrease the CPU processing so that the efficiency can be increased. It surprises me a little that you guys on the nVidia side would rather have NV design less efficient drivers.

Many people who run the GPU client also run the SMP client or the CPU client. I'm going to assume you do that. Perhaps you can try setting the priority "backwards" with the SMP client at "LOW" and the GPU client at "IDLE" That should slow up your GPU slightly and might make you happier -- though I have no idea how effective that will be until somebody tries it.

bruce

Site Admin

Total Placation to my complaint..............

You see they really don't give a crap about the donors. It is all about what they want for free.

Well that won't last very long. I'm sorry there does come a point where donating to science and the reality of the donation reaches a point of no return. Don't get me wrong I will fold for the Pit as long as it don't break the bank or make it so uncomfortable I can sleep in the same room as those boxes reside in.

Please everybody who reads this don't label me a whiner I just feel PG is missing the big picture .........the donors. I really enjoy the pursuit of science and the hobby of folding. OK I said enuff for now.

same thing we say to all our folders mb,

do what you can when you can, every little bit helps.

no pressures.

be nice if you could keep just the 1 pc folding smp and/or 1 gpu tho and you'll still be one of our top folders points wise anyway.

i'll make sure og gets to his mil. so no need to have wifes pc on unless she's using it. ;)

foldings not cheap on the old elecy bill either.

lots of people are having to cut back at the moment for one reason or another, so no worries.

:tup:

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

same thing we say to all our folders mb,

do what you can when you can, every little bit helps.

no pressures.

be nice if you could keep just the 1 pc folding smp and/or gpu tho and you'll still be one of our top folders points wise anyway.

i'll make sure og gets to his mil. so no need to have wifes pc on unless she's using it. ;)

foldings not cheap on the old elecy bill either.

lots of people are having to cut back at the moment for one reason or another, so no worries.

:tup:

:sparkle: Terry

I have all the respect in the world for you. And this has nothing to do with the Pit folders........PG came up with a group of WU's (511 pointers) that just produce heat like a volcano and they don't care. You can't fold the GPU client and not get about 50% of them daily. So I have a choice.......kill all of my 5 GPU's or just fold what they send (and roast). I always felt you fold what they send you and have folded every protein ever they sent me .........now I'm not so sure.

Also, if you're willing to void your warranty, you can do what I did: mod the BIOS to lower voltage.

It cut power consumption of the GPU core of my 4870 itself by at least 20 watts, so it's worth a shot. A significant reduction of power consumption amongst multiple GPUs can add up.

And you can also go the tried & true route of more airflow. It's the cheapest way to keep things from melting.

Edit: And as was suggested before, underclocking can help significantly as well. It's the shaders that do the work on nVidia's GPUs, so you can decrease voltages, underclock the core & memory, and reap the savings.

Edited by brandon

cmstpprr, I may not be far behind you. I have 7 rigs sitting here running and no A/C....and won't be any A/C..... I nearly generated enough heat this last winter to heat the entire upstairs of this old farm house. I don't relish feeling what it'll be like in Mid-August. Not to mention that every time I add a new rig, my elec. bill goes up another $50......:yikes:

:geezer:

I empathize with all you guys on the heat issue and electric costs though I believe my municipal utilities company is pretty cheap when it comes to the electric.....my latest electric bill is running me $105.93 for 12 clients 24/7 and a few lights....eventually I'm gonna need to turn on the air cuz this house holds in the heat big time even with all 16 windows open and a few fans blowing.......below are my electric rates: I typically use between 1000-1200 KWH per month running 7 smp clients and 5 GPU clients. GPU clients: EVGA 275, EVGA 260, EVGA 9800GTX+, 8800GTS (mobile), and a EVGA 8800GS.....still have the XFX 9800GTX Black card but not currently installed.

Rate*

Customer Charge per month

$5.00 / Month

First 300 KWH per month

$0.0636 / KWH

Next 700 KWH per month

$0.0577 / KWH

Over 1,000 KWH per month

$0.0501 / KWH

Edited by T.E.K.

Get solar panels an wind turbines :) save lifes and the planet at the same time.

I pay extra to support alternate methods of power generation here in Wisconsin I forget exactly what the surcharge per kw is. I feel that I do my part..........I don't think PG does. :(

Man, I wish there was a way for you to funnel the heat out the window w/ a fan and come sort of collector, like a vent a hood works. Orrrr, f you were closer to Texas, I'd run yer rigs for ya on my dime. I keep trying to get my friend to let me do this w/ his Q6600 and 4870 but he's afraid it'll break. While I understand that aspect, he has all that money tied up in the rig and its now his HTPC. :shrug:

If you wanna ship a few boxes down here, I'm sure I could convince "the boss" to let me set 'em up. Just a thought.

just thought i'd say mb i don't think PG really has any control over how the cards heat up more on some units than others.

i guess it's more to do with things like if the calculations produce lots of 9's(just for a theory,meaning more gates need to be opened/closed) or if the calculations are smaller and the data is able to be stored all in the cards memory and gpu, so then the cards don't get the breathing space(to cool a little) from having to fetch the data needed from the cpu and main memory/hard drive.

what ever the reasons tho i think pg just say we need this equation to be calculated so cut the equation up into equal parts and send them out and we'll put the pieces back together when we get the results, and it's luck of the draw if the equation part you get runs hot/cool, is easy/hard.

and there's no real way of going back to the start and trying to cut the equation up into different parts every time they find 1 part that runs a little hot because of the amount of time they'd be wasting.

no offence ment but just thought i'd try and ease your bad feelings towards pg at the moment...

i know it's just coz your hot and bothered.. :rofl2:

and i certainly know when i can't sleep because of the heat i get frustrated too.. ;)

get a nice cooler put it by the side of your bed and store a few :b33r: and when you wake up hot and bothered have 1 to cool down... :rofl2:

:thud: Well, as the old saying goes.........If You Can't Stand the Heat, Get Out of the Kitchen. With the GPU servers down for the last couple of hours it sure has been nice and cool in here :) I sure wish Standford would send a better mix of WU's including core 14 stuff which doesn't generate near the heat. I think we have beat this dead horse right into the ground :dead-horse: . When it gets really hot I will only run my GPUs at night. Thanks all for your input and understanding. :sparkle: