Sign in to follow this  
jpozniak

Strange problem with network switch

Hey guys,

So i have a:

motorola surfboard SB5100E cable modem +

Safeway SwitchLan 8 Port switch.

Basically, I can connect one pc with ethernet via the switch to the modem, I can then connect another computer exactly the same. If I try a third, it doesnt accept it like theres a maximum of two computers that the switch can handle? :huh:

I have tried different ethernet cables, different computers etc, all work fine if theres a maximum of two plugged in at once, plug in a third and it doesnt work?? The others continue to work when this happens and if you unplug one,plug in the third and reboot the kit then computer 1 and 3 will then work. :surrender:

I dont understand as the switch has 8 ports so id assume 8 maximum computers so why only 2 max?

Does anybody have any ideas on this?

If I am missing something of use, please ask!

thanks in advance! :tup:

You need to get a router or or set up ICS on one of the computers.

ok thanks!

but why does it allow two computers and not just one or eight? seems so random!

edit:

Also i have looked up this ICS concept but do I have to buy any special kit to do this? how does my computer act as a server? does it just connect to the switch as it is now but controls the data or something? is there a tutorial on this at all?

I found http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...rnetgateway.htm but it doesnt go over the hardware setup of it!

many thanks!

Edited by jpozniak

yes. the problem is that each computer needs it's own individual ip address, and you need a device to give out those ip addresses (the modem will only do two, apparently, and switches don't do that at all).

you can get a router to do this for you. also, the router will make your home network much more secure.

you can do ics, but it is unreliable at best, and living hell at worst. you can get a decent router that'll do the job for 30 bucks.

Edited by badbinary

thanks guys,

So now I have this old router I found, its a:

Sweex CC400020 ADSL Wireless router

but I am on cable so is there any way to use this device as just a router and use my existing cable modem as the modem part or do I have to have a specific 'router only' device? I cant really afford to go buying new kit!

I have tried runing it like so... internet=modem=router=switch

that setup just gets me internet on one computer which seems to be directly to the modem and if i plug in a second, it just connects to the router but no internet?

long story short, how do I turn off the modemrouter's modem part?

thanks!

no, from what i'm reading that isn't going to work. the uplink for it (the port that is supposed to go to internet) is for a telephone line (adsl), and you need one that is ethernet (for your cable modem).

if you want to go without a router, you'll need to go this way:

modem-->computer running ics-->switch-->other computers.

the computer running ics will need to have two ethernet adapters.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Hey guys,

So i have a:

motorola surfboard SB5100E cable modem +

Safeway SwitchLan 8 Port switch.

Basically, I can connect one pc with ethernet via the switch to the modem, I can then connect another computer exactly the same. If I try a third, it doesnt accept it like theres a maximum of two computers that the switch can handle? :huh:

I have tried different ethernet cables, different computers etc, all work fine if theres a maximum of two plugged in at once, plug in a third and it doesnt work?? The others continue to work when this happens and if you unplug one,plug in the third and reboot the kit then computer 1 and 3 will then work. :surrender:

I dont understand as the switch has 8 ports so id assume 8 maximum computers so why only 2 max?

Does anybody have any ideas on this?

If I am missing something of use, please ask!

thanks in advance! :tup:

you probally bought a swich at your local store before talking to computer assistant, and that a switch is cheeper than a router. the router has more brains behind it than a switch. a switch is great, for connecting computers to computers. you need a router to connect multiple computers to the internet.

it seams the dhcp server of your cable company is only allowing 2 ip addresses, you will need a router wich has its own dhcp server built in to creat a buffer from the cable/dsl line to your multiple computers.

dsl or cable modem -> router -> switches for adaitional computers.

most routers will have 4 ports, for 4 computers or devices, if you run out of ports, swiches will allow aditional ports to be attached.