Sign in to follow this  
LuisP24

World of Warcraft

Ok so I know what an MMORPG is, just never played any before. I've actually kinda always wanted to try WoW. Well a friend told me the other day that I should try it out, especially since I like RPGs. Now I'm no dummy, I know WoW is way different from Legend of Zelda! :P (Zelda is the best RPG ever made).

Any who, I'm game so my friend is letting me borrow his copy since his PC is broke. He says that I can install it and play no problem for free. Something about a trial game to check it out.

So my question is.. whats the deal about free trial? Does that mean normally it costs money to play?

yea you do pay every month, or you can pay by the year too i think.

my buddy plays this and i dunno i just cant justify paying to play it. only thing i have payed money to play was games on xboxlive, but with xbox live i can play any game online that i want, either a game i bought borrowed or rented.

but then again he plays it quite a bit since being layed off work, so i guess if you really enjoy it, then sure.

Wow is a rly rly rly Fun game been playing it for almost 5 years yea there is a trial you install the game with the disk and you go to the website to make your free account

https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/trial/freetrial.html

and just click create 10 day trial (dont download anything from it becuase you already have the disk) but anyway yes most likely if you never played any other mmos you will love this one then just be ready to stop play other games for a long time lol im finally taking a break becuase im trying to play my Xbox alot more and xbox live is my new thing now

and have fun playing wow

WoW cost 15$ a month if you pay online for it but if you dont have a credit card you gonna have to go to the store (walmart,gamestop,target or what ever) and buy a WoW card which is like 30$ plus tax and that covers you for 60days (2months)

Edited by IceBear

$15 a month doesn't seem too bad, though I have to agree that I don't see what the point of paying to play is.

WoW is one of the best places I have found to kill brain cells. :)

Well if thats the case that it's one of the best ways to kill brain cells.. may as well play it then. Not like anything else here in USA promotes brain cell growth/stimulation.

$15 a month isn't bad at all. When you get your guy strong and get a good guild it is really stimulating when trying to take down the tougher 25 man instances and get the higher end achievements. All depends if you have any brain power at all, if your stoopid it probably isn't the game for you beings it does exercise your mind.

I pay for 3 months at a time... i know im gonna continue to play so its a buck or two cheaper a month, but gives me enough time to cancel account if I have the need to.

Which i wont. ever.

Meh, 15$ is pretty decent if you only play wow, and not any other games.

Considering that most of us can burn through some of the longer games, such as FO3, Dead Space, and other releases in less than 2 weeks and they cost 50 bucks a pop and are really boring to repeat.

I think wow the 6 month subscript was 77 dollars, which makes a year 144+50 dollar software. About 200 bucks. 350 for 2 years + sooftware.

Thats only 7 new releases of other games.

Considering in the past 2 years (since I've gotten my good enough to game PC), I have beaten and played : FO3, Dead Space, Far Cry 2, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Spore, COD4, COD5, Mass Effect, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky.

That's about 600 dollars in software, and I know I am missing a few games..

To be completely honest however, I generally like to "test" a game and purchase it if I think it's worth my money.

Out of all those games I only actually own: Fall Out 3, Dead Space, Bioshock, and COD4, and Far Cry 2.

WoW also tends to have a very attractive and entertaining social community.

A lot of hilarious people doing hilarious things all the time on WoW.

Having said that, I don't miss the game all that much. College life > wow.

Gotta be honest with that. Serious girlfriend, partying, new friends to make.

Don't play wow in college. Just don't.

Ya Really, WoW will be a waste of time and money.

People (like my little bro) will literally spend more hours a day on that game then anything. While in that day they can go to work, play a few hours of games, get stuff in life done. But no, they stay on WoW.

Dont fall into it. I played the free trial and I was bored after day 2. I just couldnt seehow I could pay for something that COD4 cant do.

did you honestly just compare cod4 to wow??? lol,,,, wow

i play it, have for a year or so. it's alright, gives me something social to do with other adults and the guild i'm in. basically only play it on saturday, but i let my kid run a character on it during the week after school. i know that's against ToS, but he never gets about 20 and just figured out how to party, LOL

get bored, take a brake from it. start up again when you get bored of other games. and if you buy 6 months, that costs 75 or so. many new games are releasing at the 60 dollar bracket now. so i'd rather pay for a game and get to know some "interesting" peoples than just randomly getting a group together to kill nazi bad guys. we've been doing that for what? more than a decade?

though i do know someone who spends 16-18 hours a DAY on it. worthless in my opinion.

oh, and it's nothing like zelda, lol

and when you do the trial, have your friend give you a trial keycode so if you end up buying some game time after your trial, the both of you get some goodies, a special mount i believe, boosted xp when leveling together, and he'll get a 1 month free game time.

did you honestly just compare cod4 to wow??? lol,,,, wow

i play it, have for a year or so. it's alright, gives me something social to do with other adults and the guild i'm in. basically only play it on saturday, but i let my kid run a character on it during the week after school. i know that's against ToS, but he never gets about 20 and just figured out how to party, LOL

get bored, take a brake from it. start up again when you get bored of other games. and if you buy 6 months, that costs 75 or so. many new games are releasing at the 60 dollar bracket now. so i'd rather pay for a game and get to know some "interesting" peoples than just randomly getting a group together to kill nazi bad guys. we've been doing that for what? more than a decade?

though i do know someone who spends 16-18 hours a DAY on it. worthless in my opinion.

oh, and it's nothing like zelda, lol

and when you do the trial, have your friend give you a trial keycode so if you end up buying some game time after your trial, the both of you get some goodies, a special mount i believe, boosted xp when leveling together, and he'll get a 1 month free game time.

Ya lol

look at it this way

you can talk to people

you shoot peoples heads

you get a point (kinda like gold)

easy hahaha

Sounds like a good deal, I'll check it out.

And if I don't have any fun with WoW, at least I'll have fun trying to run it on this system!! :lol:

CPU --> 1.5GHz P4 (socket 423)

GPU --> GeForce2 GTS/Pro (half dead, no cooling)

RAM --> 640MB (2x256MB & 2x64MB Samsung RDRAM)

Sound --> Turtle Beach Santa Cruz - Altec Lansing ADA885 speakers

PSU --> 250w

It's a Dell Dimension 8100 from 2001. And as a side note, it seems there's no working thermal sensors.

it'll run fine, just turn down all the goodies.

i've seen it running on a 1 gig celeron w/ onboard graphics and 512 ram.......

just starting out though you won't notice anything really. most the heavy lag is found in the lvl 80 and end game stuff. Like WinterGrasp where enough people normally pvp at the same time to break functions like the timer and what not, lol

Meh, it will be 15 FPS max even with all the settings off.

A Cheap PCI video card and a little more ram is about all you can do for that thing.

The GeForce2 I have in there now is doing around 75-80 fps even half dead. Though I've seen others using the same card (AGP 4x) and get over 120 fps.

My only other option for graphics right now is an ASUS AGP-V3800M 32MB AGP 4x TNT2

I don't have any other graphics cards on hand right now.

As for RAM, nothing doing there. This system takes RDRAM and Dell wants $500 for 512MB. $500 could buy me a laptop from Best Buy that already has triple the memory, hard drive space and a ton more than this junk Dell has in it.

sure is if you have all effects off and 8*6

have you ever turned off the eye candy and wondered alone in the woods? get amazing fps, lmao

Edited by wdeydwondrer

Well, I guess my video card was always decent enough to run a 1280X1024 with all the eye candy off.

Personally, I like the highest resolution, and then you adjust the eye candy. If that doesn't work, then I knock the resolution down a tick.

No way.

There is no way a GeForce2 can do that...

What resolution are you playing on?

You mean the 75-80 fps? I see that all the time playing ePSXe Playstation emulator. I usually have res set for 1024x768 cause it seems to look best and fit my screen best. Thats on a 16" Dell CRT. I can get Gran Turismo to play better on the computer than on my Playstation console.

The only game that really gives me any trouble is the Grand Theft Auto games. I can play them fine for the most part, until there's a lot going on. Like if there's a ton of traffic or people in the same spot. More of a problem with GTA:SA but sometime in Vice City and GTA3 as well.

As for others claiming to get around 120 fps with a GeForce2, probably not in games. But I've seen posted results here, in the Linux forum. I'm sure that its a different kind of test/result as it was just from running glxgears in terminal.

In Windows I'm using the last driver available for this card (71.89?) and I could OC the card if I wanted. But I won't do that since I have nothing to fall back on when I blow it all up :lol:

Maybe I'll just wait until I get my new system before I do any more gaming.

Ah yeah... so Uldar is about the most amazing thing since slided bread.

i just sold my account for 450$ lol i used that money to get my subs lol