Overdrive data defrag results worse after Defragging

ezjoe

New Gateway DX4710 running Vista-x64: Smart Defrag in the free ASC suite reported 0% fragmentation of my hard drive. Overdrive then reported 37% data fragmentation, so I ran Defraggler, then Jk Defrag, then Vista Defragmenter. Now the Overdrive test reports 48% data fragmentation and 0% program defragmentation. Running PC Pitstop Optimize doesn’t illuminate the topic either. How can data fragmentation get worse by defragging? Why are the results so inconsistent? Is there is some kind of irregularity in the disk fragmentation assessment parameters of your system performance tests? How serious is it to have such a high percentage of data fragmentation? Apparently, PC Pitstop Disk MD does defrag files also? Do any free defraggers fix data files? Please sort this out for me.

:wp:

Your description of the issue indicates that the fragmentation is most likely in the Vista restore points.

You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or, if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Vista) and you should see great improvement.

We have dropped Vista restore points from DiskMD 2.0. The problem is that the amount of space Vista allocates for system restore ends up with several restore points in the 10-16 GB size, or larger. It can take a considerable amount of time, often an hour or more, to chug through a single file that large. When there are three or four of them, the program appears to be 'hung'. Also, when it takes an extended period to run through the restore files, Vista will go ahead and 'relock' the files after DiskMD had unlocked them. We want DiskMD to be relatively quick to run, so Vista restore points, although reported, are not defragged.