question on performance test suite

ginahoy

http://pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=22051955

I tested my system earlier today while my USB HDD was connected. I guess because it's a USB drive, the speed was very low (19 MB/s). Not that it matters, but I wanted to see what my computer's percentile would be without the slow-poke USB drive. However, when I re-ran the tests, the USB drive results continue to show on the results. So I purged the previous test results, but drive H continues to show up in my results, with the timestamp from the earlier test.

Is there something wrong with the Purge feature?

David

Did you rerun OverDrive after purging the old tests?

Yes, the linked report in my original post was from *after* purging previous tests. As you can see, my USB drive (drive letter "H") still showed up. I just ran Overdrive again and USB is still showing up. No biggie, but there seems to be a bug in the purge script regarding removable devices.

If you look at the Test History page, it shows the two tests I ran after the purge:

April 27 at 22:20

May 1 at 09:55

HOWEVER, notice that the timestamp for the H drive is Apr 27 at 17:55, which was from a test I ran *before* I purged my test results.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/testhisto...?conid=22051955

David

I tested a Western Digital 4GB, a PNY 2GB, and an OCZ 4GB on three different computers and the drives were purged as expected. Is there anything exceptional about the H drive you're using?

I tweaked a couple of things from this end. Please run two or three more OverDrive scans to build up the history, and if the issue remains I'll ask the developer to take a look.

I tested a Western Digital 4GB, a PNY 2GB, and an OCZ 4GB on three different computers and the drives were purged as expected. Is there anything exceptional about the H drive you're using?

I tweaked a couple of things from this end. Please run two or three more OverDrive scans to build up the history, and if the issue remains I'll ask the developer to take a look.

I ran a couple more tests, same results. I noticed on the the April 27 test at 22:20 was dropped. Is this by design -- that only the last 3 tests are stored?

My H drive is an older WD 80 MB.

In your case, when you removed the drive, did another device take over the drive letter? In my case, I have an internal HDD partition with the letter I: that does not change. I'm guessing the purge script may only work if the removable drive is the highest letter (which is often the case).

David

I noticed on the the April 27 test at 22:20 was dropped. Is this by design -- that only the last 3 tests are stored? ...

Oops. My bad. Looks like I whacked the 4/27 test trying to get the H drive out of there. There is no limit as to how many tests will fit in the history. (Well, there may be a limit, but it is higher than three and I haven't hit it in six years of testing.)

I'll ask the developer to verify, but I think you are correct that a drive name in the middle of a series of drives that are in use will not be purged. On all three of the computers I tested, the drive letter is freed up for reuse once the drive is disconnected. Does your H drive show in My Computer or in Disk Management when it is disconnected? On my Vista box there are a couple of memory sticks/flash cards that still show in 'Computer' once they are disconnected, but they don't show in OverDrive as they follow the standard naming convention and are the last assigned drive letters.

I just tried to run Overdrive tests again, after I updated my video drivers. After the tests completed and I acknowledged the blue form, I got some sort of error message saying something to the effect that the site could not load the results and to try again later. I'll check back tomorrow.

I'll ask the developer to verify, but I think you are correct that a drive name in the middle of a series of drives that are in use will not be purged.

The way it's supposed to work is that drives only disappear when you delete a configuration. Purging old tests shouldn't affect whether a drive is shown or not.

There can be many configurations for a computer, and many tests for a configuration. We don't delete a drive from a configuration just because you turned it off for one test, since you might turn it on again for another test.

I suspect that you're taking the scores and rankings way too seriously.

:blink:

The way it's supposed to work is that drives only disappear when you delete a configuration.

Thanks for clarifying. Initially, I didn't see a way to delete a configuration, but now I do. For some reason, I'm seeing different menus on the left-side frame, depending on how I got there. :blink:

I suspect that you're taking the scores and rankings way too seriously.

I can see why you'd think that, but the reality is, my system is very middle-of-the-road. I was trying to understand some rather strange (inconsistent) results on my video and primary HDD, and got sidetracked on the USB drive issue. I'll start a new thread on the specific issues I'm troublehooting.

BTW, the "unable to load results" error resolved itself when I deleted my previous config.

Thanks,

David