trace route results

ginahoy

When I run trace route with reps-per-hop set to 3, I consistently get 67% loss at first hop, which is my router (192.168.0.1). I increased to 10 reps-per-hop and consistently get 90% loss at first hop.

(Actually, I got 100% loss at first hop on one test, but the test proceeded normally after that. I don't understand how there can be a trace when all packets were lost!)

Can someone help me troubleshoot what may be going on with my router? It's a Linksys WRT54G. I'm connected via RJ45.

Edited by ginahoy

Unless this just started it sounds like it is not configured properly, try dumping everything in the Command prompt window

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Check your settings make sure your on the correct channel and what not

If that does nothing reset the router and re-install and leave the settings at default

Bear

Thanks, Bear. That did it! Who knows how long my config might have been that way, but I did notice my connection times had seemed sluggish for the past several days.

Here's my latest trace routes:

http://www.acrightsize.com/files/traceroute2.jpg

http://www.acrightsize.com/files/traceroute3.jpg

As you can see, there's a high loss on an unnamed intermediate hop. I got similar results over several tests. Since that hop is sandwiched between two Cox routers, I guess it's safe to assume it's within Cox's network. If this continues for a day or two, do you think I'd get anywhere by calling Cox tech support?

David

Ok. Running tracert from DOS, I'm getting time-outs (asterisks) in 1, 2 or all three RTT columns for the 4th hop, but no problems on the 1st hop to my router. The RTT's to my router are always either 18ms or <1ms.

Oddly, when I ping from DOS, I'm not seeing any losses, despite the tracert timeouts at the 4th hop. I pinged 30 packets multiple times.

When I use the Trace Route utility at PCPitstop, I'm back to 90% loss on the first hop. I tried the flushdns/release/renew command sequence again but the losses only dropped to the 40% to 60% range.

So it would seem I have two unrelated problems.

On the first hop (my router), there's a contradiction between the PCPitstop Trace Route results and the DOS tracert results. What does this mean?

And the hop 4 problem is consistent regardless of the method. That's a router within Cox's network. The IP address varies, but always begins with 72 or 70, and never has a name. Should I contact Cox?

Thanks,

David

Could be you need an update on the drivers and firmware, I googled your router and there are

numerous issues related to time outs and lost packets.

Linksys

Once you have the download reset your router to factory by using the reset button on the back

and then unplugging the power and both cat 5 from the back, remember you will also have to

reset your modem as well.

Run the install and leave everything to default, you can change what ever you want to change

after everything is set up.

Don't forget to write your settings down ie: router name and password and location.

After you get done you may have to set a point with windows as well.

Bear

Thanks for the heads up. I will take your advice. I last upgraded the firmware right after I bought it. I have ver 6, which was supposed to be solid, but that was then... ('solid' may mean a product hasn't been in the market long enough to know the *real* story).

It's been a while since I set up the router, but I recall tweaking a few things over the years. But I'll take your advice and start off with default settings before I update anything.

Just to clarify, what did you mean by...

"you may have to set a point with windows"

Thanks,

david

Edited by ginahoy

I upgraded my router firmware. The version had incremented all the way from 1.00.x to 1.02.6, so I was hopeful my old f/w was the culprit. I started with default settings, as suggested, but no joy. I still get high packet losses at hop 1 (router) and hop 4 (intermediate cox router). In any case, the previous config only had two differences: I enabled encryption (WPA Personal / TKIP) and lowered the MTU from 1500 to 1000.

My computer is hardwired to the router so I removed the router and connected directly to the cable modem. The packet loss problem disappeared. This certainly implicates the router.

Is there anything else to do other than toss it?

I'm puzzled why I would see no losses on hop 1 using DOS ping and tracert commands, but consistently see high hop 1 losses when using the PCPitstop utility.

A number of times, PCPitstop shows 100% loss on hop 1 or hop 4, but is somehow able to continue to the destination. How is this possible?

I found another Windows-based program to compare -- Roadkil's Trace Route 1.2. It consistently shows 0 losses on hop 1.

All of this makes me wonder if PCPitstop's Trace Route utility is providing bogus results, and I'm on a wild goose chase??

Just to update and close out this thread, I just installed a new WRT54GL router. The hop 4 losses are now gone, and my browsing seems snappier.

Prior to installing the new router, I was getting anywhere from 0 to 100% losses on hop 1 from my PC (typically closer to 100%), and none from my wife's laptop, which is wireless.

With the new router, I'm consistently seeing 100% losses on hop 1 and no losses at hop 4 (or any other hop) after 10 tests with 10 reps per test.

Obviously, the hop 1 losses are bogus since the Trace Route completes normally. I'll just chalk that up as one of life's mysteries.

David

Thanks for the update.

For what it's worth, I always see 100% loss on the first hop if the computer is behind a router. I used to know the explanation, but as I just think of it as 'normal' I don't remember any more. If I recall correctly there are certain routers that don't play nicely with trace route.