Windows Vista 64 versus HP Color LaserJet 2840

Can anyone confirm that they have accomplished this combination? I have grabbed the drivers from HP, and it just isnt working... Trying the third driver now, they give the option of a PLC5 driver, a PLC6 driver, and a Postscript driver. The first two wouldnt work, downloading the Postscript driver now and hoping for the best.

Help?

-myk

I have exhausted every driver from HPs website to no avail.

Perhaps the best method at this point is to replace Vista 64 with Vista 32 for the client?

Open to suggestions...

Thanks,

-myk

Yes, I tried hooking the computer up direct. Vista asks for the correct driver file, at which point I can direct it to any of the three folders created by the software from HP. These folders contain .inf files, and none of them work.

Meanwhile, I can connect it just fine from the Vista 32bit machine in the next office...

HP also doesn't offer free chat for what they consider "business" models..

Wanted to check all my options before recommending the client pay HP to hook up a printer :rofl3:

psicon,

If you clicked on any of those titles of drivers (description) it has install directions, one for if its an upgrade for existing hp driver and directions for new install of driver. Perphaps you'll find something helpful.

assuming I understand the instructions I read, they have to do with policy management being enabled or disabled. This, i think, suggests that the machine is on a domain server and user permissions may be an issue. Maybe I'm wrong, but i don't think any of the information specified in those instructions is helpful. Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended my you suggesting I read them, nor am I angry about your answer.

It gives the same instructions for Vista 32 bit, but I can assure you, none of the extra stuff was needed, just point Vista to the directory with the .inf files, and it just worked..

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

what driver version myk ?

edit: one thing i noticed about windows' it confuses between usb ports, no matter what computer windows is installed on' i have experienced this behavior.

try a different port.

Edited by duanester

psicon,

Those install instructions and read me made my head hurt but was hoping you would find something in there that would be helpful.

Found a very interesting post on the hp biz forums though, reguarding that printer and vista 64.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums...hreadId=1329311

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums...eriesId=3656598

Many unhappy users trying to get the 2840 to run on vista 64.

Edited by Zowie

what driver version myk ?

edit: one thing i noticed about windows' it confuses between usb ports, no matter what computer windows is installed on' i have experienced this behavior.

try a different port.

I get the same result no matter if I try a USB port or through the network while the printer is attached to another computer..

On a side note, my Linux laptop prints to it with no problem. Offered to trade laptops with him :)

not sure if it's the problem but i came across someone with 64bit os and this fixed his problem seems it's a usb speed problem, well for him anyway.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?act=...=3&t=167889

here's the full topic, his is last post dated this month.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...0a-053608b06645

Edited by terry1966

and someone used the universal 64bit driver and got it working...

also this

Oliverpc,

Try this:

Disable the "HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service":

1) Click on the "Start Menu" icon on the bottom left corner of the screen, type "services.msc" in the "Start Search" edit box, and hit enter. This may trigger Vista to pop-up a "User Account Control" dialog to prompt for permission to continue. If it does, click "Continue" to allow Vista to open the Services management console application.

2) The Services management console application is made up of 2 panels. The right panel contains a list of all services available on the system. Scroll thru this list (they are in alphabetical order) and look for a service called "HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service".

3) Right-click on "HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service" and select "Properties" to open the "HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service Properties" dialog.

4) From the "HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service Properties" dialog, click on the "General" tab. If the "Service status" shows that the service has started, click on the "Stop" button to force the service to stop.

5) Change the "Start type" to "Disabled" and click on the "OK" button on the bottom of the dialog to apply the changes.

Please let us know if this fixes your issue.

Thanks,

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...e8-611eae90043d

looks like using VM also works....

here's what's up with W7 in the future...

As part of the upcoming Windows 7 Release Candidate milestone, Microsoft will release a beta version of Windows XP Mode, which allows users of Windows 7 Professional and above to launch many older Windows XP productivity applications directly from their Windows 7 desktop. The Windows XP Mode stand-alone feature is specifically designed to help small businesses that are using Windows XP applications move to Windows 7. For larger businesses, Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V) MED-V 2.0 builds on top of Windows Virtual PC and provides centralized management of Windows XP Mode. MED-V 2.0 will be available in beta within 90 days of general availability of Windows 7.

M$ is aware of compatibility issues but your going to have to wait or use VM as it is now to use the driver