Test Results Vs. Reality?

brewbob

I bought and ran Optimize this morning. But, I ran three different internet speed tests, averaging around 850kbps for download and 325 for uploads.

After running Optimize, my download speed for downloading a video was the usual ~85kbps. I ran the internet speed test on Pitstop and it was the same as before I installed Optimize. I understand that download site servers can vary, but why the big difference between test results and real-time?

My connection is via Verizon DSL.

:wp:

Not only do server distances and test types vary, but of necessity, Internet speed tests are of a controlled nature, that is, downloading a certain type and size of file for a pre-defined period of time.

If you open a ticket at our help desk and post an OverDrive link we can send instructions to get a look at your Optimize logfile:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

:wp:

Not only do server distances and test types vary, but of necessity, Internet speed tests are of a controlled nature, that is, downloading a certain type and size of file for a pre-defined period of time.

If you open a ticket at our help desk and post an OverDrive link we can send instructions to get a look at your Optimize logfile:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

Thanks, I.G.

I'd rather not open a help desk ticket, as I don't have a beef with Pitstop. Just want to find out why Verizon isn't delivering on the advertised internet speed on their DSL.

Problem: when I go to the Pitstop page to run a scan, I now get redirected to a page that warns about Mozilla-based browsers. I'm running FireFox and would rather not install IE. How could I have run the free Optimize scan, though, using my FireFox browser?

Optimize is browser-independent. It uses some of the browser components that are part of Windows, but it doesn't care which browsers are installed or used.

OverDrive relies on Active X and uses active server pages (.asp) so it does need to be run from a browser that supports Active X. If Firefox is your browser of choice, you may want to take a look at the IETab plugin:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

DSL can be impacted by the distance from the switching facility (exchange). I believe the maximum distance before there is a performance dropoff is three miles. At three and a half performance loss can be as much as half the advertised speed.

Edit, I found this chart that, while not specific to Verizon DSL, does illustrates the issue:

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/in...e_adsl/extreme/

Optimize is browser-independent. It uses some of the browser components that are part of Windows, but it doesn't care which browsers are installed or used.

OverDrive relies on Active X and uses active server pages (.asp) so it does need to be run from a browser that supports Active X. If Firefox is your browser of choice, you may want to take a look at the IETab plugin:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

DSL can be impacted by the distance from the switching facility (exchange). I believe the maximum distance before there is a performance dropoff is three miles. At three and a half performance loss can be as much as half the advertised speed.

Edit, I found this chart that, while not specific to Verizon DSL, does illustrates the issue:

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/in...e_adsl/extreme/

I added the IE tab plugin, restarted FireFox, but when I try to do the scan it still redirects me to the Neptune page. After reading the issues associated with Neptune, I'll pass.

Would it be worthwhile to install IE just to do the scan? I can always trash it afterward.

BTW, I checked the internode page. I live in a rural area, with the closest "city" about 20 miles away. Unless I go back to Time Warner cable, I guess I'm stuck with the current internet speed.

Thanks for your help!

I added the IE tab plugin, restarted FireFox, but when I try to do the scan it still redirects me to the Neptune page. After reading the issues associated with Neptune, I'll pass.

When you open Firefox, open the IE tab before you do anything else. Then broswe to PcPitstop and take the test. It should work.

That did the trick. I managed to do the scan and here's the results:

PitStop Scan Results

Try using Seedtest.net to check your upload/download speeds. Try different servers close to you and if you still don't get speeds matching or close to your rated speed try some farther away.

I've found that the closest server doesn't always give the most accurate result, at least in my case. But I have cable. I know nothing about DSL.

Try using Seedtest.net to check your upload/download speeds. Try different servers close to you and if you still don't get speeds matching or close to your rated speed try some farther away.

I've found that the closest server doesn't always give the most accurate result, at least in my case. But I have cable. I know nothing about DSL.

I tried Speedtest and got these results:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, my best result was from a server further away. Regardless, the average download speed is .78 mbps.

My usual download speed from various sites is 85Kbps. Isn't that roughly 1/10 of what I should be experiencing? Take into consideration my age (62) and the fact that I've had a couple of microbrews (Middle Ages Grail Ale, specifically).

The variance between the ideal speed test and my norm is whacked out! :blink:

Thanks for the link, though. It's a great site and very well formatted with the individual results.

Bob