Hey guys. :) I'm having problems with my USB ports. It's not recognizing anything I'm plugging in (bluetooth device, phone, camera). I've tried the front and back but nothing happens. I looked in the Device Manager and there are exclamation marks by the USB related areas. I noticed I don't even see a "USB Root Hub"

Here's an image:

Posted Image

(Looking at the USB Host Controller's properties shows "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)")

Things I've tried:

Uninstalled all of the USB Host Controllers then restarted

Tried to right click and update driver

Scanned for hardware changes

Updating USB drivers with DriverMax

Read/tried HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Troubleshooting USB Connections in Windows 98, ME, and XP

Link to my PC: Compaq Presario SR1720NX Desktop PC - Product Specifications

TechExpress link: http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=21998853

I apologize if I've done something wrong in posting this. :unsure: Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by kowy

Conflicts and Sharing in Hardware Resources?

Maybe you added a new card in your slots and there is a conflict that needs to be rectified....

Have a look in there -

Could you rephrase that? I don't fully understand what you're saying (still somewhat a beginner on computer related material).

Added a new card in my slots? Nope. I've done nothing of that nature. :(

Could you rephrase that? I don't fully understand what you're saying (still somewhat a beginner on computer related material).

Added a new card in my slots? Nope. I've done nothing of that nature. :(

Follow this map -

Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information - Hardware Resources - (drop downbox) Conflicts and Sharing {also check your IRQ's in the drop down box}

Posted Image

Edited by LOLA

do a scan for malware

download it from here

update it and scan

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

also download this scanner

update and scan

http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

Last night, I ran both on quick then complete full scans. (didn't find anything but two objects)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36

Database version: 1983

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

4/14/2009 11:45:44 PM

mbam-log-2009-04-14 (23-45-44).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 71657

Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 36 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\BM5b721245.xml (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\BM5b721245.txt (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Follow this map -

Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information - Hardware Resources - (drop downbox) Conflicts and Sharing {also check your IRQ's in the drop down box}

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6723/clipshot2n.png

Posted ImagePosted Image

Is this okay, LOLA?

Have you tried removing the Unibrain Firewire? - It may reinstall it correctly.

The USB and Firewire are somewhat connected to each other.

Also -- Please click on the "unknown icon" at the bottom of your device manager and let us know what it says about it...

Edit: In fact try removing all of the "Yellow Highlighted" areas from your Device manager and then reboot - To see if Windows will reinstall the devices correctly.

Edited by LOLA

Yep, I've tried removing it all.

Posted Image

Bottom portion happens when I reboot, it shows "FOUND NEW HARDWARE" (Unibrain), I try to install and that happens.

So, you need to install the drivers for the UNIBRAIN 1394 PC from HP compac site. I would guess that if you installed those drivers that maybe your USB stuff would show up.

from your link, try using " Spring 2006 Original ATI Chipset Drivers" and follow the install giude suggested from HP

Installation Instructions 1. Download the driver package.

2. Double-click on the icon for the driver package downloaded in Step 1, and then click NEXT.

3. Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click NEXT.

4. Click OK to continue. The original drivers are now stored in the C:\SoftPaq\sp26608 folder.

5. If Device Manager does not start automatically, use the following steps. Otherwise go to Step 6:a. Click Start.

b. Right-click My Computer, and then select Properties.

c. Click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button.

6. Click the + (plus) sign next to "System devices" or "Other devices".

7. Right-click SMBus Controller or the device you want to update, and then select Update Driver....

8. Click NEXT to install the software automatically.

9. Click FINISHED to complete the installation

Alright I followed your instructions on updating UNIBRAIN 1394, it says "Cannot Install this Hardware". Tried looking for "SMBus Controller" did not find it either (went to View, show hidden devices).

Really sorry about my problem :(

You need the usb drivers?

in the device manager, right click on the usb and uninstall all that are missing. Reboot and see if windows will automatically find and install the drivers, if not then when you get the window "found new hardware" select you'll get the drivers yourself (or something like that, can't remember what it say's now) and have it point to the driver file on C: xxx (xxx is the name of the folder from the zip file you installed after you downloaded it) see if it finds it there

The UNIBRAIN issue is now gone (thank you). However, the USB Host Controllers still have an exclamation mark right beside them.

I've tried pointing it to the driver file but it says it has no relation to the usb drivers.

do you have the software for your devices

or maybe the software can be found

what kind of device you want to install

make and model of device

it may help or it may not

Edited by mme

Have you tried this?

Most USB problems in Windows can be resolved by disabling USB Legacy Support in the BIOS.

Also - May I ask if you currently have anything plugged into the USB ports? If so disconnect all of them and make the stuff in the device manager vanish again and restart your system one more time. Try to install the drivers again w/o having anything plugged into the ports until the system corrects the problem and drivers are installed.

Are you pulling all of your hair :pullhair: out yet?

Edited by LOLA

do you have the software for your devices

or maybe the software can be found

what kind of device you want to install

make and model of device

it may help or it may not

Yes I have the software for my devices. It's been working for years.

Have you tried this?

Most USB problems in Windows can be resolved by disabling USB Legacy Support in the BIOS.

Also - May I ask if you currently have anything plugged into the USB ports? If so disconnect all of them and make the stuff in the device manager vanish again and restart your system one more time. Try to install the drivers again w/o having anything plugged into the ports until the system corrects the problem and drivers are installed.

Are you pulling all of your hair :pullhair: out yet?

I have tried disabling the USB Legacy Support in the BIOS. I have no connected devices in the USB ports. I have also tried this method. :\

I have no hair!

Not sure if youve tried this but.....

My daughter has an hp and Ive had to use this app, thats included in her programs list, a few times to reinstall her sound driver.

In your programs list look for PC help and tools> Application Recovery. From there you can choose drivers.

Hope it helps.

Not sure if youve tried this but.....

My daughter has an hp and Ive had to use this app, thats included in her programs list, a few times to reinstall her sound driver.

In your programs list look for PC help and tools> Application Recovery. From there you can choose drivers.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the advice, Zowie! That didn't help my USB problems, but if any other problem (i.e. sound not working) occured, I'll know where to look. Here's what I'm seeing:

Posted Image

I reinstalled ATI SMBus, and Conexant Modem because I thought it'd relate somewhat to a USB. Didn't work though. :surrender:

Is it XP or Vista? See if any of this info helps. If it doesnt apply look at the Note after Step 9.

HP and Compaq PCs - USB Devices Quit Working Unexpectedly in Windows XP

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bph07246

Edit- This second link has more Step by Step Troubleshooting-(Contains instructions for reinstalling Root hub)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bph05956

Edit- Nothing in that list of drivers relate to usb.

Edited by Zowie