Change Mode

Hi, downloaded IE 7 by mistake.I was having trouble with IE and kept getting the "need to shut down" error,this is the reason for the download. I did not catch it that I had IE 6.Is there any way to go back to IE 6?I tried to do this,but was told it could not install because I had a newer version.I really do not like the IE 7.

Granted IE7 takes a little getting used to after being familiar with the way IE has looked all these years but it's actually better than IE6, you just need to do some exploring and a little research to find out how to use and tweak IE7. If you find that you absolutely DO NOT want IE7 after having given it as much of a chance as you can stand, then (assuming Windows XP) just go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, scroll down to Windows Internet Explorer 7, and uninstall it. It should restore Internet Explorer 6 as you had it although you'll probably want to look around just to be sure. -kd5-

type this or copy/paste in run command from start menu

C:\WINDOWS\ie7\spuninst

start/run/ C:\WINDOWS\ie7\spuninst /click ok

click on the spuninst..windows service pack uninstall

follow the prompts......................

Edited by mme

Thanks for the info. I opened my add/remove program(takes about 2 min to open)and internet explorer 6 or 7,neither were there.So I could not uninstall.I do not want IE 8.I tried the IE 6 repair before,but need the disc,which I do not have.It was not in the Dell bundle when I bought it. Also now, IE does not even open,none of my email links open either.I have run Spybot Sd,adaware,spyware terminator,avg,malwarebytes,Ccleaner and glary utilities.Any other suggestions?

Edited by notsosavvy

type this or copy/paste in run command from start menu

C:\WINDOWS\ie7\spuninst

start/run/ C:\WINDOWS\ie7\spuninst /click ok

click on the spuninst..windows service pack uninstall

follow the prompts......................

have you tried finding the uninstaller with the above mentioned

IE7 is in a hidden folder

to view hidden folders you go to your control panel

click on folder options

click on view tab

scroll till you see show hidden folders

put green dot and click ok to close and ok again

open my computer

open C:Drive

click on windows folder

see IE7 folder

open folder and you will find uninstaller

Edited by mme

Well I'm back again. I am hesitant to uninstall IE7 without knowing if I have IE6. It does not show up in the folders.IE7 does. So to give it another chance,,maybe someone can help with these issues.When I open IE7 I get the welcome page where I can customize my settings.None of the links work.I click on the search option to select what I want but nothing shows up How do I get it to open with my home page?Also I have pop ups turned off,but still get the information bar.How do I stop that?None of the links in my emails work either.

Well I'm back again. I am hesitant to uninstall IE7 without knowing if I have IE6. It does not show up in the folders.IE7 does. So to give it another chance,,maybe someone can help with these issues.When I open IE7 I get the welcome page where I can customize my settings.None of the links work.I click on the search option to select what I want but nothing shows up How do I get it to open with my home page?Also I have pop ups turned off,but still get the information bar.How do I stop that?None of the links in my emails work either.

I assume that this is the welcome page you're refering to:

Posted Image

Is so, you can go to this site http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

scroll down to the section that reads Problem: IE always goes to http://runonce.msn.com/runonce2.aspx instead of my homepage there is a little script that you can click on that will stop this

Note that this is not an uncommon problem:

can't customise IE7 settings