Hi, hope someone can help me here.

I have a wired connection to my computer and the xbox and wireless to my daughters laptop. I'm sick and tired of my computer lagging when online, is there any way I can limit the bandwidth to the laptop so I get first dibs at the broadband that I am paying for or am I going to have to tell 21 year old daughter to get her own connection?

My connection can cope just fine with xbox being on...but as soon as she fires her laptop up I'm having to wait 30-40 seconds for a lot of web page to load and quite often they dont load at all and when the lap top is on the xbox lags horribly..not good when youre slaughtering baddies in a live game Or rather when your 14 year old son is.

I know that it can be done if I have a QoS router (I don't) but is there any software free software that can do it.

Cheers

Pod

Ah bandwidth saturation. Not much you can do on the xbox. For the laptops... via wifi you can limit the connection to the WAP via the cards configure properties. if via wired..not so much.

Only if your running all your traffice through a managed server could you really limit it... kinda like what your talking about with the QoS router.

best thing is to get a gigabyte router/wap and a bigger "pipe" to your house. Son will get to play on live, daughter will get to have her myspace and facebook, and you'll get to have something then! haha. At that point Id have the oldest help pay for living at home!

I got the boot when I turned 18, im good with my money - or should I say lack of- to live on my own, have the best connection i can get and make use of it, and not eat ramen noodles and frozen veggies all the time :)

For the laptops... via wifi you can limit the connection to the WAP via the cards configure properties

....can you explain that a little better for me please? Pretty please.

Getting the oldest to pay...you considered stand up comedy? Actually she does pay...just not enough to warrant taking over half my bandwidth. And not enough to know how hard it will be in the real world once she does move out but thats another forum.

Cheers

Pod

If you go network connections, right click on the wifi connection and go to properties. This will open up a box with usually just a general tab, click on configure. Box opens up to a 4 tabbed box, click on advanced.

In that list you'll have a wide range of options. One might be to limit the connection it makes to the access point. For a Dell with an Intel card its called Rate. This goes from 18 to 54 or best rate...commonly set to best rate. Some cards may not ha

Either that or have her get a boyfriend and move in with him (Not too sure if you'd be thrilled with this option) / send them to school and live in the dorms. hahaha

• 3 months later...

Hi, hope someone can help me here.

I have a wired connection to my computer and the xbox and wireless to my daughters laptop. I'm sick and tired of my computer lagging when online, is there any way I can limit the bandwidth to the laptop so I get first dibs at the broadband that I am paying for or am I going to have to tell 21 year old daughter to get her own connection?

My connection can cope just fine with xbox being on...but as soon as she fires her laptop up I'm having to wait 30-40 seconds for a lot of web page to load and quite often they dont load at all and when the lap top is on the xbox lags horribly..not good when youre slaughtering baddies in a live game Or rather when your 14 year old son is.

I know that it can be done if I have a QoS router (I don't) but is there any software free software that can do it.

Cheers

Pod

the question can be answered best with what applications are being run at the same time.

well, I am guessing she is firing up a p2p file sharing program. or watching videos / utube.

the short is possably. from the router itself. linksys does have the ability on Qos area to spcific priority on each port. hi/med/low priority, but not for wireless.

if its an older modem, it may be time to replace the router. would recommend d-link over linksys, over belkin. the 10/100/1000 routers are now around $100 but are worth it.