Im confused... you want to OC to 3ghz, but in your sig you say that it is...

IMO today's computers really dont need to be OC'd. Your single core's will benefit from this, but not really a dual or quad core. Not a minor OC at least. Saying you can tell a difference with a slight OC increase in a good system like you have is going to be very remote. IF your doing faster than 30fps in a game its a waste since any difference you cannot see.

not many use multicore threading. NONE of the older games do either.

if you had read up on overclocking, i believe then that this whole thread could have been summed up in one question. could have skiped the rest, lol

what is the safe temp for my q66 on air? this question though, i don't know the answer for, i'm AMD

Also I notice you have DDR2 800? I would get some DDr2 1066. You will be able to overclock a lot more as well.

I had 800mgz in this machine and could not get past 3.2 I threw in some OCZ 1066 and I am at 3.8 stable (although running 3.6 for everyday purposes) Temps stable at 27c..

And you can get some 1066 for cheap right now. I paid 32 bucks (after 20 mail in rebate which I actually just got) The you have a lot more headroom for overclocking., As you are pushing your ram more than you are your cpu!

Posted Image

Of course this is just my opinion. I think people overclock ram to much and pushes the ram to far. And that hurts overclocking..At least to a descent overclock..

Also that Freezer is a good Cooler but you may want to spend a little more. Or buy another one and flip the new fan out and put it on the other side blowing the same way as the other fan (how I had it when I had mine)

And also depends on how your air is being distributed. You can have all the fans i the world in a case but if you dont have a air tunnel then it is just sneaking out of all the holes in the case.

Edited by lugnut

ya it worked for me.. Took about 5 to 9c off my temps..

Look at the pic. (I am not good at drawing lol)

I took the extra fan off the new freezer and clipped it to the other side.So I had one blowing through the heatpipes and one pulling the air out.. Of the heatsink

As far as the Antec. it is a good case. but you want as much air being sucked in as is going out.. If I remember correctly the stock fans were descent?

Posted Image

Edit.. The second Fan clips right on the other side of the heatsink perfectly.. You will just need another place to add the fan (pin connector)..You dont need a 4 pin connector you just need a three pin connector.

Edited by lugnut

I dont really know. I have not tried them all. but between the freezer and my zerotherm the zerotherm wins hands down (at least on my chips) it is a little more pricey but well worth it as it is all solid copper with 8 heatpipes.

Sale I guess..

that Freezer 7 Pro should be just fine for 3.0GHz, i used to use the Freezer 7 Pro, but i really wanted a better cooler all around even if im not doing a huge overclock. th push pins on the Freezer 7 Pro also were not my favorite and made me feel like they just were not enough.

i then orderd a TRUE Black cooler, its huge very heavy and well made and also has a backplate so it makes it feel more secure on the motherboard. this cooler is amazing, and well worth the price even if you only push a 600MHz overclock.

i was able to push 3.6GHz on my Q6600 with the TRUE. and with good temps as well, but i only did 3.6GHz while i was in the Forum Wars, other then that i run the Q6600 @ 3.0GHz it does the job fine and im happy with it.

you're the only one that can make the decision to overclock or not. you've been given several answers of if done right, and watching the temps, there is NO problem in overclocking. you will buy new parts before the overclock takes out your cpu.

at 4 years of 24/7 overclock of nearly 90%, my athlon xp mobile chip was sold with the board still in working and stable order. 4 years time you'll have most likely upgraded again, but cpu can run far longer than that.

with your power supply, and that cpu cooler, overclock to a stable value, check your temps, then just let it be.

overclocking will also disable any speed stepping or whatever it's called, that will kick your cpu into low gear when idle. if you're concerned about the electricity your pc uses, this is an issue, otherwise there is little down side to this.