Sign in to follow this  
joker

Wireless Question

Dear all,

I have a question that I hope you can help with. I currently have my wireless network setup for my home which works fine without any problems. However, I would like to have wireless in my garage which is approx 150 feet away, my wireless currently does not reach this far!

I could run cables from my current router out to my garage using my spare ethernet ports at the back of the router to create a wired connection however, I would really prefer having a wireless setup out there, if possible.

Is this problem as simple as purchasing another wireless router and running a single cable from my current router to the new router's "internet in" ethernet port then configuring the wireless on the new router? Or would this throw up problems? Alternatively, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks very much!

J

>>>>> moved to Networking forum

greetings joker,

There are a few ways to expand your wireless signal. Upgrading all to a wireless N system would be easiest, but may not be the most economical.

Purchasing and using a Wireless repeater is another option.

I set mine up with another router and a single cable as you mention in your post. Here's how:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101496.asp

This is the layout that I used to expand my network here at home.

I used d-link routers, but they worked just the same as the example.

Example:

Primary or Base Router (can be wired or wireless): IP: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server: ON

DHCP Start Address: 192.168.1.2

DHCP Stop Address: 192.168.1.98

Wireless Router IP: 192.168.1.99

DHCP Server: OFF

:)Y

I found the most reliable way was to upgrade all the wireless cards and router to wireless 'N', this gave me a good signal in my summerhouse, around 120 meters from the wireless point, although when it rains the signal does tend to get affected.

My brother used these to get a signal to his garage though:

Microlink

Not wireless, but a really good solution, if the repeater option doesn't work.

Fantastic, thank you very much for the help both of you!

I will try them out and report back within the week.

Much appreciated,

J

To report back,

I have had a look through various repeaters/extenders have found a lot of reviews saying that they are very difficult to setup/have a lot of problems with them - I am rather short on time at the moment so I would prefer something easy so have opted for the N wireless upgrade.

However, I do have one concern regarding the N router. As I am living in London England there is a lot of congestion around here and the N routers I have seen do not guarantee the signal distance. Is it likely that it will reach without problem? Also, with my laptop(s) would I have to purchase new wireless cards to ensure the signal is received? My laptop(s) are relatively new so I am hoping they will be good enough.

I look forward to your replies! I appreciate the help very much.

The "N" routers that I've set up, performed very well through walls and congestion, so I'm comfortable recommending them. They were paired with "N" recieving cards as well. The routers are backwards compatable, so using a "G" reciever will be fine, but will utilize only half of the bandwidth that the "N" router is capable of providing.

At the distance that you wish to cover, I don't forsee a problem with using the built in laptop adapter. That being said, I do recommend the following set up for best coverage and bandwidth:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=501

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=503&sec=0

Never a complaint from this combination when I recommended and installed them. There are of course many other options and namebrands, but as for the "N" routers, these are what I've used. Even if you don't grab an "N" card now, consider it later for a boost in bandwidth.

I would recommend using a Netgear Rangemax router..they come in both G and N. You will need the Rangemax USB receiver to take advantage of the router, but you should get a good signal using it. I actually own both the router and the receiver, so I can speak from experience that it is a solid product. Now you wouldn't have to get the cards for every computer in the house, just the one in the garage.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routersand...=Specifications

* When used with RangeMax Wireless Adapters, delivers the longest range of any wireless technology on the market

* Up to 500,000 square feet of uninterrupted coverage†

* Maintains up to 10 times the effective speed of standard 802.11g when at long distances†

* Improves performance of existing legacy 802.11b and 802.11g wireless devices up to 50%

* Five 10/100 (1 internet, and 4 LAN) ports equipped with auto-sensing technology

* Wireless speed of up to 108 Mbps†

Edited by adam22

Hi guys, thanks again for the help.

I took your recommendations and purchased a Belkin N1:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=377018

However, the router did not reach the garage! I was very surprised as this router is 2 levels above my original G+. I have since moved the router into the room closest to the garage (approx 8 metres closer) and now I get 1 or 2 bars on my receiver which works fine for what I need!

I figure there must be some sort of interference towards the end of my garden but still an odd problem.

Thank you all very much for your help!

:tup: Glad that you got it working.

Wierd that it didn't reach the garage from 150 ft as that router says that it's range is up to 1,600 ft. It certainally should.

If you're like me, you're gonna mess with it to see if you can improve that signal. :mrgreen:

Try using a different channel, just like radio stations, router channels can behave similarly. Some pick up excessive interference while others broadcast clear. Here in the states, the magic channels are typically 1, 6, or 11, I'm not sure which would be best there in London. Try different ones and see if there is any improvement.

Cordless phones and microwaves can create interference to the signal as well. If possible position the router away from these devices.

I'm happy to hear that you got it working and I hope that you are able to bring that signal into it's full potential.

i would say it's a coverage area of 1600 square, not linear feet. you'd need a directional antenae for that kind of coverage.

since you have an N router now, try it out in the 5 ghz range, you may loose a hair of range, but you should eliminate your interference.

also, if you're in a congested wireless area, make sure your channel bonding is set to off. 802N has the ability to knock off neighborrs networks while trying to push through on two bands. will also cuase issues to your network stability.

as for getting a wireless extension, this is done rather easily by getting two cheaper routers, flashing at least one to ddwrt (or other software) and setting up a bridge. had mine up in about a half hour including flashing, though i spent the next three days changing and tweaking the network to how i want it exactly, but a wireless bridge is cake honestly.

another option you have/had is to pick up a directional anteana, or a higher gain one, to reach your garage. these provide the power to go through walls. just remember that when you read the router box, that is clear space transmision distance. transmitting litteraly through a house to outside eats up a great deal of that power.

Ah that is all very interesting! I went another way (kawika I am like you!), I created a "windsurfer" which actually increased "the number of bars" on my laptop by 2 when sitting in the garage.

Here's the link:

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

Thank you all again for your help in this matter!

J

Great idea! I forgot all about making a windsurfer! Bruce introduced the idea to us awhile back: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...=155583&hl=

Glad that it's working for you. My kind of solution for my kind of price. :mrgreen:

Now if I could just get my memory to work half as well.................... :geezer: LOL!

I would recommend using a Netgear Rangemax router..they come in both G and N. You will need the Rangemax USB receiver to take advantage of the router, but you should get a good signal using it. I actually own both the router and the receiver, so I can speak from experience that it is a solid product. Now you wouldn't have to get the cards for every computer in the house, just the one in the garage.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routersand...=Specifications

I just sold a little 12mb down/5mb up Wireless connection to a apartment/dorm complex consisting of 256 units that spans about 3 football fields. They already had one of our bonded 6xT1 dedicated 9mb up & down connections but they had hundreds of tennants want to be able to use their PC's,etc. at the various pools in the complex, or meeting rooms, or in their own dorm. With the right placement of the wireless router that is provided by DIGIS Wireless, and then the 5 repeaters Integra was able to provide them, plus a Fatpipe Unit to bond the 9mb w/ the 12mb wireless to give the entire complex a constant 21mb download/15mb upload and both wired and wireless options, this customer could not be happier. All the wireless cost them was $90 a month through my Provider discount and all one time fee's and equipment waived. Point of the story, repeaters are the best way to go both economically, and quality. Why bother purchasing and installing receivers and specialized routers that are all crap shoots 9 out of 10 times when you can simply put repeaters in place that my 4 year old daughter can install. I'm not sure what those repeaters cost since their always free when ordered through me, however I do know they're not much at all.

repeaters off the shelf are pricey, considering.

much better to go with a cheap linksys and slap some ddwrt and make it a repeater.

repeaters off the shelf are pricey, considering.

much better to go with a cheap linksys and slap some ddwrt and make it a repeater.

You may be right as DIGIS Wireless threw in the repeaters due to the size of the deal so I'm not sure how much those run

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...mp;srkey=WRE54G

there are very few residential class repeaters and i honestly wouldn't touch them. far less powerfull than a router w/ new firmware.

business level repeaters are FAR better, but the price goes on up and you end up getting into the realm of managed hardware.

here at the house i've got under 100 wrapped up in two wrt54gs units and cover a radius about 4 city sized lots around. the down side to using a repeater bridge setup is that your bandwidth is cut in half each time you repeat to a new link that allows AP connections.

get a better router and better wireless card... WIRELESS N!! I RECOMMEND NETGEAR

Hi guys, thanks again for the help.

I took your recommendations and purchased a Belkin N1:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=377018

However, the router did not reach the garage! I was very surprised as this router is 2 levels above my original G+. I have since moved the router into the room closest to the garage (approx 8 metres closer) and now I get 1 or 2 bars on my receiver which works fine for what I need!

I figure there must be some sort of interference towards the end of my garden but still an odd problem.

Thank you all very much for your help!

wireless is nice, wired is still better, ebay sells what ever length you need of ethernet at great price. at xmas I looked at laptop wireless cards. the reviews Ive seen, Dlink Xtream n dwa-652 was the top of the line. followed by dlink products followed linksys and belken last. since then I talked to a perosn who was incharge of a city wide wireless and thay said ubiquiti makes great distance G adapters. From what Ive seen keep in mind the output power 300 to 500mA and the sencitivity of the reciever -100db -120db is better.

most products are now 10/100/1000 capable, older standard is 10/100. cat5e or cat6 going 150-200ft will give you better speed. I forgot the website, but you can make your own foil reflectors for the router antenna, may help alittle.