with LAN ports

Wireless

Eathernet modem conncetion

Modem:

NOT EATHERNET but USB

Computers

3 computers all w/LAN eathernet ports

Setup concept

Choose one computer as a host/gateway- configure USB modem on that. Connect it.... share it properly with ICS

connect host to router as:

A. connect host in a way that router see's it as a modem (so to speek). thus eathernet cable from host to router's Eathernet Modem port. THIS WORKS for sharing internet. So far.... can't get it to share files or printer. See tips and tricks thread on trials and tribulations of setting things up this way.

B. Connect host to a LAN port of the router. This supposidly works! and allows internet and file/printer sharing. See HERE FOR MORE INFO on this idea. That short responce is the most conscise I have seen. BUTTT.. like most all discussions on this method... its alot of talk and have found few who say.. they have DONE IT and it is up and running.

What is your take on method B? Have you done it? We know method A works. Members in here have it running including myself with much thanx to this board.

Edited by coachgeo

they are offering advice that leads nowhere

the best alternative advice i have is purchase another router specifically for evdo

http://www.evdoinfo.com/component/option,c...per/Itemid,115/

the usb device will plug directly into the router..

my tip works in two ways, it saves time and money..

downsides are what they are, its a sacrifice many make.

my tip works in two ways, it saves time and money..

downsides are what they are, its a sacrifice many make.

Amennn on time and money. Im loosing nearly 2 grand a month in this economy. Rate Im going I'll be out of business in 4 months. ok.... reallity..... Im out of biz. now. just spending my own money foolishly at a rate of 2000 dollars a month to keep the doors open. My money will be gone soon

duanester you have been a GREAT asset. My guess is you have been so to many many folk.

You might sumize already that Im stubborn LOL. :P If it was not for that I would have taken the advise of those that said you can't use a eathernet router and create a network of anykind with a USB modem, along those who claimed it "would work" but apparently never had actually done it. Course.; then again if I was not so stubborn I would be many thousands dollar wealthier by not loosing 2 grand a month by having given up on my dream already. .I know what I do is good for kids and community so.. I'm not giving up yet.

Anyway, it's that stubborness that led me to go about searching for hours till I found someone who had done it. YOU.

Much Thanx for leading me thru all you did in getting what I got working.

I appoligize for still being stubborn though :angel:

You may be completely correct that it won't work using the LAN port for a more complete sharing like all so many others "claim" but have not "done". But....

my stubborness says explore it anyway.. who knows along the journey of discovering your right, or wrong... we might learn some great new things along the way.

i have researched other ways, i did have a time i needed to cut costs and drop my isp because my evdo plan was cheaper.

i experimented and found that method flawless, i couldn't configure to work any other way.

may i ask, have you been able to connect that modem to ubuntu ?

if so https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/...ThroughWireless

Edited by duanester

one other possible way is virtualization, have you ever used vmware or virtualbox ?

basically you can run two operating systems at the same time on one computer.

one can be the gateway and the other can be file and printer sharing......

configure the modem and virtual machine as the gateway or visa versa .........

it's pretty practical when utilized !

Think I see where your going. Thank you for pondering further.

Virtual machine sounds realy interesting. Really like that idea. Wish I had another copy of Win XP but I don't. That means for that idea it would have to be Ubuntu which I do have or some other free OS that allows sharing... butt.. would that bring up cross platform issues? (XP & Linux)

Also think I see where your going about asking me if Ubuntu worked with my modem. I think so..... I have done so many different configurations its sorta foggy but I think I got it to dial off of Leo once. If that worked and could be shared thru that and then networked off that puter.... then the other two... (Ltop and Acro) which are XP machines and happen to be the ones that most need a printer and files shared could do so. They are used in the office. Leo is only used to visit our virtual store. It only has an old 15gb HD too.

Edited by coachgeo

if you have one copy of xp' i don't see a license issue installing it twice on the "same computer"

i would understand it to be a problem using the same license on multiple computers.

i could be wrong' so further exploration is needed "eula"

example of virtualbox

Posted Image

B. Connect host to a LAN port of the router. This supposidly works! and allows internet and file/printer sharing. That short responce is the most conscise I have seen. BUTTT.. like most all discussions on this method... its alot of talk and have found few who say.. they have DONE IT and it is up and running.

What is your take on method B? Have you done it? We know method A works. Members in here have it running including myself with much thanx to this board.

Try this:

You need shut down the DHCP server in your router, so, it will stop working as a router and will start working just as a Switch / hub (with the Wireless working). You may want changes the IP from the router before disable the DHCP server, so, you can keep accessing the setup page.

What you need to do?

If you already had created the ICS, just go to another computer, and there you open the browser and get the setup page (if not, do not forget to plug the Ethernet cable in the Lan port).

Open the setup, changes the router's ip to 192.168.0.254 (because the computer with the ICS will be 192.168.0.1 and it will assign ips from 192.168.0.2 until 192.168.0.254, so, you will have the first and the last ip fixed.) If you want a different Ip that's ok too.

Once it is changed you will need "repair" your connection, do the Ethernet card will refresh your IP address and will get a new one from the router, close and open your browser, but, now to get the setup page go to 192.168.0.254 (if you used other you will need type the other ip).

Now go to Lan page, look for "use router as DHCP server", disable this feature.

Now your router will not assign Ip anymore (if you did something wrong you can reset your router and it will return to the default settings).

Now, connect the Ethernet cable from your gateway (the ICS machine) into the Lan port. (enable the ICS if you didn't before).

And........... done :)

Maybe you will need reboot the computers that was on before the ICS gets live.

....i experimented and found ... i couldn't configure to work any other way....

OK... The answer in the Yahoo is right, but, just making it here....

[boxing announcer voice]"Innnnn cornerr ONEEEEE we have duanesterrrr in the white trunks with Modem Port Pockets". :boxing: " And innnnnn corneeerrrr twoooo we have Augusto.. in the black trunks with LAN Port Pockets.... :boxing: " "It's going to be a r uff one tonight folks" [voice off] B):cheers:

PS- to answer duannester's question.... I dont have any XP disk. All the XP's I got were preinstalled software.

Edited by coachgeo

Oh My... I don't want fight to anyone :)

I just love virtualization, use multiple OS in the same computer, but, sometimes, I just want use multiple computers :).

I use Vista 64 as my host OS, and I use Suse, XP home, professional as virtual machine (not at the same time... sometimes 2, but, never all in the same time, it lets my machine too slow.

[boxing announcer voice]"Innnnn cornerr ONEEEEE we have duanesterrrr in the white trunks with Modem Port Pockets". :boxing: " And innnnnn corneeerrrr twoooo we have Augusto.. in the black trunks with LAN Port Pockets.... :boxing: " "It's going to be a r uff one tonight folks" [voice off] B):cheers:

PS- to answer duannester's question.... I dont have any XP disk. All the XP's I got were preinstalled software.

we need an update ?

we need an update ?

Im not in position to rearrange what I have working right now. Don't have time to rework it. It's a PITA right now as it is with having to redo share settings every time I shut down since VZAccesMngr seems to rewrite share settings each time it is run again after a shuting down that program.

How about you critique what Agusto does (or did) using the LAN port method. That way others can review this thread and the other thread and decide for themselves which route they wan't to go?

Augusto? Have you tried duanester's method of using the Modem port? If so which do you prefer?

critique ?

were both testing it out right now.

i still didn't get it to work, i will be trying another router :tup:

i was hoping you had it working :)

Edited by duanester

....were both testing it out right now.

i still didn't get it to work, i will be trying another router :tup:...

ahhhhhh... I thought you had already tried the LAN way before. Agusto musta done a few things different than how you orginally tried it.

the pc i am trying it on appears to have a malfunctioning secondary network card, i will swap the card for another and try again :tup:

ok.... scenario

Router:

with LAN ports

Wireless

Eathernet modem conncetion

Modem:

NOT EATHERNET but USB

Computers

3 computers all w/LAN eathernet ports

Setup concept

Choose one computer as a host/gateway- configure USB modem on that. Connect it.... share it properly with ICS

connect host to router as:

A. connect host in a way that router see's it as a modem (so to speek). thus eathernet cable from host to router's Eathernet Modem port. THIS WORKS for sharing internet. So far.... can't get it to share files or printer. See tips and tricks thread on trials and tribulations of setting things up this way.

B. Connect host to a LAN port of the router. This supposidly works! and allows internet and file/printer sharing. See HERE FOR MORE INFO on this idea. That short responce is the most conscise I have seen. BUTTT.. like most all discussions on this method... its alot of talk and have found few who say.. they have DONE IT and it is up and running.

there are now evdo routers to take 3g wireless cell phone modems to connect to to give you wired and wireless access, as long as your cell phone has a decent signal. search for evdo 3g or cell routers