Please Help

:wp:

Each of the Recommended Fixes in the first page of your test results is a clickable link that will open a page with specific suggestions how to resolve each issue.

Also, go into the Control Panel and check the Power Options. Unless it is running on the battery, set it to Home/Office Desk or Always On.

Freeing up space on the hard drive and increasing the processor performance with the Power Options should help with the video problem.

Fix as many items as you can, then run a new OverDrive test and post the result.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?c...report=Software

My processor is running like a fatman in a matharon, slow and clumsy, and my ram isn't doing much better what can I do?

Some usefull information;

I noticed my computer performance drop signifigantly after updating my graphics card from an NVIDIA fx 1300 (4 year old card) to a radeon HD 4670.I downloaded all the necessry updates for the new card and it seems to be fuctioning correctly in terms of it being recognized by the my computer and it tests high in the 3d tests so I don't believe it to be a bad card.

I only mention it because that's when I noticed the performance degrade over the corse of about a month.

I also updated the ram by adding 2x512 mb patriot high-performance ram giving me just over 3gb total but the ram test came back as serverly underperforming. I noticed one possible fix of changing the power settings to always on but that didn't seem to help.

I removed a bunch of old programs I no longer used, I dowloaded the lastest version of cc clearner, ad-aware, avlast, and advanced system care and ran them all and so my computer really should be running better then it ever has but it runs slower then I had have the ram (1500 mb) and a four year old card (fx quatro 1300 fx)

please help before I pull the last few strands of my hair out.

THx

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?c...report=Software

My processor is running like a fatman in a matharon, slow and clumsy, and my ram isn't doing much better what can I do?

Some usefull information;

I noticed my computer performance drop signifigantly after updating my graphics card from an NVIDIA fx 1300 (4 year old card) to a radeon HD 4670.I downloaded all the necessry updates for the new card and it seems to be fuctioning correctly in terms of it being recognized by the my computer and it tests high in the 3d tests so I don't believe it to be a bad card.

I only mention it because that's when I noticed the performance degrade over the corse of about a month.

I also updated the ram by adding 2x512 mb patriot high-performance ram giving me just over 3gb total but the ram test came back as serverly underperforming. I noticed one possible fix of changing the power settings to always on but that didn't seem to help.

I removed a bunch of old programs I no longer used, I dowloaded the lastest version of cc clearner, ad-aware, avlast, and advanced system care and ran them all and so my computer really should be running better then it ever has but it runs slower then I had have the ram (1500 mb) and a four year old card (fx quatro 1300 fx)

please help before I pull the last few strands of my hair out.

THx

My first inclination is the Power Supply. Did you check to see if it would support the new GPU? ie:is it powerful enough?

My first inclination is the Power Supply. Did you check to see if it would support the new GPU? ie:is it powerful enough?

Well this is the first time I've ever tried to update my computer with new hardware and I did notice that some video cards needed there own power supply and I tried to be careful and buy one that didn't require any extra power. Here is a link to what I bought;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161252

In the customer reviews a few state they did not need any extra power supply and it dosen't mention it under the specifications although I may be missing something.

How else would I check this? The card itself didn't come with much, just a quickstart guide no mention anything regard certain power requirments...

Thx

Well this is the first time I've ever tried to update my computer with new hardware and I did notice that some video cards needed there own power supply and I tried to be careful and buy one that didn't require any extra power. Here is a link to what I bought;

In the customer reviews a few state they did not need any extra power supply and it dosen't mention it under the specifications although I may be missing something.

How else would I check this? The card itself didn't come with much, just a quickstart guide no mention anything regard certain power requirments...

Thx

try this

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Thx

450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended <-----from http://www.compusa.com/applications/search...AIN#detailspecs

I agree w/ the PSU upgrade. Your computer probably has a 250watt PSU (average) So upgrading it will help the problem, it wont hurt. You can tell by looking at the sticker on the inside of your computer it will have a max = ***watt written on it some where.

I also noticed that in you pcpitstop post your system only reported 1024MB of ram? You said that you had just over 3GB installed? It might be a oversight.

Edited by add=2distract

I agree w/ the PSU upgrade. Your computer probably has a 250watt PSU (average) So upgrading it will help the problem, it wont hurt. You can tell by looking at the sticker on the inside of your computer it will have a max = ***watt written on it some where.

I also noticed that in you pcpitstop post your system only reported 1024MB of ram? You said that you had just over 3GB installed? It might be a oversight.

http://pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=21970495

I was pulling the ram to see if that was the problem, new test shows 3 gig. At any rate, first off I appreciate all the help and feedback you guys have been giving me. I ALMOST broke down and called a local repair shop. I just got some quotes and the mimimun in my area for someone to even look at this thing is 70 bucks an hour plus 25 thereafter! POPPYCOCK I SAY!

Anyway, can't be the PSU because that baby has 650 watt max printed on it. I swaped around the ram and put it in different slots, not that I think the slots are busted but I probably didn't have the ram installed properly. Newbie mistake.

I redid the test everything tested out ok:) I am a little dissapointed that my cpu is still running well below the average, I am very happy the ram tested out ok, although I wish it were higher. I did purchased two sitcks of patriot high performance gaming ram but it tested out just below average. Mabye it dosen't get along well with the remaining stock ram that is in there :blink:

At any rate, I can't figure out for the life of me why the processor would be performing so pooly, I checked my start up programs and I don't have anything crazy running and I feel like I'm right on the edge of getting everything playing together nice but I must be missing something.

Before I installed the new ram and video card I never got a poor rating on the processor.

any suggestions on that would be helpful/apprecaited!

thx

JP

If you're mixing RAM sticks, be advised that the high performance RAM will only run at the speed of the stock RAM that's in there. When mixing RAM everything will run at the speed of the lowest common denominator. Also, check the motherboard manual and make sure the RAM is installed to take advantage of dual channel configuration.

If that P4 is running Hyper-Threading, try testing with it off, and vice-versa.

If you're mixing RAM sticks, be advised that the high performance RAM will only run at the speed of the stock RAM that's in there. When mixing RAM everything will run at the speed of the lowest common denominator. Also, check the motherboard manual and make sure the RAM is installed to take advantage of dual channel configuration.

thx for tips I'll try that.

http://pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=21970495

I was pulling the ram to see if that was the problem, new test shows 3 gig. At any rate, first off I appreciate all the help and feedback you guys have been giving me. I ALMOST broke down and called a local repair shop. I just got some quotes and the mimimun in my area for someone to even look at this thing is 70 bucks an hour plus 25 thereafter! POPPYCOCK I SAY!

Anyway, can't be the PSU because that baby has 650 watt max printed on it. I swaped around the ram and put it in different slots, not that I think the slots are busted but I probably didn't have the ram installed properly. Newbie mistake.

I redid the test everything tested out ok:) I am a little dissapointed that my cpu is still running well below the average, I am very happy the ram tested out ok, although I wish it were higher. I did purchased two sitcks of patriot high performance gaming ram but it tested out just below average. Mabye it dosen't get along well with the remaining stock ram that is in there :blink:

At any rate, I can't figure out for the life of me why the processor would be performing so pooly, I checked my start up programs and I don't have anything crazy running and I feel like I'm right on the edge of getting everything playing together nice but I must be missing something.

Before I installed the new ram and video card I never got a poor rating on the processor.

any suggestions on that would be helpful/apprecaited!

thx

JP

Check your power settings and make sure it's set to Desktop or Always on.

just so I know what exactly does Hyper-threading do anyway?