Windows Media Player and RealPlayer

Hi,

I can not get either Windows Media Player or RealPlayer to play a CD or DVD. I’ll explain what is happening when I use the Windows media Player.

I put in a DVD and it loads. I click play and I get the following message:

Windows Media Player is currently unable tp play DVD video. Click Details and then click troubleshooter for information about configuring your computer to play DVDs. I have followed all the instructions given including a Windows update. Still the DVD will not play. I keep getting the same error message. I went online and the help there did not work either. Is there a way to get to play a DVD or CD?

Thanks,

adkron

Sounds like it may be a codec issue, if your not worried about what plays them then give VLC a go, it plays pretty much anything you throw at it and is a great lightweight player, if you want to use what you have then try GSpot (it's not sexual lol), load it and browse to the file you want to play, then it will tell you what codec's it needs and if you have them, if you don't a quick google for the codec they tell you should get you working.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I downloaded VLC and Codec. Neither on would play a DVD. I went back to Widows Media Player and RealPlayer. They won't play a DVD but will play a CD. I tried uninstalling all but one Player to use at a time and had the same results. My DVDs play on my DVD Player connected to my TV but not on my computer.

I do have an old computer and I think it is so "messed up" that fixing it will require more time than it is worth. Playing a DVD should be simple and used to be but that is no longer the case on my computer.

Thanks again,

adkron

Just a thought, does your system even see the disk ?

Open your my computer, right click on the optical drive where the disk is and select explore, does it see anything ?

What I am wondering is could the lens be dirty ? that would stop you playing it, just a thought.

Did it ever play DVD's, some older systems had a CD read only and a CD-RW drive installed. If your sure the drive is a DVD drive. It is possible that your Drive firmware is not compatible with some of the newest media used for DVD's.

Updating the firmware can be tricky and if anyone attemts this, and you do anything wrong or use the wrong update, you can easily brick the drive at which point you can then throw it away. In many cases the DVD drive manufacturer will have a firmware update. You can find your version in device manager under the drive info/driver menu for that drive. You then compare that version with the version available from the manufacturer which will tell you if and when they created an update.

Firmware for many drives are generally to make them compatible with newer media types such as -R/RW to -R/RW and +R/RW or to allow faster burn rip speeds among other things.

First, if your sure it is a DVD drive, go to device manager and uninstall the driver and also disable that drive if you can. Then shut down the computer before windows tries to reinstall the driver. Open the computer and disconnect the DVD drive. Restart windows and let it boot completely. Shut down the computer and connect the data cable and power. Reboot the computer and let windows find it and 'install new hardware' blah, blah, blah. After its done, go to the drive and right click on it and select 'properties'. Navigate to the menu that has a box to enable recording on/with that drive, check the box and then apply.

Close everything and try your DVD again. If it will not play then check for a firmware update.

If that still does not work, shut down and disconnect the CD drive leaving only the DVD drive. Restart and try again. If that does not work then either the DVD has new encryption or DRM that will not allow you to play it or the Drive is shot.

FYI-You can actually play almost anything with WMP but sometimes you must get the codec that you need and istall it/drag/drop it into the Codec folder/file for WMP. This is not quite the same as just installing a Codec pack like you see all over the web. A single codec can be obtained right from the manufacturer of the codec in many cases. This method IS NOT the same as a codec pack. They should have the exact procedure to install the codec where you download the codec from or have a link on how to do it.

Although VLC player is nice, WMP is more friendly and has more toys to play with.

This also holds true for playing .FLV flash videos from the web. If you install the codec directly into WMP, you can now play flash videos directly in WMP if you saved them to your hard drive.

Edited by COMPUTER CRASHER

Did it ever play DVD's, some older systems had a CD read only and a CD-RW drive installed. If your sure the drive is a DVD drive. It is possible that your Drive firmware is not compatible with some of the newest media used for DVD's.

Updating the firmware can be tricky and if anyone attemts this, and you do anything wrong or use the wrong update, you can easily brick the drive at which point you can then throw it away. In many cases the DVD drive manufacturer will have a firmware update. You can find your version in device manager under the drive info/driver menu for that drive. You then compare that version with the version available from the manufacturer which will tell you if and when they created an update.

Firmware for many drives are generally to make them compatible with newer media types such as -R/RW to -R/RW and +R/RW or to allow faster burn rip speeds among other things.

First, if your sure it is a DVD drive, go to device manager and uninstall the driver and also disable that drive if you can. Then shut down the computer before windows tries to reinstall the driver. Open the computer and disconnect the DVD drive. Restart windows and let it boot completely. Shut down the computer and connect the data cable and power. Reboot the computer and let windows find it and 'install new hardware' blah, blah, blah. After its done, go to the drive and right click on it and select 'properties'. Navigate to the menu that has a box to enable recording on/with that drive, check the box and then apply.

Close everything and try your DVD again. If it will not play then check for a firmware update.

If that still does not work, shut down and disconnect the CD drive leaving only the DVD drive. Restart and try again. If that does not work then either the DVD has new encryption or DRM that will not allow you to play it or the Drive is shot.

FYI-You can actually play almost anything with WMP but sometimes you must get the codec that you need and istall it/drag/drop it into the Codec folder/file for WMP. This is not quite the same as just installing a Codec pack like you see all over the web. A single codec can be obtained right from the manufacturer of the codec in many cases. This method IS NOT the same as a codec pack. They should have the exact procedure to install the codec where you download the codec from or have a link on how to do it.

Although VLC player is nice, WMP is more friendly and has more toys to play with.

This also holds true for playing .FLV flash videos from the web. If you install the codec directly into WMP, you can now play flash videos directly in WMP if you saved them to your hard drive.

Hi,

Thanks again for all the help. I’ll answer your questions.

I have only one drive for CDs and DVDS. It’s supposed to do both.

It used to work for both.

On My Computer I right clicked explore and it found nothing.

I’m not sure what is meant by device manage. I went to remove programs under the Control Panel and looked for a DVD driver to uninstall.

I downloaded a program called Driver Detective and did a scan. It said I had 46 drivers on my computer and 13 needed update. I am currently updating them. One of the Drivers in the list was under the heading DVD/CD-ROM drives. The Driver listed is a Philips CDD5301.

I clicked on the listed Driver and a drop down appeared saying:

Description: CD-ROM drive

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Driver Date; 7/1/2001

Version: 5.1.2535.0

I don’t know what WMP is or means. I did install Super Easy Codec Checker but don’t know what to do with it. I click it and than click Open audio-/video-file here. I click it and a menu appears. It says

Open

Look in RealOne Player

I click Open and nothibg happens. I enter *.* under file name and a list appears “a mile” long.

I go back to the “Look in” bar and click the check mark. I drop down appears and I select DVD/CD-RW Drive (E:) I click open and a drop down appears and I again select DVD/CD-RW Drive (E). this is a reoccurring cycle.

So I give up realizing I don’t know what I am doing or something is not working correctly.

Forgive this convoluted post but I am trying to get this D***** thing to work.

Thanks to all,

adkron

driver download here for your cd/dvdrom

scroll down and enter verification code

then click on download

http://www.nodevice.com/driver/CDD5301/get42467.html

Please, enter verification code:

Refresh

Download

what version of media player are you using 9,10,or 11

heres a paid version of PowerDVD 9 free

http://www.cyberlink.com/

you could try the trial and see if that works

if it does then you have the option to buy it

i use power dvd and install it on clients computers

i got the soft from LG Cyberlink Power Dvd

so its a bonus on there computer

Edited by mme

Hi,

Thanks again for all the help. I’ll answer your questions.

I have only one drive for CDs and DVDS. It’s supposed to do both.

It used to work for both.

On My Computer I right clicked explore and it found nothing.

I’m not sure what is meant by device manage. I went to remove programs under the Control Panel and looked for a DVD driver to uninstall.

I downloaded a program called Driver Detective and did a scan. It said I had 46 drivers on my computer and 13 needed update. I am currently updating them. One of the Drivers in the list was under the heading DVD/CD-ROM drives. The Driver listed is a Philips CDD5301.

I clicked on the listed Driver and a drop down appeared saying:

Description: CD-ROM drive

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Driver Date; 7/1/2001

Version: 5.1.2535.0

I don’t know what WMP is or means. I did install Super Easy Codec Checker but don’t know what to do with it. I click it and than click Open audio-/video-file here. I click it and a menu appears. It says

Open

Look in RealOne Player

I click Open and nothibg happens. I enter *.* under file name and a list appears “a mile” long.

I go back to the “Look in” bar and click the check mark. I drop down appears and I select DVD/CD-RW Drive (E:) I click open and a drop down appears and I again select DVD/CD-RW Drive (E). this is a reoccurring cycle.

So I give up realizing I don’t know what I am doing or something is not working correctly.

Forgive this convoluted post but I am trying to get this D***** thing to work.

Thanks to all,

adkron

Device Manage.....what was meant there is.. Device Manager, which you get to by right clicking My Computer, selecting Properties/Hardware/Device Manager.

WMP is Windows Media Player.

If you download the Klite Codec Pack http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

It will also install Windows Media Player Classic, which will play just about anything.

The fact your drive refuses to see the disk makes me wonder about a dirty lens, keep going with the above, but out of interest does your drive see ANY DVD media you place in it ? or will it refuse to see anything you put in there ?

Hi,

The DVDs still don’t play. I tried all the suggestions and have answered questions below:

Ans,

When I get to device Manager the listing is DVD/CD-ROM Drives PHILIPS CDD 5401

My windows Media Player is an 8. I don’t know my verification code.

I went to the link to download and they wanted money. I’ve already wasted $40.00 on a download that didn’t fix the problem. I refuse to spend more. Will trash this computer before I throw any more money after iy.

Went to Klite Codec Pack and did a download and DVDs still don’t play.

My drive does not see any DVD I put in it.

I don’t know why I can’t get this DVD problem fixed. I think ot’s time for a new computer.

Thanks to all,

adkron

The verification code is on the download page

its security for the download site

you will see it type it in and press download

that will be for your cd/dvdrom drivers

Posted Image

your windows media player is way out of date

windows media 10 is found here

what version of windows are you using XP , ME,98,NT

http://filehippo.com/download_windows_media_player/119/

dont bother with the site i posted if it asks for money

i was just thinking you wouldve gotten a free trial

and that was to see if it wouldve worked

The verification code is on the download page

its security for the download site

you will see it type it in and press download

that will be for your cd/dvdrom drivers

Posted Image

your windows media player is way out of date

windows media 10 is found here

what version of windows are you using XP , ME,98,NT

http://filehippo.com/download_windows_media_player/119/

dont bother with the site i posted if it asks for money

i was just thinking you wouldve gotten a free trial

and that was to see if it wouldve worked

Hi mme,

Thanks for the help. Please forgive my typo error on my DVD/CD. It is a model? CDD5301. I was tiered when writing the last post and my typing is pathetic when feeling fine.

I downloaded media Player 10 (it was free) and gave it a try. Again when I checked to see if the drive saw a DVD it did not. It does see CDs so I am beginning to think there is a “physical” breakdown of the DVD drive.

I updateded my RealPlayer and the same thing happened. It played CDs but would not play a DVD.

I received the following message when trying to play a DVD with the Media Player:

C00D1197: Cannot play the file

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

 Your computer is not connected to the local area network (LAN) or to the Internet. Connect to the network or Internet, and then try again.

 The path to the file is not valid. If you typed a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) in the Open URL dialog box, verify that the file name is spelled correctly and that the path to the file is correct, and then try again. If you clicked a link on a Web page, the link might not be valid.

 The server is not available (for example, the server is busy or not online). Try again later.

 Some network protocols in the Player are not enabled. Enable all network protocols, and then try again.

 The proxy server settings for the Player are not configured properly. Verify that your proxy settings are correct, and then try again.

To enable all network protocols

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Network tab.

2. In the Streaming protocols area, select all the protocol check boxes.

To verify your proxy server settings

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Network tab.

2. Verify your settings in the Streaming proxy settings area.

Note

 If you do not know what your proxy server settings should be, on the Network tab, select a protocol, click Configure, and then select Autodetect proxy settings or Use proxy settings of the Web browser (available for HTTP protocol only).

Error ID = 0xC00D1197, Condition ID = 0x00000000

Web Help

© 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I was connected tot he Internet so I followed the next set of instructions.

In the Streaming Protocols area on of the boxes (Use Ports) was not checked. I checked and clicked okay.

I put in a DVD and it wouldn’t play. I wen to my computer and Clicked DVD.

An audio and VideoTS folder appeared. I clicked Video.

A list of files appeared. I clicked on one of the files and received this message:

Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. Open Display in Control Panel, and then lower your screen resolution and color quality settings. To view the DVD Troubleshooter, click More Information.

I did the above and lowered my color settings from Highest 32 bit to Medium-16 bit. I was than told to reboot my computer to have the cchanges take effect. I did so and:

On rebooting and going to My Computer and clicking DVD no file was found.

After “jumping through all these hoops” I am again worn out by this and have other things to do. I’ll try again when time is available.

Thanks again,

adkron

give this a try it may solve your problem

1. Go to "Start" on the taskbar on your desktop.

2. Select "Run"

3. Type the following in the Open box:

regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmnetmgr.dll

4. Click "OK" to run it.

give this a try it may solve your problem

1. Go to "Start" on the taskbar on your desktop.

2. Select "Run"

3. Type the following in the Open box:

regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmnetmgr.dll

4. Click "OK" to run it.

Hi mme,

I did go to start and enter your recommendation. I hit run and was informed it was working properly.

Yet when I go to my computer and click my DVD Drive no files are found even with a DVD in the drive. My computer just isn’t seeing the DVD. I don’t know why. It sees CDs but not DVDs. I’ll keep trying and let you know if I ever find a solution.

One help menu said to down load Microsoft Windows Video Decoder Checkup Utility. I did so. On further investigation another help menu said not to use this for Widows Media Player 10 which I had down loaded. I went to my control panel to uninstall this program and can’t find it. It must be listed under another name.

While looking at the program list there are dozens of programs that weren’t there before I tried to fix the DVD player. During many of the recommended down loads I guess many of these programs were a part of the downloads. Now my computer is loaded with a bunch of programs that don’t solve the program but are using up space. Among them is a list of Windows XP Hotfix Programs followed by a bunch of different numbers. I have no idea what these are for and if I should uninstall them. My already over loaded old computer is in worse shape than before.

Thanks,

adkron

uninstall those programs

and defragment your harddrive

Start>>run>>dfrg.msc>>click ok

next run this cleaner

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...5&Itemid=69

CleanUp! 4.5.2 Download on the upper right

then see if mplayer2.exe will play anything like music or dvd

its an old or media player in your computer

start>>run>> mplayer2.exe >>click ok

ill continue to search for a solution

Edited by mme

uninstall those programs

and defragment your harddrive

Start>>run>>dfrg.msc>>click ok

next run this cleaner

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...5&Itemid=69

CleanUp! 4.5.2 Download on the upper right

then see if mplayer2.exe will play anything like music or dvd

its an old or media player in your computer

start>>run>> mplayer2.exe >>click ok

ill continue to search for a solution

Hi mme,

I uninstaleed the Windows XP Hotfix Programs. It took a while due to reboots taking place after half of the uninstalls. I'll run the defrag and other suggestions and let you know the results when done.

thanks for taking all this time to help me,

adkron

The MS Hotfixes in add and remove programs are your Microsoft updates! At one time did you use another program on your computer to play dvds? Such as power dvd? If I remember correctly you need a dvd codec in order to play dvds on a computer.

i searched the error 0xc00d1197

hundreds of postings but no real fix

update your shockwave player and flashplayer

http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

and go to windows update and see if updates are available

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us

you could try tuneup2009

it has a free trial for 30 days

just download it and run each of its features

restarting your computer after you run each one

ive used it in the past its been a good program

if its your first time using it

i suggest that you create a restore point

to create a restore point do this

from start>>>run>>>C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe>>>click ok

the system restore window will open

click on create a restore point

click next

then name it

follow the prompts

download and update tuneup 2009

http://www.tune-up.com/download/

after 30 days the automatic updates are no longer available

some if its features are also disable

but if it repairs your problem you can keep it for a bit

or you can uninstall it

Edited by mme

Hi mme,

I uninstaleed the Windows XP Hotfix Programs. It took a while due to reboots taking place after half of the uninstalls. I'll run the defrag and other suggestions and let you know the results when done.

thanks for taking all this time to help me,

adkron

Hi mme,

Hi mme,

The defrag finally finished its job. I went to the Cleanup site and it said to make a backup before running. They recommended a site for the backup and when I went there they wanted $56.00 for their download. I am not going to spend one more penny on this. My time is also valuable and this is beginning to look like a total waste of it. I don't know how to fix this problem and think I should just install another computer. I have one sitting by my desk and just haven't gotten around to hooking it up. I hate to think that something like this can happen to my currently run computer and there isn't a fix available that doesn't cost a small fortune in time or money to fix.

The DVD drive just does not see the DVD disks. It could be a hardware problem that requires a new drive. A new computer will have that.

I did download VLC and it saw a DVD and ran it for about thirty seconds than quite. It won't run it again and I uninstalled the program.

I'll try a few more suggestions before calling it quits.

Thanks for the help,

adkron

you dont need to back up clean up

just run the program but not in demo mode

they may ask for donation

but thats optional

you dont need to donate

or spend 56.00 dollars

cleanup is a free program

tuneup 2009 is a trial version

if tuneup cant help after you use it then uninstall it

it wont cost you anything

if it works/fixes it still wont cost anything

just uninstall it

cleanup refers you to a back up site you have to buy

but thats cleanups sponsor

Edited by mme

I think someone else has suggested this but everyone else is just confusing the issue with all kinds of different software, don't flame me guys, I know everyone wants to help!!

Have you tried buying a lense cleaner for the DVD drive and just physically cleaning it??

I just think all the software you have tried, and the fact that you can not see the files when you open the drive points to dirty lense or shot DVD drive, TBH with the cost of drives at the moment I would rip out the old one and spend £20 on a new anyway!!

I think someone else has suggested this but everyone else is just confusing the issue with all kinds of different software, don't flame me guys, I know everyone wants to help!!

Have you tried buying a lense cleaner for the DVD drive and just physically cleaning it??

I just think all the software you have tried, and the fact that you can not see the files when you open the drive points to dirty lense or shot DVD drive, TBH with the cost of drives at the moment I would rip out the old one and spend £20 on a new anyway!!

Hi,

I think you may be right. I had tried all the downloads and still when I click My computer and DVD/CD it doesn't see a DVD but it does see a CD.

I haven't tried cleaning the lens. I don't know how to do that. I am assuming I have to take the case off the computer to do that.

When I ran the Cleanup 4.5.2 Download it deleter over 61000 temporary files. WOW! I did a windows updayte after that ans still no luck on running a DVD.

I also found an Older Media Player by putting mpplayer2.exe in the start menu the player came up but it did not have a place to play a DVD. I clicked play and nothing happened. Again I could not get it to see the DVD.

Thanks again,

adkron