Wireless DSL internet connection says (unsecured) and cuts suddenly

Hello from Lebanon and thanks in advance for your valuable help.

I have been having a weird problem with my internet connection since a while. My connection is a 256K wireless DSL connection (I use a router). While the router is ok and does not show a red @, the connection suddenly cuts ONLY FROM MY LAPTOP, not from the network or provider: 2-3 secs before cutting, a yellow balloon pops up from the wireless internet connection icon in the taskbar (blue PC) that says: "connected to: name of connection(UNSECURED)" and then cuts. I then have to reconnect manually. This happens randomly with no specific task running or program open (it can happen 4-5 times in an hour or not happen at all in 3 hours). And this is really annoying when you are downloading and it suddenly stops...

Note that UNSECURED does not mean that my connection is not protected; it is, since it has a password.

I have also resolved and fixed all my viruses and malware issues previously even with highjackthis (for another problem). So my PC is not infected, I am clean.

What could be the cause of such a behavior and how to fix it? Could it be a problem in the network card for example?

Thanks again

Edited by leyanni

Try giving your network a name and let the router generate a password for the security that you choose (preferably wpa2). Then setup the wireless connection using the generated password that the router made for you.

It appears that you may have several wireless networks in your area and the system may be getting confused. For many reasons your computer may be getting a stronger signal from someone elses router and may be trying to connect to that network which might be the cause for you getting disconnected.

By using your own named network and password, this should solve most problems.

This IS NOT the same as your ISP/DSL user name and password.

Try giving your network a name and let the router generate a password for the security that you choose (preferably wpa2). Then setup the wireless connection using the generated password that the router made for you.

It appears that you may have several wireless networks in your area and the system may be getting confused. For many reasons your computer may be getting a stronger signal from someone elses router and may be trying to connect to that network which might be the cause for you getting disconnected.

By using your own named network and password, this should solve most problems.

This IS NOT the same as your ISP/DSL user name and password.

Hi again

Thanks for your reply. But my connection is set as WPA and it does not disconnect from my brother's laptop for example (in the same home). So since it's only happening from MY laptop...why should it be a password or configuration problem in the connection itself? Also I don't think that the router I have can generate passwords (how can I know this?)

• 11 months later...

Hello from Lebanon and thanks in advance for your valuable help.

I have been having a weird problem with my internet connection since a while. My connection is a 256K wireless DSL connection (I use a router). While the router is ok and does not show a red @, the connection suddenly cuts ONLY FROM MY LAPTOP, not from the network or provider: 2-3 secs before cutting, a yellow balloon pops up from the wireless internet connection icon in the taskbar (blue PC) that says: "connected to: name of connection(UNSECURED)" and then cuts. I then have to reconnect manually. This happens randomly with no specific task running or program open (it can happen 4-5 times in an hour or not happen at all in 3 hours). And this is really annoying when you are downloading and it suddenly stops...

Note that UNSECURED does not mean that my connection is not protected; it is, since it has a password.

I have also resolved and fixed all my viruses and malware issues previously even with highjackthis (for another problem). So my PC is not infected, I am clean.

What could be the cause of such a behavior and how to fix it? Could it be a problem in the network card for example?

Thanks again

Hey there, leyanni! Did you ever find a solution for this? It's exactly what is happening to me, and I can't figure it out.