downloads and streaming videos freeze, pages get stuck.

I am transitioning from Comcast cable internet to Verizon DSL. I've been having issues with the DSL, while downloading programs, applications or streaming videos they freeze up. Also pages randomly take too long to load. At first I thought it might be a router issue so I bypassed the router and it made no difference. Ive been on the phone 3 times with verizon tech support and they were no help. They tried to say that the issue is with my computer. However I have hooked my cable modem back up and everything works fine. I explained this to them repeatedly but they said that from their end everything looks perfect. I ran speed tests on speedtest.net and the cable and DSL speeds were almost equal. The DSL actually was a little faster. So I dont fully understand the problem, I appreciate any input on this.

-Jason-

This could be server issues or possibly your security on your computer. The cable may have been set to some trusted settings but the DSL may be still checking all those files.

I run Kaspersky 2009 and mine is set to check everything coming into my system from the internet so sometimes it can take a little while to play a video or other things because its getting checked thoroughly before the file executes. My system usually buffers most of a video in ram before it starts to play after it is scanned. I just put up with it and stay safe.

Try playing a video with your cable and then the exact same video with the DSL. If it takes longer with the DSL, then its probably your security settings. As you said, your DSL tested faster than the cable which is usually true.

Be careful with the security settings because you do not want to infect your system with a malicious video or any file for that matter.

This could be server issues or possibly your security on your computer. The cable may have been set to some trusted settings but the DSL may be still checking all those files.

I run Kaspersky 2009 and mine is set to check everything coming into my system from the internet so sometimes it can take a little while to play a video or other things because its getting checked thoroughly before the file executes. My system usually buffers most of a video in ram before it starts to play after it is scanned. I just put up with it and stay safe.

Try playing a video with your cable and then the exact same video with the DSL. If it takes longer with the DSL, then its probably your security settings. As you said, your DSL tested faster than the cable which is usually true.

Be careful with the security settings because you do not want to infect your system with a malicious video or any file for that matter.

I talked to verizon again and they agree to send a new modem and they are going to bump up our speed free of charge for a month. I dont believe that the speed is the issue since My cable modem runs slower but performs better than the dsl. Im going to try the current modem with the boosted speed and then hook up the new modem to determine the issue. last night i borrowed my neighbors laptop and checked speed w/ the cable and dsl modems and i had the same issue with the dsl freezing up. I have my cable hooked up to my computer now and it works fine.

Im not certain of anything else i can do with it, my knowledge is limited.

-jason-

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing similar issues and found this forum when searching for answers. I'll be watching a CNN video and it will stop half way through. I have DSL through ATT, and I've been suspecting it was their lack of service. My suspicion is that ISP resources have been diverted to internet TV (UVerse). It seems like I have more problems at night - typical TV-watching time - rather than in the morning.

I have tested transfer speeds with some online applications and surprisingly things seemed fine (just like Just888). And I have the same problem with two different computers. I also started to suspect the router, but after reading this thread, I think it's high time to start a class action lawsuit against these providers.

Nevertheless, any help would be appreciated.