Change Mode

Another Slow Connect Question

Guest taywood

Guest taywood

With 56K dialup by connect speeds are around 41 down and 56 upload.

Using Speedtec to re set the settings its still circa 41/56 at all times of the day.

No noticable improvement on the original, the Windows default settings. Should there have been?

The yellow flag on the Pitcrew report shows Internet connect is poor. Average ping rtt is 260-280.

Readings for downloading the leslie picture are between 4790/38000 and 5430/44000, is that good?

I'm a pensioner and cant afford broadband until UK ISP rates reduce.

My family setup WinMX for me, but I've stopped using that as its far too slow with my dialup.

I see its got a bandwidth limit, incoming limit to 22000 bytes per sec and outgoing to 10000 bytes per sec.

Could this limit be affecting my connect to IE/OE?

If I did go to basic broadband am I likely to get a connect speed at the bottom of the range with my

Athlon XP1700+cpu266mhz, 512 MB PC2100 DDr memory, 55.9 Gb system

and what would I need to spend money on to get the eye blinking speeds some of you guys boast about.

I think that you are getting average speeds for you dial up connection. Its not bad but you must realize that dial up is a slow connection type. The maximum speed that you can connect at is 53K which is about 6.6 KB/s download under ideal conditions.

If I did go to basic broadband am I likely to get a connect speed at the bottom of the range with my

Athlon XP1700+cpu266mhz, 512 MB PC2100 DDr memory, 55.9 Gb system

and what would I need to spend money on to get the eye blinking speeds some of you guys boast about.

If you get broadband, as long as you have a good NIC card installed in your pc, your connect speeds should not suffer. The slow processor speed might affect how multimedia and web applications load and run but your connect speed should be fast.

Guest gleasondl

I am running an AMD XP1800+ with a DSL Broadband connection and from my experience I don't think the CPU really effects your DSL speeds. I am a "Normal" computer person and can tell you that once you see DSL, even when it is what some of those on these forums call SLOW, you will be amazed. There is no way to explain a comparison of DSL or any other broadbank to dialup.

Also I think you said you were in the UK...There was just an announcement this morning that YAHOO was hooking up with some broadband supplier over there in your parts to try and do what they did with the SBCYahoo specials over here. I would keep an eye out and what for some deals. They offered some GREAT deals for new subscribers over here this past few months.

Some of my mistakes with DSL...get a good modem...the companies usually offer you a couple of choices..go out to some of the broadbank forum websites and check out the reviews on the equipment. I had a couple of problems early on...You can go to a lot of broadband websites also for information on how to tweak your connection, but a lot of times you will just screw everything up...make sure you know how to reset your configurations.

Good luck...I hope you end up with broadband and end up like the rest of us who would never go back...

Guest taywood

Thanks for the responses guys.

I started the thread because we had a bad patch of noisy landline, erratic PC dialup connections and disconnections. When I finally linked the two aspects together I found my download speed was 7 to 12 at the time the phone was noisy.

A BT Phone engineer just called, understood the problem and traced back to a split outer cable in a junction box two streets away. Water had seeped into the split and corroded the cable.

Its three years since we first reported the noisy phone.

All is now well, for a 56k dial up!!

The engineer claimed not to understand broadband but gave me the reassurance that any imperfections affecting internet access had now been corrected.

So, once I get my next pension increase I shall be looking for UK broadband offers.