Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark E

Good Backup Method Required

Guest Mark E

:blink: After a lot of trouble I finally am very close to having set my PC set up how I want it software and hardware wise. What I am now lookig for is a very easy and fool proof way of backing everything up. The PC is set up with WIN 98. The hard drive is partitioned C: (10Gig) and D: (20Gig).

I was thinking if I could boot up with a boot disk could I just copy C: to D:

I intend to leave D empty or just for rubbish storage or maybe for stuff that is about to be written to CD. I think really I ought to alter the drive partitions later so that I only use 10 gig as the back up partition.

Help please as this is the last thing I need to do I think. Besides now its ok I want to keep it that way.

Thanks a lot.

MArk.

:blink:

Guest Mark E

bit confused here. I would have thought that if I copied all of my C: drive to D: Then when I copied back everything would be there.

So how do things like registry get backed up.

Is this software to do back ups good. I was hoping just to copy my hard drive to another source (hard drive) and that I could just copy back again. Is this not the case?

:woot:

Thanks

Copying things from one hard drive to another doesnt always work. What if your hard drive which you backed up dies and you get a new one? Then if you simply copy everything that you put on your backup drive unto your new one will cause problems when you try to run programs which are dependent on your registry and the values they set there.

You can backup the registry by going to Start > Run > type in regedit and click OK

Highlight My Computer and then click on Registry > Export

The best and most secure way to backup all your things so that you can get them back later and so that they will still work is to use a backup utility.

Best backup proggie around has to be Drive Image 2002. Do a few searches on net and check it out. I used to like goback also, tho thats not really a backup but more like a system restore which microsoft should try to emulate in the next windows that comes out, as its head and shoulders above the built in system restore. But yeah Drive Image is the one to get if you want to back up everything. Its easy to do and does what it says. 2 or 3 clicks of the mouse and its rebooting and backing up. Cant get more fool proof than that......lol.

Keith

I agree with doofus, drive imaging software is the best way to go. You don't have to worry about reinstalling anything. Saves a ton of time in case of hard drive failure.

im just dreading incase my backup drive fails......lol. I may span it across a few cd's also just incase ya know as Drive Image does that to perfection also :)

btw im no sales person from power quest, but i believe in shouting good software from the rooftops.

Keith

I hear you, I have Norton Ghost 2000 but unfortunatly, it doesn't support my old CDRW drive. I haven't checked lately to see if there is an update for it though. I need to do the backup thing at home but I just do my necessary files to CD every now and then.

Guest neversure

Sounds to me that Mark E does not understand the difference in "copy" and "backup". Would be time well spent to study a little DOS. :P

Nascarfan, Norton Ghost will work for your "backup" if you want to call it a backup. What it does is basically takes a snapshot of your whole system the way it is at the time , including all installed programs, files, and all the settings of your system. Sort of like the system restore feature on some systems. When you use it to restore a drive, it puts everything back on the way it was before. You don't have to reinstall programs, fiddle with settings, or have to seperate files into folders. That's the beauty of the drive imaging software. That's why you save so much time using it.

Guest Mark E

Maybe I should have made the initial question a bit easier. What I want is to be able to have a good backup methodology so that if something goes wrong I can restore my PC easily.

Now if this means purchasing a 30 gig drive and some software then that is ok. I hear a lot of good things about drive image. However the name makes it sound like it copies the drives. Now come the detailed questions:

If I have two hard drives can I boot the PC and copy the contents of one to the other (say c: to D:). If this can be done then why would the PC behave differently if when it started up it found drive D insted of C. Surely if they are copies then it would not matter which one it found.

Please explain the registry, if this is not a file on the hard drive then this will need backing up to and are there other settings that need to be kept safe.

So will drive image style software allow me to do this. Would it make sense to use a partition on my hard drive to be used as a space to place a backup.

I just want a foolproof way of restoring my PC with all its settings etc as quickly and easily as possible.

:help:

Thanks.

Mark.

Drive image works in diferent ways. Yeah you can copy disk to disk, but as you said as it makes an exact copy then im pretty sure the bios will need to be changed so that it dont get confused as to which disk drive to boot from (tho im not sure on that). Or you can do it the prefered way (well mine anyway) and install drive image and just let it create an entire back up of all partitions you use on the 1st drive. I got 2 hard drives both split into 2 partitions. Windows and Games on Drive 1 and Backup and Spare on Disk 2. I get drive image to make an exact copy of both windows and games seperatly and store the backup images onto my disk 2 back up partition. In the event of problems (or if your like me you wanna test it out to see if it actually works.....lol) all you do is either boot into windows (if you can) and open drive image up and click on restore the partition of your choice and it will reboot and go about its job, or in the event that windows dont boot up, you can use the boot up floppy that you create when installing drive image and restore partitions that way. I personally wouldnt be without it now.

Btw with Drive Image you dont need to worry about the registry as its makes a 100% full and complete backup of the partitions/drives you choose to backup. So much so that my games partition dont need to restored if i get problems just with my windows partition as it just does that good of a job in restoring the windows one that not one link between the windows and games gets broken.

Keith

Edited by doofus