Change Mode

Install hardware without it's Software

duanester

when we add new hardware and device's most tend to run the installation cd and install additional software and utilities that can lead to system instability and eventually experience undesirable performance.

essentially all we need is the driver, for most devices' windows already has these utilities !

this trick describes how to install hardware without the bundled software and utilities :)

1 ) plug in the device.

windows will detect it automatically

Posted Image

2 ) put in the installation cd and click next.

windows will extract the needed drivers, simply wait.

Posted Image

if the cd installer comes up during this time, click exit or cancel, we wont be needing it.

Posted Image

in some cases during the time windows extracts the driver' you may be presented with the infamous logo testing dialog, click continue anyway

Posted Image

finally' you should see a dialog that say your hardware is installed and ready ready to use.

Posted Image

this tip works for most hardware, if you plug in the device and windows does not detect it' you may have to install the utilities from the installation cd.

the images used here in this tutorial are examples only' these are in fact the steps needed to install your hardware and keep your system performing as it should.

if you have any questions before proceeding' i will be glad to assist :)

I fully agree that is the best method for installing ethernet and wireless cards. Windows already had everything necessary to connect wired/wireless and most of the wireless software I've seen is usually useless (linksys tech support has even told me to use windows because their softwarre sux) . I would have an issue doing that with a printer tho, a lot of folks want their printer software

some cases' the bundled software for printers isn't needed, i do understand that many wish to monitor ink levels' or use tools and templates, that is fine :tup:

personally' i just load the driver and let windows printing utility do the work, if the ink runs low' i will know by the quality of the print out, this way their aren't several services and processes running and my system partition remains clean !

if you run office applications' they are capable enough to produce a quality print without the installers bundled software :)

yes' your welcome

i showed someone this tip yesterday' he was amazed how well his system responded :tup:

he initially thought that he needed more ram because all these extra's, i tried navigating around ' like opening control panel/ add and remove, it literally took almost a minute too see a list of installed programs !

it required uninstalling all the software and doing a defrag' then reloading the needed drivers, well worth the time as it saves him hours a week waiting for his system to boot and load applications.......

now it boots fast and application respond instantly :)