Change Mode

Computer won't start

JaneInVegas

I realize I can't get my computer diagnosed without someone actually taking a look at it, but I'm just trying to figure out what my odds are here. My computer will not turn on. When I press the power button, there is no power. And yes, I checked the power strip, the outlet, etc.

I have an eMachine (yeah I know, I know) and I have heard they are notorious for mother board problems, which will cause this power issue. I have also been told it could simply be the power button has fried out. I haven't been able to find someone who provides free diagnosis, so I don't really want to blindly take it into the shop without having a good idea of what I'm looking at. In other words, if it's the mother board I guess it wouldn't be worth my while since I won't be able to dump more money into it.

How much do mother boards typically run, including installaton? Is this really the most likely problem? If anyone could shed some light on this for me, I'd be most appreciative.

Edited by JaneInVegas

Does eMachine need a special PSU from the company?

Have you ever worked inside of the tower?

I guess there are no fans or lites?

Welcome to Pitstop.

an Emachine is the same as a dell or HP their OEM's and no the PSU dosn't need to be a OEM you can buy off the shelf i've done the swap many of times if the eMachine's PSU is AT then there is a problem they stopped making those in favor of the ATX 20(pre pci-e)/24(post pci-e) pin connectors. if the computer dose not have a P4 or Atholon processor you can still use a modern PSU just don't hook up the 4 pin processor power connector its not needed

I have an emachine. They are notorious for having bad power supplys. They use bestec, and from experience, when they go they take the mobo with it. When I transfered over my info from my old computer to another emachine, I had the guy change out the power supply. Hope I shed some light.

If it is the power supply and mother board, then you'll probably be better off getting a new pc. If you take it in for repairs it will most likely cost more that the 3 or $400 to replace it. While it is possible to do yourself, you'll need to get the exact replacement board and it won't be cheap or another off the shelf board but then you'll need to get an operating system with it because you probably have a restore disk and it won't work on a different mother board

Dragon is correct there.

eMachine is notorius for it's massive motherboard and power supply failures. I experienced it first had for nearly 3 years.

They tend to take out one component at a time.

Video Cards, hard drives, expansion cards, optical drive.

And then eventually it will just take the entire enchalata with it.