Change Mode

frankinstien's creator

Could the person who rebuilt my computer have set it up to gain remote access, and how could I detect it or stop it?

Situation is: I bought a used dell 3000, 2.4 gb celeron, 512 ram, xp home 40 gb drive. Then subscribed to verizon dsl. The dell was full of junk, (too much for me to handle), and logged at least 2095 errors prior to my use.

Took it to a friend, (?). to try to clean it up some. Ended up with a used 80 gb drive, 1 gb ram and a liecenced version of xp pro.

Then at home, I reinstalled verizon...etc.

In my network places there are several folders with my friend's name on them that I can't open, even in safe mode under the machine administrator account. I can see some properties, (xceed software inc.

I hope it's not possible for him to gain access somehow, since he spends day and night playing with computers in his basement, (laboratory). He's a stay-at-home dad, very smart, and pretty much an acomplished hack.

Could someone please set me straight? Thanks

Welcome to Pitstop.

Why do you call him a friend, if you don't trust him?

If you wipe the HD & reinstall XP the system would be clean.

Does he know your IP address, that might not be good.

Other thoughts will be coming.

Edited by law9933

http://xceed-software-inc.software.informer.com/

http://xceed.com/

List of programs that xceed software developes.

Sounds like your friend should no longer be your friend.

I agree with law9933 on this one and wipe it and reinstall the OS on you own. Its fairly simple, just make sure you have the drivers to your computer. Being a dell go to www.support.dell.com and go to the download drivers section and enter in the service tag that is on the case of the computer. Download the drivers. There might be more than one, so might have to open the case up and find a label. If not well trial and error doesn't hurt anything, just uninstall if it doesn't work.

Also, before you do anything. I would contact authorities ASAP. This guy could be stealing information from other people as well. This sort of illegal activity isn't taken lightely. In my opinion do NOT approach this friend about this. Go right to the authorities about it.

Good luck, and if you have any questions keep it here in this thread so it can be tracked and responded too.

Edited by Maxst2

http://xceed-software-inc.software.informer.com/

http://xceed.com/

List of programs that xceed software developes.

Sounds like your friend should no longer be your friend.

I agree with law9933 on this one and wipe it and reinstall the OS on you own. Its fairly simple, just make sure you have the drivers to your computer. Being a dell go to www.support.dell.com and go to the download drivers section and enter in the service tag that is on the case of the computer. Download the drivers. There might be more than one, so might have to open the case up and find a label. If not well trial and error doesn't hurt anything, just uninstall if it doesn't work.

Also, before you do anything. I would contact authorities ASAP. This guy could be stealing information from other people as well. This sort of illegal activity isn't taken lightely. In my opinion do NOT approach this friend about this. Go right to the authorities about it.

Good luck, and if you have any questions keep it here in this thread so it can be tracked and responded too.

Thank you so much...is there a way I can disable his or uninstall it now

Thank you so much...is there a way I can disable his or uninstall it now

Just had conversation with a verizon supervisor who suggested that my computer may have been linked to my friends for easier downloading and/or configuring of other programs and accessories. Hopefully, this is the case. But I will still get rid of this networking files one way or the other.

Thanks again....will post findings

I would highly suggest reformatted your computer.

The idea of anyone, even a friend having access to my computer is a scary thought.

Thanks for all the input....especially about the stored photos...will wipe the drive and re install myself, at my home. Think I'll actually go to the store and buy xp mdc, it's all I need. Don't know how I got a licsenced os from him, but of course I didn't get the disc. I don't feel ripped off....he didn't ask for any money for adding

the bigger drive or doubling the ram to 1 gb.

thanks

Thanks for all the input....especially about the stored photos...will wipe the drive and re install myself, at my home. Think I'll actually go to the store and buy xp mdc, it's all I need. Don't know how I got a licsenced os from him, but of course I didn't get the disc. I don't feel ripped off....he didn't ask for any money for adding

the bigger drive or doubling the ram to 1 gb.

thanks

I don't think you can buy XP Media Center at a brick and mortar store but you can get it here.

Mark

Ok, before you get TOO excited here.........I just worked on a friends ancient laptop yesterday....Like always, I hooked it up to my router and put it in my network so that I could install a few programs on it without going through the time and inconvenience of downloading them from the internet onto his computer. After reading your post, I checked "my network places" and sure enough, his shared folder showed up. I clicked on it and got the pop up telling me I couldn't open it. But, the shared folder disappeared after that. I am going to guess that when he opens "my network places" he will see the shared folders for the two computers I had running when I ran the network wizard on his..........I don't know why your friends folders didnt disappear after you clicked on them, so all I can say is if you don't trust him, reformat. If you do trust him, then don't worry about it........As for the free parts......well..........I do that too. If I am fixing their computer and I have a stick of ram or a newer cable or a faster cd drive or a less anemic video card lying around in my pile of old parts, I just shove them in where they fit.

Ok, before you get TOO excited here.........I just worked on a friends ancient laptop yesterday....Like always, I hooked it up to my router and put it in my network so that I could install a few programs on it without going through the time and inconvenience of downloading them from the internet onto his computer. After reading your post, I checked "my network places" and sure enough, his shared folder showed up. I clicked on it and got the pop up telling me I couldn't open it. But, the shared folder disappeared after that. I am going to guess that when he opens "my network places" he will see the shared folders for the two computers I had running when I ran the network wizard on his..........I don't know why your friends folders didnt disappear after you clicked on them, so all I can say is if you don't trust him, reformat. If you do trust him, then don't worry about it........As for the free parts......well..........I do that too. If I am fixing their computer and I have a stick of ram or a newer cable or a faster cd drive or a less anemic video card lying around in my pile of old parts, I just shove them in where they fit.

Yeah, he is a friend of 15 years, and I can trust him up to about 99 percent. But just for my own peace of mind, (and since there's almost nothing yet stored on this computer), I"m still going to start over from square one. No biggie. The burner acts up anyway. My friend's basement lab looks really wild...several towers in various states of repair or disrepair, monitors and hubs, wireless everythig, things that pull down from the ceiling, like soldering irons and such. And my favorite, a 3' x 5' table behind it all filled with cables and wires 6", (SIX INCHES), deep. No kidding!!! One day I'll get a picture of it and post it. Frankinstien's lab.

Thanks everyone. Merry X-Mas

Just had a thought.........download unlocker

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

after its installed, right click on the folder you are trying to get rid of and click 'unlocker'........it will probably give you a message 'no locking handle found', but there will be a dropdown with options......click 'delete on boot' then reboot and see if the folder is gone