Change Mode

How many Hours a week can a minor work?

el kido

Hi Guys, sorry I been MIA and havent been able to help much. Id love to be back at the forums 24/7 offering advice but I cant. :hammer:

Well, I was wondering what the maximum hours a week I can work while school is in session but I am also enrolled in work experience so I know its extended, I just dont want to ask my :filtered: of a teacher.

My GPA is 3.0 (on the dot) and I dont want to say how many hours I currently am working to stir up a fight and everyone yell at me. :lol:

I just want to get as many hours as I can, but dont want to get my company in trouble. The managers are aware of most of it but never dealt with a minor in work experience or wanting this many hours.

And how bout the hours of rest I get between a shift? Ill tell you guys this part but dont get madd.

I worked friday 3pm-1 am and went in saturday 6am-2pm. That safe or did I do a bad? First I wanted Over time and hours. I had nothing better to do friday or saturday anyways.

Thanks for the help guys.

No more than 40 if you're over 16 I believe, and if you're in school, no more than 20. And the whole 8 hours thing can be an issue as well, if you're a minor. I don't think minors can work over 8 hours per day either. Unless you want to cost your company a lot of money, and get fired, do 8 hour shifts, and work no more than 40 hrs/week.

Edited by brandon

I know standard is 20 hours a week.

And ya brandon that makes since. What do I do for more cash then without putting my company down? 2 jobs is BS because Im doing the christmas tree farm to and they are pathetic, They try to call you in 20 minutes before a shift and dont have a real schedule, so forget them.

and my company seems to be the only one growing and hiring. Everyone else is dismissing. :mrsgreen:

First welcome to the world of a bad economy where if you have any job your considered lucky. Reasons those still in school are limited as to the number of hours they can work:

1. your still growing and developing so you need a minimum of 8 hours sleep every 24 hours

2. Federal child labor laws as well as state labor laws apply

3. your employer should check the law since they can be fined for breaking the law

No sure about your state but in Missouri 6 hours a day is maximum and that's only on weekends. The maximum is 20 hours a week.

4. too many work hours get in the way of study and school

Sorry if you need more money than your able to make working the legal number of hours :geezer: Don't be in such a rush to work alot of hours when you get out of school your work life will stretch out many years at a minimum of 40 years :geezer:

Main Link

Sub Link

I am the general manager and senior dispatcher where I work and we have a couple of minors working for us, I think it is commendable in this day that you and your peers are willing to work and for the most part work very hard. I am going to tell you the same thing I tell them Make sure you don't overload your self and you remember to balance out your time so you don't get burn out.

Bear

I worked friday 3pm-1 am and went in saturday 6am-2pm.

I say it's your employer's responsibility to know these things. I think you should talk to them. It's their :filtered: that's on the line, not yours.

With that said, those are some brutal hours. If it's only temporary I say go for it, especially this time of year. Avoid working like this all the time though or you'll end up wondering how life passed you by.

Mark

"6am-2pm"=8hrs (I don't know the laws)

On a family farm/ranch that is ordinary + it could be hard labor & longer.

3.0 is great, but from your posts, I would of guessed higher.

As stated don't get burnt out or neglect your education.

Just wondering is your job connected to PCs, where you seem to interested & talented.

I say it's your employer's responsibility to know these things. I think you should talk to them. It's their :filtered: that's on the line, not yours.

With that said, those are some brutal hours. If it's only temporary I say go for it, especially this time of year. Avoid working like this all the time though or you'll end up wondering how life passed you by.

Mark

That may be true, but it's really easy to get fired, especially if you violate labor laws.

That may be true, but it's really easy to get fired, especially if you violate labor laws.

Apparantly, as required by law, the labor laws are not posted at his place of employment, or he would know the answer to his questions.

I would love to see a person get fired because the employer violated child labor laws. That child would have one hell of a law suit.

Contrary to what you may think, it is the employers responsibility to obey such laws, and if they overwork a child then they are guilty not the child.

Well Law, thanks but my GPs has never been this high, lol.

And no its not, its related to toys. :mrsgreen: I wish it would involve computers.

As for the laws, I talked to my managers and they told me I cant work more then 48 hours a week, and all the other stuff I knew.

So this week I put in 45 after lunches added AND I am happy about it because I need some money and these hours wont stay, Ill be lucky to get 30 by february. As for my Ebay account and making money off that, its doing pretty good now. $100 a week for selling these computer parts and I am at work so I dont do much. lookin pretty good.

To be honest though, I have nothing else better to do. Either I stay home, play video games, and study computers, or go to work, come home, study computers and then maybe 20 mins of game.