Change Mode

Whos Useing Raid

i have been doing this for one week now i have reformatted number of times and when it asked me to set what drives i seen both and i put the Y on them for yes i ry the drivers that came with the motherbaord and try the one on the site and Still getting these BSOD

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are your drives SATA or IDE? When your installing windows you will have to press F6 (I am guessing you know this) right after you turn on the pc and starts to boot from the cd.. (It will ask you to press F6 on the blue screen on the bottom)

When it finishes loading some simple drivers you will have to press "S".. Also do you have the floppy drive enabled? This would be under standard BIOS features with your clock and stuff.

yes these are 2x 500gig sata HDD

And yes i have been doing everything that you just asked

and yes i have the floppy enabled

, i will asked this question again are the HDDs supposed to show up n the Bios when i change it fron IDE to RAID cause if they suppsed to show up in RAID there not BUT if i put it to IDE both drives show up

when i go into the RAID utility both hdd are there and in RAID0 and they are functional and they show up as 999.99 Gigs

yes these are 2x 500gig sata HDD

And yes i have been doing everything that you just asked

and yes i have the floppy enabled

, i will asked this question again are the HDDs supposed to show up n the Bios when i change it fron IDE to RAID cause if they suppsed to show up in RAID there not BUT if i put it to IDE both drives show up

when i go into the RAID utility both hdd are there and in RAID0 and they are functional and they show up as 999.99 Gigs

Whatever your RAID utility is, they should show that way in BIOS under "Boot". For instance if it was/is Nvidia, it would show as an Nvidia Stripe 999.99Gb, or in my instance (I'm on Intel) mine shows as Intel RAID0 465 Gb.......

Are you using the manufacturers floppy, or one you created?? If it's theirs, take a new floppy and create your own, toss in the mobo cd and in Explorer, select "Explore/Drivers/IDE" and they'll be there. I've had bad driver floppy disks from the manufacturer before, and had some that I made go bad too......

:geezer:

Edited by caintry_boy

Do you have another hard drive? When I install my raid (after doing a fresh install of windows) I have a problem as well if I do not connect an IDE hard drive for some reason.. WIll take some pics..

As you can see from the pic below of my disk management the IDE has "system" under it and "C" has boot. I never really understood why though as it needed to format My "D" drive first (windows did automatically) Maybe it is because I have all SATA 2 drives? But will show you what it looks like from my BIOS and what I enabled

Have to take kids to school will take me after that..

Notice disk 0 is not part of the raid.. As it is an IDE drive I use for backup and a little partition for the page file. But for some reason it need to format D and put a couple files on it??

Posted Image

Edited by lugnut

try downloading the latest driver from AMD site for your 790FX chipset with a known good floppy

I agree with Flew. I tried unsucessfully to load Raid on a new installation. Turned out the drivers supplied on the manufacturers installation disk were causing the problem.

Once I downloaded and matched the latest drivers to the motherboard the install went ahead with no problems.

As caintry mentions, it will show in the Boot Menu under Hard Disk Drives.

I've got a couple of other drives on this computer as well as a Raid setup and they show up on the Main Menu, but the Raid Array does not. All hard drives show in the Boot Menu though. Picking and changing the boot order here is how I chose to dual boot. XP is on Raid-0 and Vista is on one of the other drives installed.

Congrats on getting the dang thing installed Roger! :tup:

:)Y

its not showing up at all in the bios now even the sata dvd i have, it only show up in the bios if i switch it to IDE , can someone explain as im new to the raid thing

Correct me if im wrong , are you talking about the plain black screen that shows the HDD in RAID in one part and DVD under it, is that what your talking when you say Boot Menu

so i will not see it in the bios at all on in that black screen after it tells me that it Searching HDD............

then just to where it shows the one HDD @ 999.99 Fuctional

Not trying to act stupid , im just learning as i have another HDD with an O/S on it can i put it in the system with the RAID , i know it not going to be a RAID , this has all the drivers and everything for this motherbaord, all i did was take it out of the system so if i put it in all i have to do it switch the boot to that HDD is i want to load that correct

Edited by XRogerX

it depends on the manufacturer roger :)

sometimes it can be a problem, sometimes not, the only way to be sure' is by checking out all the docs, search the web, or even email support.

however as long as everything is working' you could assume all is well at least till the next time.

are you talking about the plain black screen that shows the HDD in RAID in one part and DVD under it, is that what your talking when you say Boot Menu

Take a look at stormy13's reply in post#4 in this thread: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=163252 <<<< that's the Boot Menu that I was talking about. Bios's vary and yours may be different.

If it does look similar, then going to the third item down "Hard Disk Drives" will reveal all hard drives installed. Mine lists my Raid drives as SCSI-0 Nvidia Stripe. Under that I have 2 Western Digital Drives listed, on one of them I installed Vista. By changing the Vista drive to be listed 1st enables me to boot into that drive. Booting into the Raid array, when I have it listed first, puts me in Windows XP.

As long as you can change which drive is listed first, then you can put the other hard drive into the system and dual boot through the Bios as well. :mrgreen:

But as duanester mentions, the manufacturer may have specific guidelines needed in order to get it working. What version is your Bios? I just checked for the board in your sig and it looks like version 0602 fixes some hard drive issues:

Version 0602

Description M3A79-T Deluxe 0602 BIOS

Fix HDD device Boot priority will reset after changing HDD device.

Fix system can not reset after recoverying BIOS from USB device.

Update ExpressGate to 1.3.12.1

http://support.asus.com/download/download....3A79-T%20Deluxe

I hope this is of some help and not confusing the issue. :unsure:

:)Y

Guest dwfinch

Thats right! Your raid configuration wont show on the first page of your bios like your hard drives will when set to IDE. You need to go over to the tab marked Boot, or Boot Priorities, and in that tab go down to Hard drives, and there it should show you your RAID Array. Using your arrows, scroll down to the RAID Array, until it is highlighted, and the using your + and - buttons, move it to the top, so it's the first hard drive on top. Then go to exit out of that page by pressing Esc, and go to the Hard drive Boot Priorities, and the first drive to be booted up should be your RAID Array.

I also agree that the BSOD was due to bad drivers on the floppy. Another way to install 3rd party drivers for an array, would be to use a USB flash drive, in place of a floppy drive.

IMHO there is absolutely nothing wrong with using RAID-0, you just need a program like Acronis True Image Home 2009. This program, as well as others out there, will create an entire and complete image of your whole system! Drivers, registry, user settings, everything! It works perfectly! I have been using RAID-0 for years, and Acronis, and never once lost any data.

Edited by dwfinch

My ASUS board i have to go in and say there is raid, then after post it'll give you a spot where you need to press ctrl+I or x i dont remember, then you go in there and "build" the RAID. There you want it to be stripe and either auto or default for sector size. Changing it to a larger or smaller has performance changes. Then you create the raid array and say is is active and your booting from it.

XP - Then you boot onto your windows disk with the floppy in and press f6, load the drivers. then when you get into you should see only one drive with around 950gb of useable space, format it. I personally dont bother with parting out a raid0 array. Then your done.

Vista - You dont need a floppy drive, yay!!! One thing i like about vista is that you can pull from a usb drive. Then load the drivers, format and gtg.

Finding, and making sure it works, an imaging software to image your drives on raid0 is a must. I have 300gb of data, mostly games. And I tell you.... games + patches, all of the changes I have, MS updates, and then programs... is about a two day setup. Not fun.

You SHOULD see your individual drives in BIOS. but in post and raid boot screen it should be like stripe array and size thats all. At least on mine it is like that.

yes i have my RAID ALL SET UP AND I CAN DUAL BOOT FROM THE bios now without np will be putting the 320gig in soon and useing that as a backup for the RAID ,but so far everything is working out , and ty to all who have helped me to get it going