Change Mode

Our internet connection stopped working suddenly this week. Checked with our ISP and they say all is fine. Assumed it was our wireless modem/router as had been dropped a few times and was being flaky! :blink:

Went out to get a new modem/router (Netgear DGN2000) assuming all would be fine.

The modem boots up and has all the right lights, but we cannot get the setup to work - the wizard cannot find the router, even though it is plugged in by cable to the back of the pc (tried on desktop and laptop with same results.)

When trying to connect to the router's default ip address in internet explorer, we get a page cannot be displayed error. Also, cannot ping the ip address from command prompt. While trying to sort out all this I ran ipconfig to look at the ip details for my pc, and it doesn't work properly. ipconfig just returns the line 'Windows Ip Configuration' and then goes straight back to the cursor prompt. without displaying any information. ipconfig /? and ipconfig/all both return the help instructions. Haven't tried the other commands yet.

:pullhair:

I have tried a reset of the modem to factory settings (although we haven't been able to get to the modem settings to change them in the first place) have rebooted machine and modem numerous times. Have tried different cables etc. Aaaargh!

Any thoughts at all anyone?

Have you tried another cable between the pc and router?

Have you chacked your led lights on where the RJ-45 plugs in at? If I am not mistaking yellow connection and green means data transfer.

Might be be your network card go to start, run, in the dialog box put cmd. Now type ping 127.0.0.1

or ping localhost You should have no lost packets and 0-1 ms respond

Have you tried another cable between the pc and router?

Have you chacked your led lights on where the RJ-45 plugs in at? If I am not mistaking yellow connection and green means data transfer.

Might be be your network card go to start, run, in the dialog box put cmd. Now type ping 127.0.0.1

or ping localhost You should have no lost packets and 0-1 ms respond

Hi

Thanks for the response.

Just to update that I managed to get connected eventually - but using the laptop to configure the router (finally got that to work) My pc still stubbornly refuses to recognise that it has a cable plugged in. The is a green led but no orange one. Do you think my onboard lan might be not working?

I can now connect wirelessly but it is doing strange things - coming up with address not found a lot, but then when I reload the page it's fine.