Sign in to follow this  
jesusfreak

Video Problems

it sounds like its the screen itself its not uncommon for them to go bad does your laptop have a vga output or maby a s-video out if so test it with another monitor and see if it does the same thing if not i would say its your laptop screen and unless you feel comfortable enough to take your laptop apart and replace it i would say bring it to a repair shop sorry bud

Couldn't be the screen. I have my laptop plugged into a large LCD monitor 99% of the time and the distortion appears on both the large screen and the laptop screen. Also, The distortion doesn't appear when playing DVDs. Only when I play a video file from my hard drive or stream a video over the Internet

If your video is going bad it maybe time to get it replace or repaired

That was only a suggestion

If its coming from harddrive and not the dvd player

Download CCleaner...Uncheck the option to install yahoo toolbar

its a feature with CCleaner

in order to run it you may have to Run as Administrator

Once its finished Restart your computer

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

After you restart do the following

Run a chkdsk /r

and defragment your harddrive

click start orb

click on Computer

Right click on local drive Usually its C:drive

Select properties

press the Tools Tab

You will see to two options

perform both of the options

one is to Check Disk

The other is to Defragment

run both of the tools

UAC will request if you want to continue

just press continue

These tools will take time to perform

DO NOT DISTURB THEM

Edited by mme

Well, After sending my laptop into Toshiba for repairs they told me that the hard drive was bad and replaced it. When I got it back I have the same problem. BUT, not I think I've found out what it is. It's called "Page tearing" or "Screen tearing" It's what happens when the computer sends out more fps than the monitor can handle. Funny thing is is that my computer is set at 60hz and so it shouldn't do this. I've also enabled V-sync but with no improvement. Another oddity is that the distortion seems to be much less intrusive and noticeable when Aero is turned on. I would have thought it would have been the exact opposite. When I turn Aero off it's just horrible

Guest dwfinch

Is this happening when you use Windows Media Player, or do you use another player?

If you use the Windows Media player click on tools, and then click on the Performance tab. There should be a setting there to both enable and disable acceleration. Check it to see if it is enabled. I think it's a slider control, but not sure.

It happens on all players including WMP. You can also recreate the distortion if you zoom in on a photo and drag it back and forth. You can also get the distortion when scrolling down a long web page. It happens with all video except DVDs, they play fine. I've been shown what "Page tearing" looks like and I would have to say that this is what is happening to me. I just don't know how to fix it

Guest dwfinch

Well, since you've already eliminated the LCD screens as the problem, I would say that it's your video card.

Can you run a Pitstop test?

Edited by dwfinch

Well, since you've already eliminated the LCD screens as the problem, I would say that it's your video card.

Can you run a Pitstop test?

Yes, I can run pitstop. Here are all the results that have to do with the video

Video Acceleration - On

Video - 120 MP/sec Bottom 49%

3D Video - 171 fps Top 27%

Visual Effects Test - Optimal

Video resolution Tes - 1280 Pixels

2D Video Benchmark - 119.5 MP/s

Also, when I sent my laptop in to get it fixed they did a test on the video card and didn't find any problems with it. They determand that it was the hard drive and replaced it. But that didn't end up fixing the problem

Guest dwfinch

Without the whole picture, we can't tell you much!

After you run the test, copy the address in the address bar, and past it in your next post!

That way both me, and all of the professionals here can look at your test, and give there opinions of how to fix your problem!

Just right click in your reply, and click on past.

Here's my last test

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=21424827

Edited by dwfinch

Well you shouldn't use "two" programs to defragment a hard drive as they all work differently.

Choose the one you like the most, and use that one application only.

I did notice that you have nvidia graphics card and also have ati catylist manager installed,might be a conflict there.might try uninstalling the ati manager and see if it helps.Just a guess

Bruce, I used the program I like best to defrag and then I did a pitstop scan and it said my hard drive was fragmented. So Then I used the windows defrag and did the scan again with the same results. I don't normally use both programs

woodro, I don't know why it's saying that I have a nvidia graphics card. My device manager says that my card is an ATI Radeon X1200 and that's what the specs for my computer on the Toshiba web site say as well.

Edited by jesusfreak

does it show nvidia drivers installed in your add and remove programs,if so i would uninstall them then go into device manager and unistall video card,reboot and let windows reinstall card,also you might want to go to toshibas web sight and grab latest video drivers first,just incase you will need them.

No, there is nothing in my add and remove programs that has anything to do with nvidia. I have uninstalled my card and rebooted. Windows installs the ATI driver for the card but it's outdated so I've downloaded the latest driver and installed it. I have no idea why pitstop would be seeing my video card as a nvidia

sorry about that it was dwfinch's link i had open and didn't relize it :thud: any who have you tried going into bios and see if memory dedication to video is set as high as can be.

sorry about that it was dwfinch's link i had open and didn't relize it :thud: any who have you tried going into bios and see if memory dedication to video is set as high as can be.

I haven't done that, I don't even know how to do that. I haven't done much with the bios other than changing the first boot drive when installing windows so I don't know if it would be the best idea for me to mess with it to much