Sign in to follow this  
jesusfreak

Video Problems

I've noticed recently that I'm getting a distortion in video files played from my hard drive. I haven't really noticed it playing from a DVD. It's kinda like a jagged line that starts about a third of the way from the bottom of the screen and goes down to the bottom. It doesn't happen at regular intervals. I tried pushing the print screen button while it was happening to be able to post a pic of what it looks like but it doesn't show up in the pics. Also, when there is a really deep web page and I'm scrolling down to the bottom, during the scrolling I see the same distortion. I've tried re-installing the video card driver but that didn't seem to have any effect. Thanks for any help in resolving this issue!

Justin

have tried updating the video card

when you said you reinstalled

did you uninstall it from device manager and restart your computer

at the restart it gets reinstalled

It's a brand new laptop so no, I didn't get a new video card for it. When I re-installed the driver I did uninstalled in from the device manager, restarted, windows installed a basic driver for it and then I downloaded the latest driver for the video card and installed it and restarted again. It all works fine other than that one problem

have tried updating the video card

when you said you reinstalled

did you uninstall it from device manager and restart your computer

at the restart it gets reinstalled

when you print screen

the next step is to open paint

then go to edit and paste

that should show the image

then save it give it a name

choose jpeg image click save

have you check to see if your hardware accelerator is all the way

that should in Display Properties...Settings ...Advanced..Troublehoot Tab

you should see Hardware Accelerator slide make sure its all the way

Edited by mme

When I do that (display setting, advanced, Troubleshooting) the button that says "Change settings" is grayed out. This is probably because the software for the video card has it's own settings tap there. When you click on that tab you have about a hundred choices on changing settings but I don't see anything that says anything about acceleration. I just leave all these settings on default. I just figure that since it all worked perfectly when I bought the laptop, and I haven't changed any of the settings since then, that this is not the problem

leave them on default was just wondering if you saw somehing like this

Posted Image

No, like I said, when I go to that tab all I see is a grayed out button that says "Change settings" and right below that it says that my display driver doesn't allow changes to be made to the acceleration. Also, I've run the pcpitstop test and it said my video card was working fine

For me thats new ....Is your display at the correct setting...Maybe some else knows how to fix your isssue...Ill search around to see if someone else had same problem with a solution.

My laptop is on the same settings it was when I bought it and it worked perfectly at that time. I haven't changed anything. Thanks for your help!

Ok now i see its Windows Vista

Im limited when it comes to vista

although i own couple of computers

with vista installed

i still use windows xp

Stormy13 And Jacee Only to name a couple are the Experts with Windows Vista

But there are other members that are very well knowledgeable

Is there warranty left on laptop

use it if its still good

Edited by mme

Are you using multiple monitors? I've got the Catalyst Control Center pulled up, but I don't see what (tab) you've selected...It could be because I have 2600pro series and not X1200 series.

Support and drivers is here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/

It's a laptop so it has it's built in monitor and then I have my big LCD monitor. 99% of the time it's plugged into my big monitor and the laptop is just closed.

I have the latest drivers for it and I haven't had any luck with support from them yet

Ok, I got some images of what the problem looks like. I had to take photos of my screen while a video was playing so the quality is not great but you can see the distortion. I'm thinking that the problem might have something to do with the registry. A while back I got the program "Registry Cure" and ran it. After I used that program I gave it about a week to see if there where any negative effects on my system before I removed the backups. Unfortunately I don't run videos that often so I didn't see this problem until now. I still don't understand why it would have this distortion on videos playing from my hard drive and videos streamed over the net but not on DVDs. Anyway, here are the pics. Click on the image a second time to get a bigger picture of it

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It looks to me like the video adapter is having a hard time filling the screen fast enough that you wouldn't notice it.

First let me say I feel sorry for any unsuspecting person that uses this POS program on a Vista 64 install, because if they do they WILL be re-installing Windows. Just for giggles I installed this garbage to see what it would find (and yes I made a system backup first), and stopped it after it got to over 3500 (yes, that is a 3 and a 5 followed by two zeros). There was only one problem with that, they were ALL false positives.

Now what it would find on a 32 bit Vista is anybodies guess, and by the looks of it it managed to find and hose a few things on your system. Seeing as you deleted the saves, I hope you have System Restore enabled and a valid restore point or two from before you installed this program, and see if you can things back to normal using System Restore.

The problem is is that it's been a long time now. My restore points don't go back that far. I don't watch many videos other than DVDs which work fine so that's why it has taken me so long to notice the problem. Can Vista be installed on top of itself like previous versions of windows?

Just so you know, the distortion is only the line pointed to in the photos. All the bluring is just from taking a photo of a video.

First let me say I feel sorry for any unsuspecting person that uses this POS program on a Vista 64 install, because if they do they WILL be re-installing Windows. Just for giggles I installed this garbage to see what it would find (and yes I made a system backup first), and stopped it after it got to over 3500 (yes, that is a 3 and a 5 followed by two zeros). There was only one problem with that, they were ALL false positives.

Now what it would find on a 32 bit Vista is anybodies guess, and by the looks of it it managed to find and hose a few things on your system. Seeing as you deleted the saves, I hope you have System Restore enabled and a valid restore point or two from before you installed this program, and see if you can things back to normal using System Restore.

That's outta left field, did you mean to post this elsewhere?

That's outta left field, did you mean to post this elsewhere?

Nope,

I'm thinking that the problem might have something to do with the registry. A while back I got the program "Registry Cure" and ran it.

Which unless he means another program leads to this,

http://www.registrycure.com/

No privacy policy listed anywhere, their FAQ's and support are all email links. That and they have this affliction with affiliate programs, wouldn't surprise me if some of their "affiliates" try the drive-by download method of getting sales too.

So there is a very good possibility that that program removed something that it shouldn't have (and in my case would have made most if not all of my programs and very likely Vista itself totally unusable). Too late now but who knows what it removed that is affecting videos; could be something driver related, codec, or even a system file of some kind.

Can Vista be installed on top of itself like previous versions of windows?

Yes and no,

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-re...tall-vista.html

basically you end up doing an upgrade install.

Well, I guess I can't install vista on top of itself because the only version I have came with my computer and doesn't seem to have that capability. While it is possible that regcure is responsible for this problem I don't want to leave out any other possibilities. I mean I used regcure and have had no other negative effects from it so I'm not completely convinced that it is the problem. All other ideas are welcome