Sign in to follow this  
kalgal62

Internet slow down

We are still on dial up to get on to the internet and probably will be for as long as we live here. My connection is at 24 kb and that used to be ok but recently I noticed when I open the status box for the connection information I see that is says "compression" sent 17% and "compression" received 2%.Does anyone out there understand this and can I change it because it seems to slow things down? Thank you

We are still on dial up to get on to the internet and probably will be for as long as we live here. My connection is at 24 kb and that used to be ok but recently I noticed when I open the status box for the connection information I see that is says "compression" sent 17% and "compression" received 2%.Does anyone out there understand this and can I change it because it seems to slow things down? Thank you

I just did a reinstall of my modem/drivers setup (XP SP2). The default has software and hardware compression on. You probably do/did have something else going on. You say that the compression 'seems to slow things down'. Does this mean you have had compression off, and DLs are then faster?

My dial-up usually connects at 49.x or 50.x, with MP3/Binary downloads around 5KB/Sec.

Helps to have a rather clean line and be somewhat close to the TelCo (less than 5 miles). :tup:

I'm going to try to install an external USR modem, and hope it'll take away some memory resources that a WinSoft modem uses, which competes with all the other stuff I have running.

- Patrick

Bottom lines, "compression" mostly means increasing the speed of your basic data/word/txt etc. traffic. For example, my company sales a Compressor hardware device that thousands of companies have purchased to turn there poiint to point T1 which mainly passes strictly data back and forth into a 4.5mb connection instead of a 1.544mb connection. Companies pay big money for this, well if you consider $2,000 a unit big money, but it saves them 20 x's that considering the alternative of adding one, two, or three bonded T1's to the point to point T1 to meet their bandwidth requirements when each T1 can run around $400 a month.It will triple, at minimum, any point to point connection with a Compressor unit at each end of the circuit. Compression normally does not apply to any voice or video traffic, and on dial up the only traffic that could possibly compress, and compress with whatever week software is running on your dial up, the only possible traffic it could be compressing is your email traffic. So 17% of your sent traffic was compresses, which does not mean 17% of what you send is email, as you could send 90% all email traffic but only 17% has strictly data content. It's not slowing you down, but it's slowing the receiver down because they may not have de-compression software, there for it may take 5 x's as long to send an email that has compressed data to someone who has no compression or de-compression software, and by the time they receive it they probably lost numerous packets.

when I had dialup, part of the solution was to replace existing telephone wire with new, when possable, also make sure its a new cable from the modem to the junction box where the phone comes in. make sure you have line maintence on your phoneline. call up and say you here pops on the line. thay will check it. ask for a tech to come out and test it.

I had 2 lines, one connected at 57,600 one at 24,400 it seamd some run from the phone co itself had issues. Do not talk about modem speed, thay are not responciable about that, and you will be stuck again. pops in the line noise will get a tach out to check. thay can then possable change a few thins from their end