Change Mode

Ultra Dma Mode 5 S.m.a.r.t

Guest jdj924

When my system boots amongst the other information up I see Ultra DMA 5 S.M.A.R.T. Capable but disabled.

Can some one tell me what this means and why it would be disabled? Thanks for indulging a novice's question. :huh:

Thanks jrmcwill :tup: I found it in Bios But it warned that it could cause problems or some such scary statement! Now that I know what it is I think I can live with out it. You know how it is when you are fairly new and you think you have to have every thing, then a good deal of the time you find out you really did not need it. Sort of feeling deprived of some thing until you find out it isn't any big deal. HA HA! Again thanks for your reply.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=1

HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability

Common Options : Enabled, Disabled

Details

This feature enables or disables support for the hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. capability. S.M.A.R.T. (Self Monitoring Analysis And Reporting Technology) is supported by all current hard disks and it allows the early prediction and warning of impending hard disk disasters. You should enable it if you want to use S.M.A.R.T.-aware utilities to monitor the hard disk's condition. Enabling it also allows the monitoring of the hard disk's condition over a network.

However, there's a possibility that enabling S.M.A.R.T. may cause spontaneous reboots with networked computers. Johnathan P. Dinan reported encountering such an issue. Apparently, S.M.A.R.T. continuously sends packets of data through the network even when there's actually nothing monitoring those data packets. This may have caused the spontaneous reboots that he had experienced. Therefore, if you experience spontaneous reboots or crashes with a networked computer, try disabling this feature.

While S.M.A.R.T., at first glance, looks like a really great safety feature, it isn't really useful or necessary for most users. For S.M.A.R.T. to work, it isn't simply a matter of enabling it in the BIOS. You actually have to keep a S.M.A.R.T.-aware hardware monitoring utility running in the background all the time. This means using up some memory and processor time just to monitor S.M.A.R.T. data from the hard disk.

That's quite alright if the hard disk you are using is highly unreliable and you need advanced warning of any impending failure. However, hard disks these days are reliable enough to make S.M.A.R.T. redundant in most cases. Unless you are running mission-critical applications, it's very unlikely that S.M.A.R.T. will be of any use at all.

Please note that even if you don't use any S.M.A.R.T.-aware utility, enabling S.M.A.R.T. in the BIOS uses up some bandwidth because the hard disk will be constantly sending out data packets. So, if you do not use S.M.A.R.T.-aware utilities or if you don't need that level of real-time reporting, disable HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability for better overall performance.

Thanks x5dr for the good information. I disabled Norton disc doctor due to the fact that it used up to much resources, this sounds like a similar deal. Since I seem to have a reliable hard drive and keep my system tuned up, defraging and running scan disc weekly I don't see much use in using SMART and any related programs, especially since I am not that skilled with PC's. I am trying though and am thinking about taking some courses in the local community college. Again Thanks for the INFO.