Change Mode

Hlep with Mobo decision

having trouble deciding....i'm most concerned with stability,compatability, something rock solid. not sure which mobo is newer but i would assume the older one probably more polished by now.

Asus Rampage formula or Maximus 2 formula.

main differences appear to be P45 or X48 chipsets. my current gigabyte is P45 and having serioius issues with x1 slot recieving power for my fatality sound card on bootup, so would X48 be more solid?

i'm not sold on those 2 specific boards, but i do want my Ram fully compatable and support its ddr2 1200 but if i OC much i'd likely have to scale back to 800 or something anyway so not really sure if the price for those mobos is worth it or not.

here are the stuff i'm going to use on the mobo

OCZ FlexXCL...ddr 2 9600

Xfi fatality pcie x1 slot

single 280 nvidia

these mobo's are probably bit more pricey than what i really need, but i want a mobo thats really well built. i'm tired of these crap mobo's i get that either dont last long or compatability related problems like my last 2 Gigabyte ultra crapable mobo's...going back to good ol Asus.

Guest dwfinch

I've had my board running for the last 2 weeks now (Rampage Formula X48 chipset), and it has been rock solid for me! But the first thing I did need to do is update to the latest bios version. Tons of options in this new bios! I love it!

Guest dwfinch

I've always used ASUS boards, been very happy with them! Had a DFI once and that board was very touchy! :P

I've also heard very good remarks about the Gigabyte boards

Edited by dwfinch

sorry, not touching Gigabyte again, my last 2 boards are Gigabyte, one of which didnt last 6 months till it would lock at bios and its marketed feature of second bios never helped

well you luck might be bad.. But I would still recommend Gigabyte over Asus really..

Guest dwfinch

I will say that Miggs has much more experience than me.

I do realize that the ASUS boards have been more expensive, But as I had said, this one now is my 5th ASUS board, and the only reason I changed previously, was because I wanted to upgrade.

>>Here's<< a review by AnandTech about the ASUS Rampage Formula

Edited by dwfinch