Change Mode

Stray Cat

The Dude

My mother woke up this morning and saw a cat curled up against our living room window crying. She tried to make sure it wasn't rabid. She scooped it up and put it in the garage. She gave it some milk in a dish and went out to buy cat food. So far, the cat has eaten 2 cans of cat food and 3 dishes of milk.

We called animal control and there were no reported missing cats in the area, so they said we could keep it or bring it to them. They don't put down any cats there.

It is real friendly, but doesn't seem to be too fond of our dog. My sisters are in love with it, as is my mother. My father doesn't want it because money is too tight for another pet. We may bring it to a shelter for shots and nurse it back to health and decide what to do with it. My sisters I'm sure will never let it go now. My sisters can talk my father very easily when it come to pets or 'cute cuddly things.'

The cat is a female, and extremely thin. You can see its ribs and spine. It looks to be born a few months ago but I don't know much about cats. It seems friendly and purrs a lot. It does seem to have an issue with one of its hind legs. It limps on it and it seems to hurt the cat. I think it broke its leg and it didn't properly heal, but it is something that would have to get looked at.

Here is a picture. Right now it resides in the garage. I'm pretty sure we will know whether or not we are keeping it by this weekend.

http://s141247488.onlinehome.us/stray

Edited by The Dude

I know it's a little late for this advice, but, don't overfeed the kitten, small meals would be easier on her tummy, water is fine. Some vets offer new cat check ups for free, call around or check ads in your phonebook, even your local humane society. A kitty should be healthy before shots.

Repeat advice, when shes healthy, have her spayed. A cat can go into heat as early as 4 months old, I know this because when we spayed my "kitten", the vet told us she was already going into heat. I had no idea, I had waited until she was healthy enough for surgery. I knew her exact age, because she was one of seven kittens born to a stray we had taken in and was already pregnant, we didn't know that when we decided to nurse her back to health.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/Jo...XjrE0FxKdax.jpg

JosieBelle, the cat did eat a lot (2 cans of cat food and 3 dishes of milk) but we stopped feeding her after that, because we didn't want her to overeat. We are just leaving a dish of water. She has been doing a lot of sleeping.

We are mainly concerned about her leg. I'm not sure if it's permanently injured or if it just got injured when it was wild and it will heal. We will have it checked out when we bring it in for the shots. The cat is using the litter box we made, so maybe it was sorta domesticated?...or perhaps this is just instinct for cats?

Can anybody tell what kind of cat it is from the picture?

Thanks all. :)

Edited by The Dude

Cats arent stupid - she probably sussed you out as being a kind family and decided to stay. From the pic your new cat looks to be part tabby.

Foodwise, water is better than milk and dried crunchy food is great for their teeth. We keep a bowl of dried whiskas filled up all the time because as a general rule most cats only eat when they are hungry and then walk away. Cats are also unbelievably fussy about having clean eating and drinking bowls.

Tinned food is generally not good for their teeth and will also make their breath smell bad. Most of them like raw meat and occasionally small pieces of cooked chicken.

If you do take her to the vet dont let the vet persuade you to use a flea treatment called Frontline. Some cats are badly affected by this stuff (which is applied to the back of the neck) and it can leave a very nasty burn mark. The manufacturers of the product are aware of this side effect and choose to ignore it.

Thanks Andrew. I will make sure to watch out for the flea treatment. Thanks to the others for their advice. I think we will give her water to drink for now.

I forgot to mention.....my mother originally put out some milk in a dish on the front porch and she lapped it up. Afterwords, she meandered around our property and sat underneath our shed with her head sticking out. Then went back to the window and cried again. That's when we took her in.

Seems that once we put the milk out for her, she wasn't going to go anywhere. :)

Edited by The Dude

She's a lovely-looking (but thin) part-tabby. You have no choice now - she's adopted you :clap:

If she's been living rough for a while, she might well have been catching rodents/birds (and probably will continue to indulge in a little sport of the same in the future), then do get her wormed as well as everything else. Worms can cause all sorts of health problems, so a dose of medication every three months or so is a cheap and wise idea.

She looks like "Precious", a kitty that I picked up off the highway coming home from work several years ago. The guy I was following at about 60 mph, suddenly flung his arm out and down and when he did that, I saw a small kitty land right beside his car.....and disappear into the median. I stopped and walked back about 100 yds. and searched and searched. To no avail, finally I said "LORD, I know she's here somewhere....Here kitty, kitty" and I heard a faint "Meow", and walked right up to her, she had on a little pink collar with a tiny bell on it. I thought "What a baxxxard, to toss some little girls kitty out the window while speeding down the road.....". I took her home and she was happy, safe, and warm, with a full belly. I say keep her Dude!!

:geezer:

We are keeping her. :mrgreen:

Sisters were working on a name all day (they always name the pets).

As of now, her name is 'Sasha'. :)

Off to animal services tomorrow for shots...and the removal of a few ticks she has. They can do it all for $150. We will also get her spayed if she isn't already...but probably a little down the road when she is healthy enough.

She is already becoming more active, is starting to look healthier after just 2 days of care.

We are keeping her in the garage until the shots are taken care of. My dog is really curious of her, but is afraid. He runs away and she hisses. They will have to make amends. :boxing:

Edited by The Dude

I think the vet will call her a domestic short hair tabby, the striped pattern is tabby. We just took in an adult cat, another stray, he is also a domestic short hair tabby, but, he's a fatty, he must have a good home. I made every effort I could to find his owner, he's one mellow dude and has been neutered. I call him Stripes.

Best of luck to you and the kitty. I am a complete softy for cats. Someday I will be that weird white haired old lady with all the cats :P

I did hand raise one of the kittens, 7 was too many for Cookie ( the stray mommy), and my kitten could never get a teet to feed on. The vet told me what I needed to do. There is a product at the pet store, here it was called Tiger Milk, real milk is not recommended. It's made for calves not cats. I's a powder you mix with water, then use kitten chow, soaked in the milk mix, and leave some in a bowl along with water.

Did ya see the pic of Cookie in the basket? The little white one at the top is mine.

I have a cat named Sascha, too!!

Edited by ©JoSiEBeLLe®

I was raised in the country and we always had cats and dogs. (my dog was my ONLY friend we were so far out in the country)

I got married and my wife says no way to any animal in the house.

I mean after 29 years she still barely let's me in............

You are very kind to keep that kitty. Glad you were able.

Youve done a remarkable job

Caring for a stray cat.

It wouldve went wild and never enjoy the luxuries youve given.

After an animal goes wild its impossible to tame.

Heres a so called animal lover ....one who claim to take care of or in that fashion look after strays

An oldie T.V favourite...............

BOB BARKER

Bob Barker visited the Chicago City Council yesterday, to speak on behalf of his favorite cause: spaying and neutering pets. Greeted with a standing ovation, Barker addressed the council, calling the spay/neuter legislation a movement. “When we come to this wall which is seemingly impossible to get over, the only answer is legislation….It’s the obvious answer. …The movement for spay and neuter legislation is sweeping across this country," Barker said, pointing to Los Angeles, San Antonio and Dallas as cities that have mandated fixing pets. He also added, "Something has to be done. It's leading to just reprehensible animal suffering and it's costing a fortune for the taxpayers."

Well, I finally got some time to spend with the cat tonight. I've been very busy this week.

She is absolutely the sweetest cat. If I sit on the floor she will climb into my lap, lay there and purr. When she gets affectionate she likes to dig her claws into my legs....gets painful sometimes but I can live with it. :yikes: I don't believe in declawing cats. I've heard that stray cats sometimes turn out to be the nicest.

She follows everyone around when they walk into the garage and meows. I can tell she is craving more attention than staying in the garage, but we have to wait it out. She is getting her shots and ticks removed either this weekend or early next week. Once that is all taken care of, we will let her into the house.

Something is definitely wrong with her leg. When she sits down, her left hind leg looks different than the right. It doesn't seem to protrude from the side like the normal leg does. It almost looks like a birth defect. It looks like she may be missing some kind of bone back there. She can still run but she makes this strange limp. It doesn't really seem to be hurting her.

I'll post back what they say about her leg.

Sometimes the clawing into you is from how kittens stimulated their mothers milk, some kittys never stop. I am so happy that this has worked out for. :) If she gets too rough, walk away and don't play, she'll catch on. I have a cat we nicknamed the slasher, the one I raised, She won't let other people near her, I can't allow her around kids, because they want to pick her up and if she gets cornered, she will hurt you. She has slowly accepted my 4 year old granddaughter. But, I stay close enough to make sure I can grab the cat, just in case.......then if I have to, I put her out.

There are way too many strays, I had 13 cats when Cookie had her litter of 7. I had all the kittens spayed/neutered, we got a good deal at a local no-kill shelter, and got their first shots. We kept Cookie and 2 of the kittens, sadly one kitten went missing, it's hard when you don't know where they went or what happened. Cookie passed away in my arms, I believe she may have got into some anti-freeze. It broke my heart to feel the life leave her body. She's buried in a meadow in the mountains. My husbands mom's ashes were spread there, and she loved cats. We were down to two, then Stripes showed up, and it's my turn to take in the stray. There are two other neighbors that also take in stays and if they are not feral, we fix them, try to find a home for them or keep them ourselves. Sadly, we have had to have feral cats put to sleep.

Dude, I hope you are right about God, and I hope he would accept all life back or maybe the Buddhist belief in reincarnation........all life is sacred. That's my belief.

I do put worms on hooks when we go fishing.............but I can't put a live lobster in a pot of boiling water and I don't hunt. I used to go with my dad. He taught me how to use the rifle and a hand gun. But, on a hunting trip he shot a deer and it didn't die, and it was suffering. Those deer eyes, looking back at us, I will never forget, so, while I stood there with my dad, he put the deer down. After that he lost his stomach for hunting, he was just too much of an animal lover. It was one of only 2 time I ever saw him cry. I hope you don't mind my story in your thread. My dad is gone now , but, he lives in my love of nature and life.

Pet's are remarkable companions, I have been on be rest this week and the dog, Shadow (black lab) won't leave my side. He never used to come in my room.(Cat territory) It's like he senses something is wrong. My kitten, she's 8 years old now, Sapphire is her name, she has deep blue eyes. She stays with me when I have to stay in bed. She walks all over my key board, and when I write in my journal she wants the pen. Seems whenever I put something on my lap, she wants my lap.

I am not sick, I have a chronic pain condition, that can get pretty severe and the pets love me, they don't care if your hair is a mess. Pets love you unconditionally.

Have you found out her age, the vet can tell you by her teeth at this age? Please post more pics and updates. I am so grateful that you and your family were able to keep her. Kittens are frisky, and a few scratches are normal. It's only if she gets too rough that you should put her down an refuse to play anymore.

Edit my spelling as usual

Edited by ©JoSiEBeLLe®

they don't care if your hair is a mess. Pets love you unconditionally.

Spot on, JoSiEBeLLe. pets can be the greatest and most undemanding company :)

Take the padding with claws out as a compliment, The Dude, as long as it's not too painful!. It shows affection and feeling very comfortable with you. Declawing is cruel and unnecessary, but I do clip the very end (just a mm or so) of the front claws of a couple of my cats from time to time (the vet can show you the technique). The effect doesn't last too long though, I must say!

Edited by SL10

I finally got around to take some pictures with a real camera. I was tinkering with my car all morning and I guess she was tired after watching to make sure I didn't do anything dumb. :P

Cat 1

Cat 2

Cat 3

Cat 4

Cat 5

Right now I call her 'cat' because the females in the house have yet to settle on a name. :rolleyes:

JosieBelle; I've always liked dogs/cats because they are simple creatures. If you play with them, feed them and befriend them, they will be loyal no matter what. I've been more of a dog person for these reasons, but this cat acts like a dog. It loves attention/affection. I am really starting to like this cat. :)

Edited by The Dude

Thanks for posting the pics, she's a cutie. She looks old enough for dry food. May I suggest a name?

Poppet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppet

As for being a mouser....When we bought our house, the former owner had left their garbage in the back yard and we had lots of mice. It didn't take too long for the cats to whittle them down, and don't be too surprised if she brings in a dead mouse in as a gift. Some cats also like small birds, and may bring them in....sometimes still alive, if the bird in not injured, release it away from your house. If it's in bad shape, the bird will die, I hate to see them suffer, follow your conscious. Cats are natural hunters. Even well fed cats will hunt.

Just take the dead mouse/bird and wrap it up and get rid of it. If they are small enough, I flush them down the throne. Any way you get rid of the mouse/bird is fine, they have fleas and may carry diseases. Wash your hands after you're finished.

Make sure she gets all of her shots. My vet said cats have good instincts, and a high tolerance to diseases, rabies is uncommon in cats, but, play it safe, get the shots the vet recommends for your area and make sure she is protected against fleas. I know someone already brought that up.

http://www.purina.com/cats/index.aspx

About rabies, I found this information at: http://peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2134&aid=346

The transmission of the disease almost always occurs as a result of an infected animal biting a non-infected animal. There have been a few reported cases of infection resulting from aerosolization occurring in caves where large quantities of infected bats reside. Rabies virus does not live very long outside the host and remains viable in the carcass of an infected animal for less than 24 hours. The rabies virus is shed at high levels in saliva. However, being bitten by a rabid animal does not necessarily mean that the bitten animal (or human) will become infected. It has been speculated, that only around 15% of exposed people will contract the disease. Humans, cats, and dogs are only mildly susceptible to the disease unlike skunks, raccoons, foxes, and bats that are much more susceptible to the virus.

There are several sites that are about cat care. I hope you enjoy many years with "Cat"

I had a cat that looked just like that. His name was Casper and he was a bit cross-eyed. Very friendly cat... BIG cat... that thought he was still a kitten. I miss my two cats... had to move to an apartment and to get cats is ungodly expensive then all the reg and such i have to do since im in the city now. Gosh i miss small towns.

The cat went to the vet today.

The vet estimated the cat to be anywhere from 7 months to a year old. It got all its shots.

He said it's leg problem is either a sprain or Lyme disease. If the cat is still limping in a week, they will take blood to check. She did have a few ticks when we found her so it's possible. I originally thought she had a birth defect, but he said she is just tucking her leg in because I guess it is tender. It got some flea cream on its back just in case.

He couldn't tell if she was fixed or not, but we will have to wait and see if it goes into heat. Then we will know for sure.

Otherwise, despite her weight of only 5 pounds she is healthy...and he commented that she has a great nature to her....very calm and people friendly. She has already visually gained weight since we got her. She eats like a horse.

She is now living in the house, instead of the garage. She originally waited at the door to go back into the garage but she has settled down now. We got her some cat stuff like a bed, and a few toys. She goes flat out crazy for catnip.

Edited by The Dude