Change Mode

right now i got what my sig says (a pentium 4 HT 3.0) well pretty much the only game i play is WoW and MAYBE some other games but mostly WoW well i have MAX settings with my Wow every is turned up and i get around (becuase of the new patch) about 40-60FPS maybe a little less well i was wondndering if i should up my pross and get a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116069 will i see a big different in my FPS ( my card is a 8800GT OC) and should i see my computer starting faster with my windows vista? (even though my Computer starts up pretty fast) Unless someone wants to get rid of a Pentium D for cheaper =) ill buy it off you or any Duel core

Edited by IceBear
Guest dwfinch

For gaming in general you want a cpu with higher GHz not lower. So I don't think that 2GHz Celeron will help, it may even hurt?

But I don't game online, I'm sure someone who does will be by to answer your question!

that celeron will hurt... probably cripple you. a pent D will do a bit better, but will see it's biggest increase w/ multi-tasking.

as far as wow goes, your setup is better than mine and is getting the same frame rates.... SO, i think you're fine. my fps in :filtered: drop to like 30, but everything usually sits at 60, so i'm thinking maybe a fps cap... dunno.

but for wow, i wouldn't change anything as i highly DOUBT you'll see any increase in performance. to get that you'll need a new board likely and to get a new conroe or better chip.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116072 so if i was to get this one i wouldent really see a huge FPS change? should i just stick with the CPU i allready have? i upgrade my MB allready and it suports Quads and duel cores so i think im good i got my P4 to 4.0 but its a little on the hot side so in all should i just get that pentium Duel core or just get a Aftermarket Heatskink and stick with my P4 ?

Dude, how many times do I have to remind you that thge Pentium 4 architecture sucks. There are far more efficient designs, such as ANYTHING Core 2, anything not a Pentium 4, and everything beside the Pentium 4.

A Pentium 4 dual-core at 4Ghz can't even compete with an FX60, which is easily trounced by a whole lot of Core 2 processors. E6600, E6700, E6800, e5200, e7200, e8400, e8500, e6400, e6x20 series, and those are just dual core processors. With the quad cores, the list gets even bigger.

Also, if you're getting 40-60FPS with your P4, upgrading your processor won't do much for your framerates. And by that, I mean that you most likely won't notice the performance increase unless you actively seek it out.

well it just i dont have the money to swtich over to AMD and i like the MB i got =( and i dont have the money for a quad or a core2duo and pretty much the only game i play is WoW and i heard that game dont even need a quad core just a simple Duel core and yea i get about 40-60 fps but i heard that the pentium 4 is bottle necking my 8800GT and if i was to get a duel core any thing that my FPs will go up even more and my computer would be faster

Guest dwfinch

Why don't you just get a better video card? The 9800GTX's are pretty cheap right now at New Egg!

Maybe some tweaking of your internet connection would help? I just gave a buddy of mine a card that was maid for online gaming, I forget what it was called, but it used a driver called a "Killer" driver, and the card is set up for optimizing online gaming.

New Egg also has a sale on G Skill (1Gbx2)DDR2 1066 memory, and that may help you out!

Edited by dwfinch
Guest dwfinch

I'm really not an expert on online gaming!

But, I would think that you'd need 3 things

1-a high GHz cpu #GHz or more

2-a fast internet connection.

3-a good video card

Also as I had said earlier, New Egg has a sale on(1Gb x 2) G Skill DDR2 1066 Dual channel kit, for about $46.00

Thats what I'm using now, and it is fast!

Still yet, you should take the advice of those how do game online!

If your upgrading to the E6750 2.28GHZ, you should be able to get some great performance from that cpu! But still I like the one that Miggs suggested!

Edited by dwfinch

so your saying stick with the pentium 4 and just get a 9800GTX? hmm i thought my 8800GT would of been good enough for WoW =/

It is good enough for WoW Icebear. I really don't see the point of you starting a thread asking about what new hardware you should get, and then ignoring everyone trying to suggest getting the hell away from a P4.

Get the damn Core 2. Any model Core 2 Duo will destroy your Pentium 4 in everything. Settle on it, listen to the people giving you good advice, and order the damn thing.

/rant.

Edited by brandon

Perhaps I should have rephrased my post. Higher Ghz doesn't mean squat in a processor anymore. Core 2 is a very efficient architecture, as compared to the Pentium 4. An e6400 would beat a 4Ghz Pentium 4 dual-core in everything, and it's a low-end Core 2 Duo processor.

yeah... upgrade the processor. IMO 40-60fps is about as good as you can get. only when it gets to 30-35fps will you notice the change.. anything higher is just there.

CPU change will benefit the entire computer, power and over all processing speed.