Researchers expect hackers to prey on cell phones

This is one of the reasons I won't buy a smartphone. I prefer my cellphone to make calls, not get overtaken by a virus because of the surprising amount of power they manage to pack into mobile phones nowadays.

If I need to send an email, I'll use a laptop with either a heavily locked down install of Windows, or Linux. That way there is little to worry about in the way of viruses, and a laptop is far more functional.

Yes it will. ;)

There have already been cell phone viruses.

In years past when dial up was common, there were computer viruses that would dial 900 numbers. That of course would be one of the main goals of any self respecting script kiddie for cell phones.

Of course the easiest targets will be first, that would be the ones known to have gaping security holes. Windows Mobile :P

Yes it will. ;)

There have already been cell phone viruses.

In years past when dial up was common, there were computer viruses that would dial 900 numbers. That of course would be one of the main goals of any self respecting script kiddie for cell phones.

Of course the easiest targets will be first, that would be the ones known to have gaping security holes. Windows Mobile :P

i just excluded windows in my comment.

edit : winblows bobo :lol:

Edited by duanester

i think the cell phones these day or at least the ones i have used been extremely secure, not just viruses, they are designed to keep my from using my own ring tones, the operating systems are just impeccably secure.

The first virus appeared in 2004 according to this page http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone-virus.htm

This has been possible, and has been happening for many years now, as Jacee quoted, that was the 1st bluetooth virus brought out, but unlike other infections it was non destructive, they brought it out to prove a point, as everyone was saying how safe\secure mobiles were, a group set about proving that statement to be false, this was a self sending virus that used bluetooth to spread, often the first someone knew they were infected was their battery was flattening in a matter of hours, as the virus was in constant search for other bluetooth devices.

A mate of mine actually got hit by that virus, the shop said there was no cure and the phone would need to be re flashed to cure it, so he asked me and I said I would sort it easy, took me about 3 minutes to sort it out, the shop tried to tell him it was new, but at the time he got hit this was around 1 year old, so there is some major ignorance out there in the area, I personally predict assassinations via bluetooth one day, because with cars becoming more computerised and including bluetooth as standard, it isn't a massive leap to picture someone sending a virus to a car via bluetooth that will cause the car to crash, we are not quite there yet, but the technology already exists to do it.

But TBH it's no different than a PC, people just need to be educated and aware of such things, top end phones sometimes include an anti virus as standard, other phones can have an anti virus installed easily, F Secure are at the top in that market AFAIK, thats what I used to remove the virus my mate got, but as usual it's a learning curve for people as they understand about these things.

September 11, 2008

As cell phones and smartphones become more sophisticated, wireless consumers have increasingly used removable Secure Digital, or SD, cards to load music, videos, and documents.

But the SD Card Association announced it will enter the embedded storage market in November, and it rolled out a standard for these storage devices Thursday

http://www.informationweek.com/news/securi...cleID=210601204

Well phones are getting bigger and more powerful, my N95 has 8gig of storage, the new N96 has 16gig of storage, considering my 1st PC which was a top model in it's day only had 512mb of storage lol, it wont be long before we can stick a PC in our back pockets to carry it around.

But I still don't understand how people get caught out, I had a bloke try to bluejack me a few times, wasn't anything nasty, I knew him and he was just having a laugh, but he never managed to do it, so how others get caught I just don't understand.

that era is over, so maybe they could send a message via bluetooth or even get information or worse when file transfer protocols are enabled, phones these days are easy to secure, service providers look for flaws and improvements on a daily basis, these operating system are very small and unlike your desktop os the vulnerabilities are far less and can be corrected probably the same day.

its just not worth the aggravation attempting to crack a phone, though i cannot comment about windows mobile :lol:

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic guys. I use my N95 for all my media needs and as a former PC user. I was aware of the potential threat. I tried a few symbian AV's and finally settled for F-Secure which gives me full security auto updated and a fully configurable firewall. I estimate the chance of attack is less than that of linux attacks, however,forwarned is forarmed.