Sign in to follow this  
cL1cKm3.exe

No audio device after shutdown

vista x64.

recently got x-fi fatility pro pci-e

install latest fatality drivers, works great. i can reboot all i want and still works fine

however, if i click shutdown, then boot back on, i suddenly have no audio device installed.

i have to manually remove the driver and reinstall it.

what is happening during shutdown that doesnt happen when rebooting?

i cant figure this out for nothing and is driving me nuts

please help

Edited by cL1cKm3.exe

ahh, i will try to make it quick and painless clickerexe, go in your bios and disable onboard sound because windows is changing the preferred device from pci to onboard when you restart, disabling onboard will prevent it from happening again :)

edit: hope that it helps because if it doesn't it is a driver issue and only an update can help.

Edited by duanester

onboard sound is disabled. not my first sound card rodeo :)

there is no sound properties. only says no hardware audio device.

i first must uninstall the driver....then windows default driver works and i have sound. i just dont have the advanced stuff i otherwise do

there is no further update. I tried latest beta. latest WHQL. and then i tried the previous version that came on CD with the card.

Rebooting works fine....its when i shutdown is when the problem occurs. so i dont quite get what is different between them? AFAIK, pressing reboot or shutdown would cause the OS to do the same things except call to come back on right?

lets go to the driver properties before rebooting, lets look at some settings to see if the device is working properly.

also when installing the sound card driver did you hit cancel when windows detects the device ?

i am starting to think the driver cache is corrupted, tell me' do you have any trouble with usb devices not being detected properly when plugged back in ?

if not test it, unplug a device and reboot, now plug in the device and let us know what happens .

windows didnt detect the device..its like theres no hardware installed unless i uninstall the creative driver...then windows has its own driver and i have sound.

if its a corruption...then how come reboot doesnt cause it but shutdown does? odd

i did figure out a solution that seems to work just as well.

after removing creatives driver again, i simply kept the windows default driver version. then i installed the creative console launcher application...this let me do all the extra stuff like EAX, EQ...etc

and seems to work just as good.

still wouldnt mind knowing the exact cause, but may never know. could be just crap drivers from creative cause theres alot of complaints about them since vista's release

thanks for the help duanester

doing the usb device test i suggested would be the only real way to no its corrupted.

i do agree the driver is crap :tup:

yes USB works fine, that is i can plug and unlplug my usb Hardrive.

i thought i found the solution but seems all i did was narrow down the problem. so i guess what driver i use doesnt matter.

its definitly shutdown procedure. i thought it was working fine but realize now on the first turn on after a shutdown, the problem occurs, if i reboot, its fixed and is fine until i run shutdown

makes no sense really

how can i flush the driver cache duanester? i'll try it and see what occurs.

though this is a fresh install.

i'm going to google around and see what differences are going on between shutdown and reboot procedures, the answer is in that i think.

here is the thing, i found something that fixed problems for removable devices, i do not know if it will help or if it has any relation to pci controlled devices, i am not certain.

http://pmhesse.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to...iver-cache.html

if you decide to try it be sure to create a restore point first to undo any changes !

here is the thing, i found something that fixed problems for removable devices, i do not know if it will help or if it has any relation to pci controlled devices, i am not certain.

http://pmhesse.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to...iver-cache.html

if you decide to try it be sure to create a restore point first to undo any changes !

let me try a couple pics, maybe it will help.

the first pic is me trying the link you sent me for the batch file, says error cant find files or such if you cant read it but lastly says successfully moved files to backup. havnt rebooted yet so i'll edit this if it works

second pic is of what i'm seeing after a shutdown. but once i reboot it from there its fine....makes no sense

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/3171/dw...08331616nx3.jpg

Posted ImagePosted Image

http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=d...08355197vm2.jpg

Posted ImagePosted Image

well creatives support is really ticking me off.

this is my latest response......any suggestions on how i should better explain my problem so they wont send me vague copy and pasted responses?

i thought i explained it well in this quote but then they tell me to uninstall/reinstall or try another slot. its like their not even reading it...wishing i kept the reciept and box now.

unsatisfied with previous response, i'll clarify my problem precisely.

installed latest driver. whenever i reboot it works fine. its ONLY when i SHUTDOWN the PC and then start it up, i recieve "No audio device installed"

however, if i reboot then it works fine, always does on reboots but not after shuttingdown. seems very odd and i dont know whats different between the 2 but after that shutdown its as if there is no hardware installed at all.

i have ALREADY read the entire knowledgbase article about "no audio devices" and is not the problem. i have windows audio service running. i have tried reinstalling the driver....many times.

i have tried reinstalling the OS and then installed driver with nothing else and it still occurs after a shutdown. i must then reboot to make it work....very annoying.

i have also tried previous version driver. i have moved card to another pci-e slot. i only have 2 that i can use.

a more technical answer or suggestion would be appreciated, please dont respond with suggestions of things that i just mentioned i already tried