Change Mode

I've been out of the game for a while so I'd like your opinion on what I've picked out to be my new rig.

*****************************************************************************************

Things I'm replacing:

(Current -> Upgrade)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0 Ghz 2MB L2 Cache -> Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe -> ASUS P5N-D

Video Card: GeForce 8800GTS 320MB -> GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB

Hard Drive: 1TB (4x250GB in RAID0) Western Digital SATA 3.0Gb/s (Considering getting a single 1TB drive to reduce heat/power issues)

Things I'm not replacing:

Memory: 4GB G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

PSU: 600W ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected])

DVD Burner

Blu-ray Player

Floppy Drive

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

*****************************************************************************************

As you can see I'm switching from AMD to Intel and I it's my first Intel processor :wub: so I'm not quite sure what motherboard would complement it best. I picked an nVidia motherboard so I can use an SLI setup down the road if I so choose. (However, I doubt I actually will) But I've read that those chipsets may not be the best for Intel CPUs. The board did get an overall decent review and seems to sell well, but I don't know if there are any better alternatives for roughly the same price.

I also seem to be getting some heat/power issues with my current rig. According to a few PSU calculators, 600 watts should be just enough for what I have. However, I occasionally BSOD when I run my rig at maximum. (Happens really often if the fan on my PSU is turned down) I don't know if its because my rig isn't getting enough juice or because it has bad ventilation and is overheating. (My 4 HHDs are a prime suspect for this) I'm just wondering if going from 4 x 250GB HDD in RAID0 to 1 1TB HHD will be a big loss in preformance.

If you catch anything wrong with my rig, or see a better alternative, please let me know!

Edited by Tab120

nVidia motherboards aren't the best, and with the stomping AMD is giving nVidia's video cards now, nVidia isn't a very good choice. And yes, moving from 4 HDs to 1 can result in a performance loss. Whether it is noticeable or not, however, is subjective.

The 4850 is a much better buy than the 9800GTX.

Edited by brandon

nVidia motherboards aren't the best, and with the stomping AMD is giving nVidia's video cards now, nVidia isn't a very good choice. And yes, moving from 4 HDs to 1 can result in a performance loss. Whether it is noticeable or not, however, is subjective.

The 4850 is a much better buy than the 9800GTX.

Ya use ATI is cheaper and alittle better. not driver wise. but ati is getting there.

Edited by Vyses1

Im going to Ignore brandons comment. he never has anything good to say about anybody.

first dont start an argument. second driver issues is whats holdings cards like 4870 X2 back. When i first got my card only 1 gpu on it worked. (Due to drivers). ATI's driovers have been 100x more sensitive than any nvidia driver I have ever used. and this is my probably 10th computer. Why would you even argue that?

Edited by Vyses1

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. If all I had to say was bad things, I would have been gone long ago. But, to your dismay I'm sure, I am still here.

I've never had troubles with AMD's drivers, ever since Catalyst. And the only way only one of your GPUs works is if you either intentionally disable Crossfire, or disable Catalyst AI, which disables Crossfire. I'm not going to say AMD's drivers don't have any issues, but it seems more like an issue on your end, rather than the driver's, or maybe even a bad card.

Take a look back to 2006, when Vista was first released. A huge percentage of the total reported BSODs/crashes/whatever were from nVidia drivers. AMD's drivers were a lot more reliable.

It's getting old, the whole AMD's drivers aren't as good as nVidia's & vice-versa. They're both pretty much equal in reliability, feature set, and the like.

Give this thread a read: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...p;enterthread=y

Im going to Ignore brandons comment. he never has anything good to say about anybody.

first dont start an argument. second driver issues is whats holdings cards like 4870 X2 back. When i first got my card only 1 gpu on it worked. (Due to drivers). ATI's driovers have been 100x more sensitive than any nvidia driver I have ever used. and this is my probably 10th computer. Why would you even argue that?

Before you say something stupid, think twice.. Brandon is a nice fellow.. Treat him well, and he will do the same to you.

And I agree, Catalyst have been a nice set of drivers, I don't think you read much Vyes, you should see how many people had issues with GTX280 drivers. Hek didn't you know ATI released drivers every month, because they have issues, but they fix them as soon as they get discovered, I haven't seen nvidia come out with drivers every month, I wonder if they even give a damn about people.

Before you say something stupid, think twice.. Brandon is a nice fellow.. Treat him well, and he will do the same to you.

And I agree, Catalyst have been a nice set of drivers, I don't think you read much Vyes, you should see how many people had issues with GTX280 drivers. Hek didn't you know ATI released drivers every month, because they have issues, but they fix them as soon as they get discovered, I haven't seen nvidia come out with drivers every month, I wonder if they even give a damn about people.

guess you musta missed the part where he made a mockery of my first post. he shouldnt be picking on me.

im a friendly guy. but i dont need people laughing at me.

Edited by Vyses1

Hello Vyses, my name is brandon, the resident AMD Fanboy. Pleased to make your acquaintance.

Where did I make a mockey of you Vyses? Trust me, before I was employed, the only thing that I had to do was read, and read, and read, and read. I've done my homework on both AMD, and nVidia. I've read forum topics, done research myself, and read a great many articles on both companies, their products, and their drivers, so I'd say I'm relatively well informed in that area. Informed enough to know that your mileage may vary, but if you're having an issue with a video card from AMD, or nVidia, it's most likely not the drivers, but the hardware itself, that is, unless you live in 2006. ;)

El Kido was laughing at my post Vyses. Did you not see the (I know you're not laughing at mine) bit? I meant that in a "matter of fact way" Sort of like "Oh no you just did not", or other way of expressing something in jest.

Of course, you haven't been here very long, so you don't know much about me, but if someone make a statement that I view as false, I am going to say something about it, regardless of what the person may think, feel, or know. I've had my errors pointed out, and I point out the errors of others. It's just what I do, I'm brutally honest. That's probably why I've been single for over a year.

Miggs: You of all people should know that I'm not that nice. :P

Tab: Your system is going to kick (slang term for a donkey). How's that for getting around word filters?

Edited by brandon

Drivers part, brandon was right. Have you seen how stable they are compared to nvidia? He made a good point at the vista part.

Other then a few bugs that us performance users only see, the average user gets nothing but a stable driver. If each driver puts out more performance, then they are working hard on them. I rarely see Nvidia improvements. Just new drivers thats it. And they take glitches out of games that ATI doesnt have. most of the time.

Brandon is just sarcastic and gets to the point in a different method. bringing the forum to life and some personality to it.

If we were all serious we would be like Miggs. :mrgreen: jk miggs.

he rarely gives a bs answer but does curve his answers. Thats all. He isnt being rude. Not like Death atleast. :tup:

Miggs: You of all people should know that I'm not that nice. :P

Yah right brandon, when were you nice ... gah I can't take more :rofl2::lol::P ..

I just hate when people talk crap about you, I used to, but you must have noticed I haven't for about year plus now, coz' I researched little bits, and notices what you were saying wasn't BS it made total sense.

... .... ..... :shifty:

Honestly i havent read much on the gtx 280 but since i got this build up and runnin i been through the mill with ati drivers. you really dont understand how many wasted nights of adjusting my computer. to find the next morning i gott a uninstall and use dc pro and start from scratch i actually finally said F it and switched back to Vista ulimate 64 and wam no problems ati drivers are solid in vista. in xp the only driver i could get working fuinctionally was 8.8 everything else either failed to install or never enabled the second gpu even in benchmarks. on a side note i attribute my problems with this perticular card. As you dont own a 4870 x2 and there fairly new i think I have the right to say in the past 2 months the 4870 x2 has had problems and they are driver side.

and i have read alot oabout the card i got and alot of people have my same problems it isnt isolated at all. I read somewhere that the 4870 x2 was pushed out like a month before drivers were fully compatable and they been workin on and gettin better every catalyst release.

Im still waiting on ati to fix the bug that every 4870 x2 has in crysis .. white dots in tree's etc all over when you crank aa to 8 and enthusiast. which is usually failing ram on the card but this has been recognized as a driver issue. since in all the tech forums everyone is reporting the same glitchs. even rmaing cards just to play crysis with the same results.

Edited by Vyses1

I'll tell you, almost everybody I know off got their card running in very good condition, drivers are working very well for them also.. they are some who the only prob they are having is with setting fan speeds. Out of 100%, only 10% are left to still resolve their issues, 5% of them are able to resolve their problems daily without any troubles. Out of those 5% some people who fail to follow proper instructions, have to argue on every point, they ask for help/advice but fail to listen to it.. you are out of those dumb people who don't wanna resolve their issues, and keep complaining daily.

If you want help start a thread, and when people advice something, listen to what they say, even if you have tried it many times.

Edited by miggs78

Well vyses, I think the issue is just XP. My issues went away after I went to Vista. Its the Aged OS> I had spent hours of my time fiddling with the 3870X2 and almost killed myself.

I think it isnt the cards fault, or the Drivers. Its the OS. :cr@sh:

Wt heck is your problem miggs you got a problem? why are you talking trash to me? get a life dude. all i been gettin is hate from you. stop being a troll

I always take advice. el kido taught me how to set my ram. flewpast has given me loads of advice. i been coming here for more than a few years. i just keep misplacing my names and they get deleted. Stop trying to talk down on me bro you sound stupid when you do.

Edited by Vyses1

Guys lets take it easy. Remember we are on the same team.

Miggs just got a little aggrevated when you tempered up at Brandon. Thats all. Miggs, Vyses, Brandon. We are all on the same team and no need to be rude to each other over a video card driver :P

We are taking each other to literal. No more. Ok guys? :surrender:

I dont know what was said because there have been some edited posts ... and i do not want them repeated

but all we can do is give advice regardless if someone decides to follow it or not

the name calling had better stop now

I'll stop my part, if Vyes stops his... If he will stop calling people bad like he did to brandon.. I know brandon is done with this, I would be too, if he promises to stop that nonsense.

I'll stop my part, if Vyes stops his... If he will stop calling people bad like he did to brandon.. I know brandon is done with this, I would be too, if he promises to stop that nonsense.

:boxing: You sound like a kid. (mommy ill stop when he does!) on the real miggs im done. Keep ur nose out my buisness, brandons a big boy thanks!

last i checked nobody was twisting your arm to defend brandons honor. i think your over extending yourself. you should worry more about you than brandon.

also dont sit and call me the stupid percent. who are you? i read everything you really need some social skills

And im forever ending this.

I edited it cause i realised im just encouraging more outbursts from him. I can control my temper. cant say the same for him.

Edited by Vyses1