Change Mode

Hello!

I was sent here from the safernetworking forums. The conclusion I have reached is there is something terribly wrong with my DNS settings in my computer. I can get to web sites using their IP addresses in the address bar just fine. For example, when I type www.google.com nothing comes up, it says DNS error. When I type http://72.14.207.99/ in the address bar it comes up as google, just fine. If there is anyone that can help me It would be much appreciated.

I have already tried the ipconfig flush dns thing quite a few times. But I will give it a shot once again. Yes I am behind a router. The computer I am using to write this on this forum is connected to this router, along with another one in the house that works just fine. The other computer is the only one that does not work.

So far I have tried :

Flushing DNS

Resetting router

configuring router's DNS settings with that of my ISP's.

I have been in internet explorer countless times trying to set the DNS settings to make it work, but nothing helps

numerous other attempts that have amounted to nothing.

yes this is a new problem. I took the computer apart about a week ago to build a new comp desk, and when I set everything back up this all started happening.

I guess this is important. I type in googles ip address and it works, so I just took that and ran with it. But I tried a couple other IP addresses and they don't quite work. But maybe because google is a very simple website with nothing more added? I don't know. Any help appreciated again, thanks!

try this

go to control panel then network connections, right click on your network connection select properties, select internet protocol TCP/IP and click properties. make sure obtain an ip address and dns server automatically are both checked.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope its not too late for this post, but try d/l'ing and installing Winsockfix.exe from www.MajorGeeks.com. This usually fixes most connection errors you get, such as after removing devices or programs, by replacing the default Windows TCP/IP registry files and settings.