Sign in to follow this  
aceshigh

Defrag problem

Hi..

I run DiskMD 2 and it shows my restore points badly fragmented, I know now that in Vista Disk MD does not fix this so I turned off System restore on all drives and rebooted. The restore points are still there when I run Disk MD2 ?

I then went to Disk clean up and clicked on More options and down to the System restore and shadow copies section. I clicked on "clean up". A pop up box asked to confirm the delete so I did.

I rebooted and ran DiskMD2 again and the same fragmented restore points in System volume are still there !!! why. They wont delete?????

I have Vista Home prem. 32 bit

Sp1

E8500 3.16

4 Gb ram

9800GTX+

Sata2 500 GB drive

:wp:

To see if it is in the Vista restore points as suspected, can you turn off Windows System Restore, then run a new OverDrive test and post the results before turning System Restore back on (and manually creating a new restore point).

If you haven't done that before, this may help:

Go to Start>Right click on Computer>Properties>System Protection>Uncheck the the Local Disk C>click 'apply'.

Reboot, defrag, and then go back to System Protection, recheck the Local Disk Box and choose to create a restore point.

:wp:

To see if it is in the Vista restore points as suspected, can you turn off Windows System Restore, then run a new OverDrive test and post the results before turning System Restore back on (and manually creating a new restore point).

If you haven't done that before, this may help:

Go to Start>Right click on Computer>Properties>System Protection>Uncheck the the Local Disk C>click 'apply'.

Reboot, defrag, and then go back to System Protection, recheck the Local Disk Box and choose to create a restore point.

----------------------------------

Ok System restore is off.

Ran the overdrive test and received all checkered flags for all except a few tracking cookies.

Top 10% overall. Disk Top 9%

Not sure how to post here the full results?

Now about to reboot and turn restore back on with one new restore point.

back later with results.

----------------------------------

Ok System restore is off.

Ran the overdrive test and received all checkered flags for all except a few tracking cookies.

Top 10% overall. Disk Top 9%

Now about to reboot and turn restore back on with one new restore point.

back later with results.

-------------------------------------------

With System restore turned off and Disk cleanup "more options" system restore and shadow copies.

I still get restore files shown in DiskMD2. See the screenshot below. Why cant i get rid of these restore points, they should be gone ???

http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1222983392.jpg

Just copy and paste the URL from the Recommended Fixes page.

Did you defrag with System Restore off?

Just copy and paste the URL from the Recommended Fixes page.

Did you defrag with System Restore off?

Yes I defragged with the System restore off.

The screenshot from the last post was after the defrag, it shows the restore files still there?

I cannot seem to delte them no matter what I do?

My overdrive url is:

Overdrive results

the defrag test says Not tested ??

Edited by aceshigh

the defrag test says Not tested ??

That's for Drive E. Only Drive C is checked and it is showing only 3%, not enough to trigger a recommended fix. Although DiskMD is reporting the fragmentation, it only looks to be a single fragment in those files.

To get rid of them altogether, you can try shutting off systerm restore, rebooting, running Windows Disk Cleanup, rebooting, etc.

That's for Drive E. Only Drive C is checked and it is showing only 3%, not enough to trigger a recommended fix. Although DiskMD is reporting the fragmentation, it only looks to be a single fragment in those files.

To get rid of them altogether, you can try shutting off systerm restore, rebooting, running Windows Disk Cleanup, rebooting, etc.

Oh my god !! Did you even read my very first post ? The very first post that started this topic !

I already said that I turned the sytem restore off and run disk cleanup but the restore files are still there.

still shown in MD2. Now im repeating myself.

My original post, found at the very top of this topic and you mus thave read?

-----------------------------------

Hi..

I run DiskMD 2 and it shows my restore points badly fragmented, I know now that in Vista Disk MD does not fix this so I turned off System restore on all drives and rebooted. The restore points are still there when I run Disk MD2 ?

I then went to Disk clean up and clicked on More options and down to the System restore and shadow copies section. I clicked on "clean up". A pop up box asked to confirm the delete so I did.

I rebooted and ran DiskMD2 again and the same fragmented restore points in System volume are still there !!! why. They wont delete?????

--------------------------------------

be faster if I just formatted, come on guys you must get better this ! this no support if the user has to repeat themselves !!!!!

thats frustrating and annoying !!

This is not a DiskMD issue. Neither deleting files nor defragging Vista restore points is a function of DiskMD.

You may want to post your problem in user to user help.

I doubt if I will be buying your products anymore. Have all your products, first time for rude support.

You failed to read the my entire first post. Get me frustrated, give no explanation to why you made me repeat myself and when I tell you this you "cop out" by posting the info shown below than lock the topic.

Thats poor... Please read topics completly before posting a reply and you wont annoy paid product users.

oh well. Have a nice day. I wont be back. :(

----------------------

you wrote:

This is not a DiskMD issue. Neither deleting files nor defragging Vista restore points is a function of DiskMD.

You may want to post your problem in user to user help.

------------------------