Change Mode

Looking for a mid ranged GPU

I was in need of some advice on a new video card. Right now I have an ATI x550. Yet I can run FEAR on high it artifacts.

I am looking to spend around 150 bucks. Kids birthday is coming up lol. Is there anything for that price that is descent?

My system specs are AMD 6000+ 4 360gb HD's in raid 0, 2 gigs of ballistix pc 800.

EDIT: Not looking for a power house as my psu is only 650 watts. I know I will have to upgrade one day but not till after christmas..

Edited by lugnut

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130397

Best for the price IMO.

Brandon will say this tho

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102770

Im Evga Nvidia fanboy...and ive never had a problem. that and Evga warrenties OC... so if you kill it... get another one :)

Due to nature of the 4800 series chips Youd rather push the hot air outside your case, instead of Re circulating already hot air using the other heatsinks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161244 about 20 more than you want. (with mail in rebate 179.99 BUT This setup pushes heat out of the case instead of onto your mobo and other components =)

keep in mind heat kills electronics especially weathered ones.

If thats too pricey than that sapphire is a good deal.

You can get a really good 3800 Series card for much cheaper with the thermal solution you want.

Like http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2349 but keep in mind 4800 series brings some unique features to the table. in the end its up to you =) + if you oc that 3800 card it will compete with the 8800GTX + the ati card will save you alittle on your power bill compared to the nvidia =P

My 2 cents

Edited by Vyses1

Have a look at this thread.. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=160988

Lots of good suggestions.

edit: Vyes.. do you know an 8800gtx will destroy any 3870 card (not X2 though).. Throw anything at it, it will destroy it, the 3870 wasn't a very good card, imo even a 9800GT is better.

Edited by miggs78

Have a look at this thread.. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=160988

Lots of good suggestions.

edit: Vyes.. do you know an 8800gtx will destroy any 3870 card (not X2 though).. Throw anything at it, it will destroy it, the 3870 wasn't a very good card, imo even a 9800GT is better.

My friend just got one and got the ram clocked to 2600 and it was runnin crazy! maybe they tinkered with it recently cause that exact card is doin pretty good from what i have seen

My friend just got one and got the ram clocked to 2600 and it was runnin crazy! maybe they tinkered with it recently cause that exact card is doin pretty good from what i have seen

If you say a 3870 Crossfire beating a 8800gtx, but I won't believe any 3870 overclocked can beat an 8800gtx.

If you say a 3870 Crossfire beating a 8800gtx, but I won't believe any 3870 overclocked can beat an 8800gtx.

lol not beat i no where said it would~! i said it Rivaled (Compared) to a stock gtx

I love this forum the simplest comments can spark LOTS of debate!

+ a 400- 500 oc on that card is pretty substantial as for the technology on the card i dunno much about it

Ther eis probably a 40- 50 fps Gap between the cards

Compared to a Gt its impressive. Only oc'ed does it comes close to the gtx. it is all i ment

\

Btw turn the filters up and tell me how it performs.

But dont get me wrong I LOVE my 8600 GT Its so stable and never lets me downa dns cores decent 22k in aquamark

Edited by Vyses1

The 3870 is perfectly capable of competing with the 8800GTX, provided conditions are right. Supposedly, in some games the 2900XT was on equal terms with an 8800GTX with all the driver updates, which isn't hard to believe.

Still, all that matters is the fact that nVidia underestimated AMD, and are now taking a huge hit because of it. Their stocks are falling like boulders, they had to pay $200 million because of their defective GPUs, and the GTX series is very expensive to make.

The 3870 real world wasnt as strong as the 8800GTX was. In benchmarks, the 3870 panhandled it. Gaming, it was a little different. I dont think it was the cards fault though. Maybe the fact that Nvidia probably paid game companies to favor their cards. :P

If you are looking for just a budget, low power card, the 8800GS is pretty good. The 8800GT is around $100 now and thats decent as well. AFTER THAT, get the 4850, dont waste your time or money with the in betweens.

Dont worry about power, its all lies. As long as your PSU isnt like 4 rails with 17 amps on the first 2 rails and 12 amps on the last 2, you should be fine.

I just put together an AMD 5200+, Ultra LSP 550w PSU, and a 4850 and it runs STABLE. If you are at or under 400w, then worry about putting a load on the PSU.

Not to mention the fact the 8800 GTX is between 368$ all the way to 600+ dollars. All that bang(3870) for 180 bucks isnt bad at all so ya the gtx is better but for 150 - 400 bucks less which is the better deal?

I agree the 4850 is the best deal here but incase he is on a super stringent budget compared to what he has now. its a big improvement either way

Edited by Vyses1

The 3870 real world wasnt as strong as the 8800GTX was. In benchmarks, the 3870 panhandled it. Gaming, it was a little different. I dont think it was the cards fault though. Maybe the fact that Nvidia probably paid game companies to favor their cards. :P

If you are looking for just a budget, low power card, the 8800GS is pretty good. The 8800GT is around $100 now and thats decent as well. AFTER THAT, get the 4850, dont waste your time or money with the in betweens.

Dont worry about power, its all lies. As long as your PSU isnt like 4 rails with 17 amps on the first 2 rails and 12 amps on the last 2, you should be fine.

I just put together an AMD 5200+, Ultra LSP 550w PSU, and a 4850 and it runs STABLE. If you are at or under 400w, then worry about putting a load on the PSU.

The 4670 & 8800GS perform neck & neck until you bring overclocking into the mix, but, only one of the cards requires no external power connector. ;)

Edited by brandon
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all the advice.. Just got my stimulus check (wow did that take long) and got the ok from the boss(my wife) to go ahead and blow it on a new small form factor and a new video card. I know anything I get will beat the heck out of the x550 I have now lol.. But I figure I can spend like 375.00 on a video card and the rest I have to look into a more powerful PSU.. I was looking at this PSU

PSU..I have always used PCP&P PSU's I feel for the extra money they are well worth it. Only problem is it is not Modular but I can make it looks nice. Are they still up to par?

And this Video Card? I know it is ATI based, :mrgreen: ..But it seems it has allot of good reviews!!

GPU