Change Mode

first try with gimp

dog_soldier

i started this with linux till my computer started smoking and died. i had to do this with a windows computer using gimp. this is my very first try at "hand coloring" . i think it turned out pretty good for my first time trying this.

here is what i started with

Posted Image

and here is the finished picture

Posted Image

im trying to do this for a wedding gift for a friend and her new husband, they got married on saterday

let me know what you think :tup:

awesome job! Amazing what you can do with legally free software, isnt it? All that's left is for you to save the image to a thumbdrive, then take it down to walmart and have it printed on good photo paper!

thanks :tup: i love gimp but never messed with it much. the funny thing is i have had photoshop for about 5 years and cant do near as much as i can with gimp.

i have a photo printer that came with my kodak easyshare camera that uses kodak paper. i thought i would try that printer first and if i didnt like it i would copy it to a thumbdrive and go to walmart

Lovely pic but I would discolor the green grass by the man's waist. It distracts from the main focal point of the picture.

you are so right. i thought the same after i saved it and closed gimp. ill redo it and then print it out for them.

nice job! Was it a barn type wedding? My sister in law had a cammo wedding in June. She wore a real tree pattern dress, looked really nice. What part of PA are you from? I live in the southern part of Central PA

Edited by BlackWiddow

nice job! Was it a barn type wedding? My sister in law had a cammo wedding in June. She wore a real tree pattern dress, looked really nice. What part of PA are you from? I live in the southern part of Central PA

it was a redneck weddin. most of the guys in the weddin had some type of weapon weather it be a shot gun ,pistol with scope or skinnin knife. the groom is a farmer and his side is plum nuts.

here is a pic of the weddin party.

Posted Image

and here is the groom and his 2 brothers. the groom is in the middle.

Posted Image

it was a real fun weddin

i live on the mifflin-huntingdon county line

Edited by dog_soldier

it was a redneck weddin. most of the guys in the weddin had some type of weapon weather it be a shot gun ,pistol with scope or skinnin knife. the groom is a farmer and his side is plum nuts.

here is a pic of the weddin party.

and here is the groom and his 2 brothers. the groom is in the middle.

Posted Image

it was a real fun weddin

i live on the mifflin-huntingdon county line

glad you said it was his brothers on each side....was afraid one of 'em might have been the wife :laughing:

dogsoldier, if you save your image in gimp as a .xcf file, that is a native gimp file that maintains your layers. In other words, yes, export your final jpg, but also keep an xcf file so you can always go back an make edits without starting over completely.

SO, for this image, you cold have just opened your .xcf file and fixed the mask over the grass instead of starting over.

An xcf is the equivalent of a photoshop .psd.

Here is a .xcf of a file I started this morning for anyone who wants to try this out. It is a picture of a leaf with water droplets on it. I have desaturated the leaf and begun allowing only the rain drops to expose the color.

Have fun with it, see what you guys can do..

http://www.yousendit.com/download/bVlBY05wYUlHa05jR0E9PQ