Change Mode

security center

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, real time has nothing to do with updates, not in the main part anyway, real time protection literally means it will protect you in real time, like a firewall does, if a threat is picked up it will instantly deal with it, a standalone scanner requires you to manually run it, that is unless it states otherwise.

Now Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware are both standalone scanners, unless you have the paid versions of each you do not get real time protection, this is where you need to be aware, lets assume that you had the paid version of BOTH programs, they will both then give you real time protection, but using both together at the same time would then break the 1 at a time rule, but you can have and use as many standalone scanners that you can get, they have no issues running on the same system, that is unless one of them gives real time cover, in which case as long as you disable the one giving real time cover first you can still happily run as many scanners as you like, hope this helps understand a bit better.

forgot to thank you GUY!! Should I start a new thread on this subject?

So, in other words, my adaware is a stand alone?

Probably, but been so long since I've used it I'd be happier if someone who knows it better to confirm, but if it has an icon in the task bar (near the clock) then disable\pause\exit that prior to running the other scans for safety, if there is nothing there it would appear to confirm it is standalone, but confirm first.

forgot to thank you GUY!! Should I start a new thread on this subject?

NP, even though this is a bit hard to follow now, it is all about the same issue so keep it here now IMO, run the scans and see what comes back first.

dragonlady,

I think that your windows security center is being overridden by the norton security center. More info at their forums. Heres a link to just one of many similar posts-

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/m...d=122782#M16510

Hi Zowie - I have my security updates set to notify me before downloading and installing, so everything on the page is working, firewall, virus protection from Norton, etc. It's only when I have to restart my puter that I have to restart the security center page. Still haven't got it sorted out yet. I was asked to download malwarebytes but haven't done so as yet. I really don't think it's a malware problem, but then again, you never know. Thank you for your reply.

Hi Zowie - I have my security updates set to notify me before downloading and installing, so everything on the page is working, firewall, virus protection from Norton, etc. It's only when I have to restart my puter that I have to restart the security center page. Still haven't got it sorted out yet. I was asked to download malwarebytes but haven't done so as yet. I really don't think it's a malware problem, but then again, you never know. Thank you for your reply.

Malware is the number 1 reason for Security Center Problems IMHO.

Mark

dragonlady,

I do understand that it is working properly once you enable it. What Im saying is Norton disables it. Try opening Norton..look in options ,norton protection center options and see if theres something reguarding Windows security center. The instructions I found were from an earlier version than 2008 but could possibly still be used.

dragonlady,

I do understand that it is working properly once you enable it. What Im saying is Norton disables it. Try opening Norton..look in options ,norton protection center options and see if theres something reguarding Windows security center. The instructions I found were from an earlier version than 2008 but could possibly still be used.

Yes there is, it says "windows security center alert settings", and under that there is a box, which is unchecked, that says "show messages from windows security center. Should this be checked?

Just check it and see what happens. If it doesn't work right then uncheck it. In my opinion Norton is way more trouble than it's worth.

Mark

Edited by markcynt

Just check it and see what happens. If it doesn't work right then uncheck it. In my opinion Norton is way more trouble than it's worth.

Mark

Hey Mark, just checked it out and restarted my computer and the security center came up the way it should have. Have to thank zowie for the recommendation and for you urging me on...... :clap: thanks, I think the problem is solved, FINALLY!!!!!! LOL

dragonlady,

It recommends not using the windows security center to avoid conflicts and also so the user isnt double notified of issues. The info Ive read at the Norton forums is-- As long as your Norton Security Center is working and reporting properly theres no harm in not running windows security center its being handled by Nortons.

On a side note--I have not and probably never will use any of their products. So none of my info comes from expirence with the product just what Ive read there.

Edit---YAY :)

Edited by Zowie

dragonlady,

Hey Zowie, thank you very much, checked the box restarted puter and security center page was fine :clap:

Big thank you to Mark also for telling me to go ahead and DO IT! Who would think it could have been this simple!

Thanks again

I haven't followed this topic as I should have. If you want 'free' applications, such as antivirus, etc..please look here:

http://internetrotsyourbrain.com/rridgely/freesoftware.htm

You will need to totally get rid of Norton/Symantec, if you haven't paid for it by following the instructions here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

Now, if you continue to have problems with the 'Security Center', please try this......

Start--> Run:

In the box type--> cmd /k sc qc wscsvc Click OK, then 'enter' on the keyboard

Post the output in your reply. If it says "Success" at the top of the black Dos screen, then no need to post the output :adios:

I haven't read all the pages but in general..3rd party firewall software will disable windows firewall on startup. You can enable it again but it will be disabled everytime you boot. I know several programs outside Norton that will do this..Zone Alarm being one

As you were

Edited by ReecoSuave