Change Mode

And what happened here?

dickster

Launch Notepad, (Start > Run, type in: notepad)

copy and paste next present in the quotebox below in it:

(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\c

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\c\DefaultIcon

<NO NAME> REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll,8

Save this as fix.reg and change the "Save as type" to "All Files" and place it on your desktop. It should look like this: Posted Image

Double-click on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click "Yes" or "OK". You should receive a message that it was successful. You may delete the file afterwards

Now please reboot the machine.

No help for you dickster other than to say I had the same thing happen on my last XP install, and like you no idea how it happened. Never did figure it out but since it didn't affect anything I just left it alone.

Funny thing is that I recall being able to right click on it and select "change icon", and the default is what it showed. Still couldn't change it to anything though.

Curious problem dickster,

I looked around and thought you might want to give this solution a go:

I had this problem once & it was fixed by deleting an errant auto run file in the icon-less drive. You may find it helpful to look at a similar problem detailed here: http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?t=41697

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...cfm/972194.html

Right click the "C" drive choose Explore and see if there's a random autorun file hanging out there. If so, take it out.

:)Y