!virus!

Aluno

Valuable info should already have been backed up to cd or some other format.

If you could get the machine to work,,you could burn the info to a cd and then scan it later before putting anything back on the fresh hardrive.

:nospys: At this point, I'd try a couple of last ditch efforts. The majority of those parasites are in the Restore folder, however these are not:

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\Search_Mp3s.exe - TrojanDownloader:Win32/Swizzor.C -> Infected

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\free-MP3.exe - TrojanDownloader:Win32/Swizzor.C -> Infected

C:\WINDOWS\Win_Types\WinConst.exe->(UPXW) - Backdoor:Win32/Assasin.2_0.C -> Infected

C:\WINDOWS\Win_Types<!--POST BOX-->.dll->(ASPack 2.12) - Backdoor:Win32/Assasin.2_0.C -> Infected

C:\WINDOWS\Win_Types<!--POST BOX-->\optifwb.exe->(UPXW) - Trojan:Win32/OptixPager -> Infected

If the Search function works, look for Swizzor.C, Assasin.2_O.C & OptixPager. Delete any that show their faces (you may need to enable Show Hidden Files in File Options if it's possible.)

The other possibility, & I'm not sure if it'll work is to use a 98 or ME start up disk and manuver your way to each of the 5 directories listed above in the quote & delete each offender that way.

System restore will need to be delt with, but these are active in Windows now. Unfortunately, even if you are able to stop them from causing any more damage, Windows may very well balk at the Repair process to follow. If you do end up formatting, be sure to add another partition to save your valuables next time. ;):nospys:

ok guys

it looks like ive run out of road

I think ill have to reformat my hard disk and this time i might set up a few partitions

I cant beleive that norton didnt pick it up

oh well ill get on with it and let you know how i get on

Thanks Very much all that have helped

I now highly recomend this site and its users

Thanks again

Aluno :nuke: :beer: :)

Hey sorry to bother you again but will i encounter any problems reinstalling my brodband modem

and i have another system which is currently running on windows ME can i install XP over it and not loose any information on my hard drive

Thanks again

---------------------------------

Aluno

Upgrading will save info and settings,,but its a very buggy way to install windows.

A clean install is always much much better,,however if its just for short term use,,you may get by with it.

On the modem,,I wouldn't think you would have any problems as long as ya have the disk.

Your broadband modem should be fine, just be sure that you have the drivers available when XP asks for them.

I strongly recommend that you do not install XP on top of ME, that, to me, is trouble waiting to happen. If you are planning on using a single XP disk to do both installations, that won't work anyway....Microsoft says each computer needs it's own disk with it's own registration number and it's own activation.

edit: :mrgreen: .......volt! ;)

He may need to call microsoft and get some info from them if he is removing XP from one machine and putting it on another?? not real sure how that works,,but then I don't run XP. :mrgreen: v

He may need to call microsoft and get some info from them if he is removing XP from one machine and putting it on another?? not real sure how that works,,but then I don't run XP. :mrgreen: v

It depends on whether or not his xp was the oem version that came with the computer. If he's wanting to take it off of that comp and put it on another, microsoft doesn't like that AT ALL!

If it's been more than 120 days M$ shouldn't be a problem cuz it doesn't hold the info for that long. You should make sure you have all your drivers in order for your vid,modem,mother board,ect. when ya format all that will be gone,but so will the virus

Way to go! That was a lot quicker and less headache than the alternative! :mrgreen: Be careful out there. ;)

I agree wholeheartedly! ;) -kd5-

Archived