Change Mode

flashdrives for storage?

I'm thinking about using a flashdrve to store some music and picture files. I'd like to free up some space on my hardrive. The kids are using a lot of space with ITunes and other programs. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions?

thanks,

I wouldn't. I don't know about how secure your music and pictures would be on the flash drive over a long period of time, but I do know how easy they are to loose or reformat. I would never put something on a flash drive that I didn't have backed up somewhere.

The ultimate solution is getting a bigger hard drive, but that can be quite a pain to deal with.

An additional hard drive would be a good idea. If you have an older computer laying around you can pull the hard drive out of that and use it as a slave drive (or you could just go out and buy one and use it as a slave drive). Another solution is simply getting a portable harddrive. They're easy to use, portable, and it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to fill one up with images and music.

most any storage medium is capable of failure.

Best to have a duplicate backup on 2 different mediums

i have a WD passport USB, its cheap, easy to use and effective, couple that with a flash or as mentioned a DVD (though skip the re-writable kind, i'v had alot of those mysteriously blank out on me) make sure to validate the DVD and make sure the data you put in it is readable and working or you may have a table coaster and not realize it.

For backup purposes just set it as a data disk, and not for photos or whatever. Also don't finalize the disk or oyu won't be able to add more to it as time goes on.

Also so that you can view the pictures on the disk on most stand-alone dvd players; have a slideshow on your TV; easier if you plan ahaead and organize your photos into folders/themes/etc.