Change Mode

download

I thought of that as well so i d/l a 5 gig file from a friends server that had been split with quick par took right at 3 hours but the file came through just fine and the sum matches. I am positive i have no hardware issues, i have run wd diag disk and checked everything i can think of set and re-set settings in both firefox and opera as well as down them all.

If I was to guess it is a comcast cap for a single file size not a split file

i am no where near this 250 gig limit, so that is the only thing that it could be

Bear

Just to test duanester, if using konq and I right-click, save link as on your link http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/....0-DVD-i386.iso , then cancel or just close konq. There is as usual a .part file. Then repeating that sequence, konq does NOT offer to resume the download like it should and always has before.

On the otherhand, if I go directly to a mirror such as ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/opensuse/d...on/11.0/iso/dvd and left click, save as on openSUSE-11.0-DVD-i386.iso, then cancel/close konq, repeat, it will offer to resume the download at the point which it stopped before. That is of course provided that the save as target is the same as where the cancelled .part iso was saved.

I don't know what's up with comcast but I've had several large downloads fail recently unless I do it as above so I can resume. Frankly, my guess is that comcast's still fairly new phone service has changed their allocation of bandwidth allowances or something.

Seems like I read somewhere that comcast lost a lawsuit re large downloads/filesharing etc and is appealing now. :shrug:

Edited by John 44

John i am using a windblows machine to do this

At this point i think i am pretty much out of options unless someone

can point a new idea out

Bear

edit:

i doubt a torrent would work because the file would still be seen as a whole file of 4.3 gig

about the only way this will work is if the file is split with quck par. I say quick par because the

program creates recovery partitions making it possible to repair the d/l should it become corrupted

it has become obvious i will not be doing this with comcast, i can not wait to get FIOS when it becomes

available in my area

Edited by Bear

As suggested before, burn and use a linux live cd. Perhaps use it to create and format an ext3 partition on a hard drive, mount it, and use konq to download/resume as I showed till you get it all?

I guess it is worth a shot after work, though i am starting to think this whole thing is a comcast issue

well as you all know im no computer tech but if you think its comcast you should call them and ask them. i think its 1-800-com-cast

1-800-266-2278

Way back when i had Linux Suse 9.? installed and was told that i would have to install windows because my operating system was not compatible with the internet, (even though i was on line at the time) i tend not to call

call Comcast except about billing issues.

Bear

EDIT:

Jackel has graciously offered to send me the dvd which should be here in a few days

when i have it i will be glad to set up a link for download using quick par for anyone else

that is having problems getting the file

Bear

Edited by Bear