Change Mode

Old fashioned Recipes and Remedies?

Jacee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turpintine and sugar for a sore throat my dad used that on me one time :geezer: Never admitted to another sore throat to my dad :sparkle:

It's amazing how some of the old time medications/rememdies didn't kill, or maybe they did and no one admitted it :unsure:

Tape this inside medicine cabinet

Did You Know That? Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of

curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture

sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer . Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink

it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly -- even though

the product was never advertised for this use. ( Note : Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine is not the same..and contains aspirin, which can cause stomach bleeding if you have ulcers.)

Honey remedy for skin blemishes ... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over

it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine < < /I > > therapy for toenail fungus . Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection ... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola cure for rust ... Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer ... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in

your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409 . Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover ...just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue

off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's tomato paste boil cure ....cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters ...To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine ... a powerful antiseptic.

Heinz vinegar to heal bruises ... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kills fleas instantly . Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo

the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Goodbye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor ... Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites . All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a c! otton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief ....It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup

of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

Edited by law9933

Salt Pork...

This one came from an elder

If or when you have a bad cut or blister.

Thats badly infected all full of pus and blood poisoning is already started.

Clean the infected area the best you can with warm water.

Soak infected area in fresh warm salt water.

Take a piece of salt pork cut it and apply with clean gauze or sterile cotton cloth .....change daily.....the salt will suck out any blood poisoning and infection thats there.

Cedar..Bath Or Tea...............

Gather Cedar brush from young Cedar trees.....

gather lots about 2 arm loads and get a large pot filled with water

Boil the cedar brushes for about 20 minutes.

The fresh boiled smell will clear sinusis immediately.

You can drink the boiled cedar brush.

It becomes like a tea....very refreshing drink...

With the remaining juice you start filling up your bath

At this point you need to boil more.

At least till you half filled your tub.

Throw a few fresh unboil cedar branches in your bathe water.

Close all the lights and light a unscented candle.

Enjoy.............you will feel real good ..totally refreshed

Its great for relieving stress and its very healthy for you.

Edited by mme

Jacee I think alot of the old time cures were used more to teach people to just suck it up and don't complain :geezer: Since the cure was worse that the illness it was better to suffer in silence that's the reason those old timers were considered so tough :geezer: But I also think they killed alot of folks with those cures :yucky:

Law9933 that's a very interesting list :sparkle:

This is the strangest thing that really and truly does work...I have no idea why but I've seen it work on several(and for myself!) occasions:

The next time you have a sty on her eyelid, rub a gold wedding band (I'm sure any gold you work) on the site and it will be gone the next day. I realize this sounds stupid as HELL but it really works!

i always have to work when i'm sick, not allowed to call in sick or its pink slip lol.

but a few tylonal every couple hours gets me through the day.

when i was a kid, i dont recall any family weirdo anectodotes. usually it was nasty tasting cherry medicine or my grandpa's white lightning...moonshine.

i always have to work when i'm sick, not allowed to call in sick or its pink slip lol.

but a few tylonal every couple hours gets me through the day.

when i was a kid, i dont recall any family weirdo anectodotes. usually it was nasty tasting cherry medicine or my grandpa's white lightning...moonshine.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: ......funny cL1cKm3.exe

but seriously moonshine can be very dangerous/fatal if not properly done right

some where close by here 7 people died from a bad batch

has anyone ever mention the #1 medicine..............Chicken Soup

White Vinegar is very versatile --

Stop insect stings and bites from itching by dabbing them with a cotton ball saturated with undiluted white distilled vinegar.

Soothe sunburn with a spray of white distilled vinegar, repeating as often as you like. Ice-cold white distilled vinegar will feel even better, and may prevent blistering and peeling.

For cuts and scrapes, use white distilled vinegar as an antiseptic.

Get rid of foot odor by washing feet well with antiseptic soap daily, then soaking them in undiluted cider vinegar for 10 minutes or so. Remember that cotton socks aid odor control more effectively than wool ones.

Clean a hairbrush by soaking in a white distilled vinegar solution.

Tone facial skin with a solution of equal parts white distilled vinegar and water.

If commercial aftershaves cause rashes and itching, try using undiluted white distilled vinegar as an aftershave lotion.

Lighten body freckles (not facial freckles) by rubbing on full-strength white distilled vinegar.

Eliminate bad breath and whiten your teeth by brushing them once or twice a week with white distilled vinegar.

Make nail polish last longer. Wipe fingernails with cotton balls dipped in white distilled vinegar before putting on nail polish.

;)

I'll have to try some of the white vinegar tips theoldgardener... thanks!

Has anyone used or heard of 'Arnica' for bruises, arthritis or sore muscles?

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/arnica-000222.htm

Unlikely, but it does seem to heal a nasty bruise more quickly and it does help to mask muscle pain.

Both my husband and I use it on occasion... it might be the 'thinking power' or it really works. Try it and decide for yourself.

White Vinegar is very versatile --

It's also good to soak in if you have a poison ivy rash! My sister's step son got PI all over him! Someone told them to put small bottle in the tub full of water and soak...it worked wonders and took much of the itch away from the rash!

Humans are the only animals allergic to the oil in the poison ivy plant. The oil, from contact with the plant, does the damage -- you can get the oil from your dog or cat, from anything that may have rubbed against the plant.

Getting the oil off your skin after contact can save a lot of problems.

:(

Edited by theoldgardener

BURNS

(Including sunburn, brush burns, scrapes and chemical burns) Keep cool water with a little vinegar added in it on the area until the burning stops. The pain may last from four to six hours but continue using the compresses or soaking until you are relieved. If the burn doesn't blister, Aloe Vera gel, fluoride toothpaste or any soothing medicated cream should help. After 24 to 48 hours, if blistering has occurred, cut the blisters off and wash with povidone-iodine solution (Betadine). Coat during the day with either Betadine Cream or Neosporin, Honey, or Aloe Vera Gel, and at night apply the cream and cover area with a moist burn pad such as Second Skin which should be covered with a gauze pad. These water-impregnated bandages enhance burn healing.

Brush burns and scrapes can be treated in the same fashion but initially, use cool water compresses without any vinegar, since vinegar will sting and cause burning to an open wound. (Cool water compresses cause stinging on a brush burn anyway, because a fresh scrape is very sensitive.) Use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to disinfect and clean the area before applying the compresses. Continue to use the peroxide every hour or so to clean and disinfect and compress with the cool water afterwards until the burning stops. You can then treat it as a burn with the other recommendation. The area should be washed twice daily and any white, scabby material should be removed each time. Using the Perosice as an antiseptic before applying the burn cream is very beneficial. The burn should be raw after every washing. Rubbing the area rather than patting dry, although somewhat painful, will achieve this. (Sivadene Creme is still a prescription, at time of printing, but is very effective for pain and to promote healing.)

[Note: Honey has been used as a cure for burns since it was recommended by Aristotle. Honey retains heat, so the burn must first be cooled with cold running water or ice cubes, then honey applied to the burned area. Raw honey contains antibiotics, and promotes healing of burns leaving very few scars. Not that long ago, East Bloc medics used raw honey for burns and blisters on soldiers in the field. Miles]

:)

i have a book of natural remedies...honestly, i dont think much of them, they work fine for very mild stuff, scrapes, burns..etc as someone mentioned. but i havnt crossed any that worked as well as man made medicines when it comes to moderate pain.

some stuff like st johns wart to improve memory or whatever..took it for months and notta. so i kinda gave up on the natural stuff for now, though i still take a multi vitamin every day

some stuff like st johns wart to improve memory or whatever..took it for months and notta. so i kinda gave up on the natural stuff for now, though i still take a multi vitamin every day

you actually did take this for long period.......are there any side effects from long term use...guess you wont be getting any warts ........

Bear Grease

After a bear was killed and prepared as food....all the fat was cut and placed in a large pot....this was then cook untilall grease was melted...and put in containers.....this was used for cooking and baking.....it was also used for backaches and stiff joints just apply to your stiff joints and achy back...............it was not very good for cooking french fries and potatoe chips .....they will cook but wont turn to golden colour as a fry should.