Change Mode

Old fashioned Recipes and Remedies?

Jacee

I was thinking about my Grandma today ( I sure miss her)....

When my sister, cousin and I would spend a couple of days with her and one of us felt kinda' sick, she would give us all milk toast.

Toasted home made white bread, buttered, hot milk over the top with a bit of salt and pepper.

I think we faked our illness just to get this :mrgreen:

My sis and I have always had a cough that started deep in the lungs and sounded like a growl or we were going to blow up. Grandma made something called a 'mustard plaster' that was itchy, put it on our chests and then put one of Grandpa's teeshirts on us... never helped but we got the full dose of whatever that foul, itchy stuff was.

Anyone else remember good or gross recipes and 'fix 'em-up' remedies?

BTW... my daughter loves milk toast too! :P

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of my grandmothers made the best pies.

One made rhubarb pie with rhubarb grown in the backyard.

The other made mincemeat pie.

I still remember the smells like it was yesterday.

Mark

Do you have the recipe? My other Grandma (Dad's side) made rhubarb pie with home grown rhubarb too. It was a huge type hedge along the fence.

My Grandmother on my Mothers side used to make this to die for goulash, wish did have the recipe but i am willing to bet that those oh so great recipes that our Grandmothers and so on made where never written down

and are long gone with them.

Bear

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/product...p?idCategory=61

Deep-Dish Rhubarb-Strawberry Pie

Ingredients:

3/4 c Sugar

1/3 c Flour, sifted

1 ts Ground cinnamon

1/2 ts Ground cloves

1 lb Fresh rhubarb

1 pt Strawberries

2 T Butter or margarine

FLAKY PASTRY II (or 1/2 package pie crust mix)

Milk or cream

Sugar

FLAKY PASTRY II:

1 1/2 c Flour, sifted

1 ts Salt

1/2 c Vegetable shortening

4 T Water, cold, approx

Procedure:

Sift flour and salt into a medium bowl; cut in shortening with a fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle cold water over mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time; mix lightly with a fork just until pastry holds together and leaves sides of bowl clean. Make a ball; flatten it. Wrap dough in plastic and store in refrigerator until ready for use.

Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, and cloves in a bowl.

Wash rhubarb; trim ends; cut into 1-inch pieces (You should have 6 cups). Wash strawberries; hull and halve (you should have 4 cups). Place both in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar mixture; toss lightly to mix. Let stand 15 minutes. Toss again.

Spoon rhubarb-strawberry filling into an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish; dot with butter or margarine.

Prepare pastry. Roll out to a 10-inch square on a lightly floured surface. Cut in 1/2-inch strips with a pastry wheel or knife. Weave strips into a lattice. Cover filling. Turn ends under just enough so that strips touch sides of baking dish. Brush lattice top with milk or cream; sprinkle with sugar.

Bake in hot oven (425 F) for 40 minutes, or until pastry is golden and juices bubble up. Cool. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if you wish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhubarb Raspberry Pie

Ingredients:

basic pie pastry for a 9-inch double-crust pie

1 cup sugar

3 tbs. cornstarch

1/4 tsp. salt

1.25 lb. rhubarb stalks, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces

(about 4 cups)

2 cups raspberries

2 tbs. unsalted butter

Procedure:

Preheat an oven to 425F. Roll out the pastry for the bottom crush and use to line a 9-inch pie pan. Roll out the pastry for the top crust and set it aside. In a large bowl stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add the rhubarb and raspberries nd toss to mix well. Pile the fruit mixture into the pastry-lined pan and dot with bits of the butter. Cover with the top crust and trim and flute the edges. Cut a few vents in the top for the steam to escape.

Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350F and bake until the juices are bubbling and the crust is browned, 30-40 mi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://southernfood.about.com/od/rhubarbre...s/r/r70502c.htm

This is the exact same recipe that I could make from scratch at the age of 9, it's for "Mayonnaise Cake".

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1715,148173-234201,00.html

We never made the Brown Sugar icing, always homemade chocolate icing....more like this:

CHOCOLATE FROSTING:

1/3 c. butter, melted

1/3 c. cocoa

1/2 tsp. vanilla

2 c. powdered sugar

2 tbsp. milk (more as needed)

Whisk together butter and cocoa. Add vanilla. Mix in powdered sugar gradually and alternately with milk. Frost cool cake.

:geezer:

Pie Crust ---

Perfect Pie Crust Recipe

Print Options

* Print (no photos)

* Print (with photos)

Ingredients

All Butter Crust for Sweet and Savory Pies (Pâte Brisée)

* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling

* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon sugar

* 4 to 6 Tbsp ice water

Method

1 Cut the sticks of butter into 1/2-inch cubes and place in the freezer for 15 minutes to an hour (the longer the better) so that they become thoroughly chilled.

making-dough.jpg

Dough is ready to shape.

2 Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor; pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse 6 to 8 times, until mixture resembles coarse meal, with pea size pieces of butter. Add ice water 1 Tbsp at a time, pulsing until mixture just begins to clump together. If you pinch some of the crumbly dough and it holds together, it's ready. If the dough doesn't hold together, add a little more water and pulse again.

pie-crust-crumbles.jpg pie-crust-disc.jpg

3 Remove dough from machine and place in a mound on a clean surface. Gently shape into 2 discs. Knead the dough just enough to form the discs, do not over-knead. You should be able to see little bits of butter in the dough. These small chunks of butter are what will allow the resulting crust to be flaky. Sprinkle a little flour around the discs. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, and up to 2 days.

4 Remove one crust disk from the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes in order to soften just enough to make rolling out a bit easier. Roll out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch circle; about 1/8 of an inch thick. As you roll out the dough, check if the dough is sticking to the surface below. If necessary, add a few sprinkles of flour under the dough to keep the dough from sticking. Carefully place onto a 9-inch pie plate. Gently press the pie dough down so that it lines the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Use a pair of kitchen scissors to trim the dough to within 1/2 inch of the edge of the pie dish.

5 Add filling to the pie.

6 Roll out second disk of dough, as before. Gently place onto the top of the filling in the pie. Pinch top and bottom of dough rounds firmly together. Trim excess dough with kitchen shears, leaving a 3/4 inch overhang. Fold the edge of the top piece of dough over and under the edge of the bottom piece of dough, pressing together. Flute edges using thumb and forefinger or press with a fork. Score the top of the pie with four 2-inch long cuts, so that steam from the cooking pie can escape.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0011...t_pie_crust.php

The secret is keeping it all cold -- put the flour in the fridge for two hours before making the crust. Put the dough into two balls and wrap it in saran wrap in the fridge for an hour before rolling it out ( one upper crust and one lower in each ball ) Bring it out and let it rest for 15 minutes before rolling --- no rest, tough crust!

:)

baking the perfect

loaf of bread at home

Formula and process created by

Jim Lahey, owner of Sullivan St Bakery.

formula

3 cups (430g) flour

1½ cups (345g or 12oz) water

¼ teaspoon (1g) yeast

1¼ teaspoon (8g) salt

olive oil (for coating)

extra flour, wheat bran, or cornmeal (for dusting)

equipment

Two medium mixing bowls

6 to 8 quart pot with lid

(Pyrex glass, Le Creuset cast iron, or ceramic)

Wooden Spoon or spatula (optional)

Plastic wrap

Two or three cotton dish towels (not terrycloth)

process

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add water and incorporate by hand or with a wooden spoon or spatula for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Lightly coat the inside of a second medium bowl with olive oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest 12 hours at room temperature (approx. 65-72°F).

Remove the dough from the bowl and fold once or twice. Let the dough rest 15 minutes in the bowl or on the work surface. next, shape the dough into ball. Generously coat a cotton towel with flour, wheat bran, or cornmeal; place the dough seam side down on the towel and dust with flour. Cover the dough with a cotton towel and let rise 1-2 hours at room temperature, until more than doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 450-500°F. Place the pot in the oven at least 30 minutes prior to baking to preheat. Once the dough has more than doubled in volume, remove the pot from the oven and place the dough in the pot seam side up. Cover with the lid and bake 30 minutes Then remove the lid and bake 15-30 minutes uncovered, until the loaf is nicely browned.

A very good party bread for dipping or whatever -- good flavor!! :)

similar to your freshwater drum fish........

Posted Imagecooked right beside open fire....stuff it with onions...sprinkle it with salt and pepper.....add this to vegatables ....rice.....or mash potatoes......

i have quite a variety of recipes.....i grew up in the bush ..for those of you in the city ... are you ready[/b

I remember Mom used to rub Vicks VapoRub on my chest when I had a cold and shoved me under a tent she made out of sheets, along with an antique vaporizer that made enough "fog" to supply the world.......Still love the smell of Vicks....

Now on to another recipe, it's not old, (old to me) but I love it!!

Shrimp Creole

Ingredients

* 1 pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp in shells

* 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)

* 1/2 cup chopped celery

* 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper

* 2 cloves garlic, minced

* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine

* 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained

* 1/2 teaspoon paprika

* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

* 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley

* 2 cups hot cooked rice

Directions

1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, removing tails. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.

2. In a large skillet cook onion, celery, sweet pepper, and garlic in butter over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in undrained tomatoes, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 8 minutes or until thickened.

3. Stir shrimp and parsley into tomato mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque. Seaston to taste. Serve over rice.

4. Makes 4 servings

5. Fish Creole: Prepare as above, except substitute 12 ounces fresh or frozen skinless, firm-fleshed fish fillets (such as catfish, cod, or grouper) for the shrimp. Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add fish to tomato mixture with parsley. Cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until fish begins to flake when tested with a fork.

I prefer a touch more Cayenne pepper, but I have gotten it too "hot" and the wife and kids wouldn't eat it.....all the more for caintry!!! :P

edit: Credit where credit is due....this comes from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. We had one where I used to work, tried it at home and loved the recipe, still eating it today. ;)

Edited by caintry_boy

Here's another favorite of mine, from B, H, & G again:

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Ingredients

* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

* 1/3 cup cooking oil

* 3 cups water

* 12 ounces cooked smoked turkey sausage links, quartered lengthwise and sliced

* 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken or 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken :filtered: or thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces

* 2 cups sliced okra or one 10-ounce package frozen whole okra, partially thawed and cut into 1/2-inch slices

* 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)

* 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 small)

* 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)

* 4 cloves garlic, minced

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

* 3 cups hot cooked rice

Directions

1. For roux, in a medium heavy saucepan stir together flour and oil until smooth. Cook and stir constantly over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir constantly about 15 minutes more or until a dark, reddish brown color is reached; cool.

2. Place water in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in roux. Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, sweet pepper, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.

3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Skim off fat. Serve gumbo over hot cooked rice. Makes 6 servings.

We love it so much that I make a "double" batch. Once again I like to add some extra Cayenne pepper and a touch of Cajun seasoning....;)

For earache salt was warmed up in an pan

put in cloth bag and placed on earache

the heat was quite soothing

When diptheria was around

it was fatal to my fathers first wife

to kill the germs Sublime Sulphur was burned

it created a harsh smoke that was awful

When our dog had worms

we used black gun powder from .12gauge shells

mixed it in his food ..........

this was done when you had no access to proper treatment

I grew up in the days of hot toddy. ick .. that stuff was nasty.

I do have my own brew ... works great. For some people ... it puts themt to sleep.

Some skinned ginger root chopped into small bits,

one clove of galic ... boil in a small sauce pan with one cup of water.

Strain out garlic and ginger. Add a half spoon of lemon ... drink while warm.

I use three doses a day .. usaully by third day ... all is well. :)

Blood Sausage.

Used to wonder why my grandfather would save the blood from a pig as it was being drained before butchering.

Then watched my grandmother make this blood sausage.

That was enough for me to know I would never eat sausage at my grandparents house again :lol: