Change Mode

Inhereted Inspiron 6000 w/ OS problem

Aloha,

Wondered if anyone can help me with a laptop I have inherited. It had been setup with two OS.....done wrong of course, :rolleyes: but would like help to undo this and restore this machine to it's original OS (Windows XP....will have to get back on what version it is) and then tackle the immense virus problem it has. Not sure where this topic belongs. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

I was referred here for a fix on this machine by a very reliable source who helped me fix my PC virus prob. Anybody interested in helping me? Thank you!

Mahalo,

Pueo_girl :h3lp:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the W-XP -- operating system disc from the manufacturer?

To my knowledge, that is why this person used a PC system disc for Window XP Home edition. It was not setup properly and done in desperation from all the virus chaos and pop-ups. They freaked out and installed it to even just access some kind of "workable" desktop. So.....to answer your question, no. Sorry, but I felt I needed to explain. Thanks for the reply though!

Mahalo,

Pueo_girl :)

it might have a restore partition that would restore the lappy to as new.

what i would try(backup any needed files first) is restart the lappy and keep tapping the one of the f keys until it boots. start from F12 if nothing happens, reboot and try again this time tapping the F11 key, etc, until it either boots into a restore page or you've gone through all the keys and found nothing except the windows safe mode page.

if it comes to a restore page then restore with format this will totally clean your pc of any viruses too.

if no restore page is loaded then it didn't come with windows preinstalled and you should have a disc.

if using the disc and you have no important files just do a completly new install with format again this will give you a clean pc.

hope this is of some help to you.

good luck. :tup:

edit:- :blushing::wp:

Edited by terry1966

Thanks for the reply I'll try that and post the outcome.

Please note: the system disc for the laptop is no where to be found. They used a system disc from a friend's home computer.

Aloha,

Pueo_girl

Edited by Pueo_girl

That didn't work. Basically, I want to remove the OS that was crudely installed and just repair the original OS and it's virus problems.

In the setup/boot page, it does not even recognize the original OS, just the second one. If I go into My Computer there are options for the C: drive as well as the F: drive, but for some odd reason I cannot choose to bootup with the original OS. Help!

I don't believe on too much info when it comes to trying to analyze or diagnose a computer system. I need all the help I can get.

Mahalo,

Pueo_girl

That computer should have a restore partition on it. Reboot the system and as soon as you see the Dell logo, a black screen will appear with a bright blue line across the top of the monitor that says Dell.com. This only appears for a couple seconds as the computer boots. As soon as you see this screen, hit the keys "ctrl" and "F11" at the same time. You got to be quick or you will miss it. May take a couple times to get it right. Once you get it right a restore screen will appear that should put the computer back to the way it came from the factory.

Aloha Signman,

I try it again and be sure to try and catch that screen. Once in there though, do I need to do anything or does it do its thing automatically? Obviously, I've never done this before. :unsure:

Thank you for the reply and again, I'll post the outcome. :bigsmile:

Dell computers don't always ship with a restore partition most that I've worked on ship with an operating system disk and a driver/software disk. You might be able to order replacement disks for a small sum of money or you could buy an OEM operating system disk for about $90 then download the drivers from Dell.

Might I suggest that the amount of time wasted cleaning up a badly infected system would be better spent doing a clean install and enjoy the computer :geezer:

Aloha mouse!

I concur!!! I would love to start enjoying the computer. So far the attempts at doing the restore as the previous member have tried to help with, did not pan out. It seems this one does not have a restore partition.

As far as the replacement disks, any reputable site you recommend ordering these from?

This sounds like the only way to go right now. Thank you for the advice and if you could reply with a link or website then I'll start looking today.

Mahalo,

Pueo_girl

You could contact Dell to see if you can get a bargin price since you actually own a Dell even it was used :cr@sh: Some times the builder will provide the disks for a nominal fee like $25. It's getting a bit hard to get your hands on OEM XP disks(usually run about $90) but I usually check Pricewatch and look for a vendor with at least a 4 star rating :geezer: Frankly I don't buy retail versions of operating systems since I can do my own troubleshooting so won't pay extra for tech support from MS :blushing:

Footnote: I loved Hawaii when I was there are business it was my idea of what heaven would be like

Edited by mouse

Hey mouse!

glad to hear you've made it over to Hawaii and enjoyed it. Hope you can make it back again soon it's still heavenly (even with computer problems)!

Called Dell to try & get help with getting some disks. Sorry to say they weren't much into selling me the disks but rather have me purchase the Dell On-call contract for $239.00.

Taking this comp to a tech locally is kind of my last resort. I even read quite a few of David Goddell's post on partition recovery. It's a bit intimidating for my my abilities which are already limited at this point. I'm kind of at a loss and really don't know what to do :mrsgreen:

Anything else I could try? BTW, if hitting the beach would help to restore my computer...I'd have been there 3 days ago! B) Thank you for the help!

Aloha,

Pueo_girl

Partition recovery is a pretty daunting task in the case of this laptop I wouldn't even tackle it simply because you already know it badly infected. As for Dell their tech support is like everybody else trying to make a buck but it's possible that you can order the disks on their website maybe under support. Don't take the computer to someone to repair you can handle it yourself once you get an operating system disk.

Here's a thought if the computer still has it's windows cd key sticker all you will need to do is borrow an XP disk of the same version (XP home or XP Pro). Then you can do a clean install of the operating system just be sure to use the cd key from your laptop.

As to Hawaii I was only there for a week but had a chance to make the Diamond Head climb also did a tour of all the important WWII sites. Pearl Harbor was spooky and haunted to me.

"Here's a thought if the computer still has it's windows cd key sticker all you will need to do is borrow an XP disk of the same version (XP home or XP Pro). Then you can do a clean install of the operating system just be sure to use the cd key from your laptop."

I had the thought of someone else's CD, but that a key sticker being there I didn't.

http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Thanks again you guys! I put out the call again today for the OS disks. I practically begged for my "gift giver" to try and find them.

In the mean time, if you all think of anything else to try, I'll be checking for new posts. I will definitely post any progress with the recovery.

Thank you for your time!

Ahhh law9933 the only reason I thought of it is because when I work on other folks computers I always use their cd key if I have to use my disks :geezer: Usually it's on systems that can't boot into windows so Jelly bean isn't an option :sparkle: Just like I use their cd key any time I do a repair non-distructive of the operating system.

Pueo_girl best of luck and glad if we helped you get on with enjoying your computer :clap: Please do keep us posted on how things work out. Now go enjoy some beach time :P

Well mouse, I don't mean to ask a "stupid" question but say I borrow the disks from someone else, where would I find the cd key?

I thought that this lappy had XP Pro on it but it actually has XP Media Center Edition 2005. To be completely and embarrassingly honest about it, I've never heard of it. I think this one may be a little harder to come by. Is XP Pro or Home okay to do a clean install on this laptop?

Aloha,

Pueo_girl

No such thing as a "stupid" question only the unasked question :sparkle: As to the cd key it should be on a sticker on the case of the laptop it might called product key :cr@sh: If there is no sticker then if you can access the operating system at all download and run a program called Magic Jelly Bean it will recover the cd key for you to write down and use when it comes time to install the operating system.

XP Media Edition was one of releases of XP between orginial release and the release of Vista. You can use the cd key with any version of XP I think but since I've always used Home edition to home edition cd keys not totally sure. Before you do the clean install of the operating system make sure to get all the drivers for the laptop hardware from Dell.

Using the model number of the laptop or the serial number should get you to the right drivers nothing like a clean install of an operating system only to have most of the hardware not work because of no drivers.

Keep the questions coming so that you have what you need in the way of information to do this successfully.

Will do mouse. Thanks for the continued advice and support!

The only other thing I have to mention is that this lappy does not have any connectivity right now. I tried for two days to troubleshoot this problem to no avail. :cr@sh: So as far as the drivers, I will have to save them onto a CD from my desktop PC and then run it on the laptop.

I may have gotten this lappy for free but I'm paying for it with my sanity and patience. :blink: I'll keep posting my progress and will check for new posts.

Mahalo,

Pueo_girl

"I'm paying for it with my sanity and patience"

Yes, but you may learn a little, make a freind & have found a forum with the best help. As mentioned a XP CD with a key will get get you going. Even a bought Vista CD if the PC can handle it will get it running. (the PC was free))

Thank you for the kind and positive words! You all have been so great and have given me some great advice. I have definitely learned a lot and found you all to be awesome at what you do! :rocks:

As soon as I can get my hands on some disks, I will let you know and I'm sure I'll get help I need on this forum to get this done. :hiya:

Mahalo,

Pueo_girl